The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silken Glass Mystery by Magic Wagon (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2268 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
The latest Magic Wagon release, Silken Glass Mystery , is now available.

Here is the description from Magic Wagon’s website:

A beautiful wooden frame containing a sheet of Plexiglas is displayed. Affixed to the middle of the frame is a small wooden arm with a star trap which can be moved across the glass. The performer now taps on the sheet of Plexiglas to prove that it is solid. He then moves the star trap to where he just tapped and immediately pushes a silk right through the glass! The star trap is then slid away showing that the sheet of Plexiglas is completely unharmed and still perfectly solid! This can be repeated again at other positions on the glass, if desired. Finally, the wooden arm is removed and the frame can be shown on both sides leaving the spectator no explanation as to how the silk could possibly go through! It is a truly baffling penetration effect.

This is basically a smaller version of a very rare Magiro effect. Based on a classic glass penetration, Magiro has elevated it to a new level by having the hexagon shape of the glass inside a very slim wooden frame which makes the illusion incredibly deceptive.

The frame stands approximately 18.5 cms high and 14 cms wide and is completely hand-crafted from natural aged teak wood and finally adorned with 20 brass screws.

Here is the magical link: http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=180

So? What do you think of this one?

Simon Smile

P.S. Thanks to Mr Tony Curtis for the picture above!
TrylleJan
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of TrylleJan
I bought it, and are excited to get it, but a bit worried after the debate on Facebook. The mummy was really nice
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2268 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, TrylleJan wrote:
I bought it, and are excited to get it, but a bit worried after the debate on Facebook. The mummy was really nice

Hi TrylleJan! Which debate are you referring to, or what are you worried about regarding the Silken Glass Mystery?

Simon
guyjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Don't mind me and my
224 Posts

Profile of guyjr
Here is my review of Silken Glass Mystery. (copied from the Secret Sessions forum)

The build quality, as usual, is of the highest quality. That fresh "new teak" smell when first opening the package is unmistakable. And the apparatus and mechanics involved in the illusion work very, very smoothly. Overall, upon first inspection and evaluation, this prop is built to last.

The presentation of the effect involves showing the solid plexiglass being impenetrable by tapping at various points around the glass. If the instructions are being followed as written, this part can only be done while the prop is facing the spectator from one side - no flipping of the prop to the other side can be done. Now, I do think it might be possible to accomplish that, but some "fiddling" would be required before the next phase of the presentation could begin.

Once the spectator is convinced that the glass is solid, the performer chooses a spot on the glass, taps once again to insure it is solid, and then rotates the wood handle with a hole / star in the middle to that position. The performer then presses a solid clear stick into the hole, through the glass, and out the other side.

Once that feat is accomplished, the stick can be removed, and another position on the glass chosen. The handle is then rotated to the new position, and this time, a silk is pushed through the star opening with the rod, and then fed through the other side by the performer. As it hangs at its midpoint, the entire display can be turned now to show, from the side, the fact that the silk truly has pushed through the glass. (It may also be possible, at a bit more of a distance, to turn it fully, but I would recommend that being one continuous motion, and not to linger on the reverse side).

Now the silk can be removed, and the wooden handle rotated to its furthest counterclockwise position (about 7 o'clock). The brass screw which holds it in place can now be unscrewed, allowing the wooden handle to be removed, and the glass shown on all sides to be perfectly, inexplicably, solid!

One note about this final revelation - removing the screw, to me, is a little hokey, because it takes a few seconds to actually get it unscrewed. It is also important not to fully unscrew it, so there is quite a bit of care and handling required in order to safely remove the wooden handle. But, I'm sure with practice, this can go smoothly, and really does create a very convincing illusion at the end that the glass is one solid piece that could not possibly have allowed the illusion just witnessed to have been performed.
TrylleJan
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of TrylleJan
I am worried about the issue that the glass I not glass, but plexiglass. That means if there are coming scratches on the plexiglass it’s broken. And the handeling with the screw, is a bit awkward as Guy jr. say.

The debate is on Facebook MW group Smile
TrylleJan
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of TrylleJan
Someone who have a alternative presentation?
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
I have a paltry
121 Posts

Profile of Inviso
I have not handled this so there may be an obvious reason why not, but, why not perform it in the reverse order.
Show the glass solid, insert it in the bracket and attach the arm, then perform the penetrations.

Yes, TrylleJan, scratches might be a big concern.

Randy
TrylleJan
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of TrylleJan
Thanks for the reply
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Silken Glass Mystery by Magic Wagon (2 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL