The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Harry Houdini and the Winchester Mystery House (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Noog
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Noog
Hi all,

My sister just recently took a tour of the Winchester House and she told me something odd. She says the tour guide told her that Harry Houdini visited the House after Sarah Winchesters passing to do a seance. The tour guide claims that after that seance, Houdini's skepticism regarding seances and spirits was somehow shaken. I can't find any information that corroborates this and I find the idea pretty counter to what I've read of his desire to debunk the whole idea of seances. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

thanks
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'd love to hear more .. What investigative functions have you undertaken? Smile This would have had to have happened between 1922 and 1926... Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Sounds like typical tour guide nonsense to me.

However, I would love to be proven wrong about this.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
For inquiring minds, more info from John Cox, the amazing compiler of all things Houdini:

https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/search?q=Winchester
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2018, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Sounds like typical tour guide nonsense to me.

However, I would love to be proven wrong about this.

Agree, sounds like tour guide dramatic exaggeration (perhaps innocently or in forgivable ignorance) but taking freedom with facts to enhance a story and make it more memorable to the general tourist.
Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2018, gmeister wrote:
For inquiring minds, more info from John Cox, the amazing compiler of all things Houdini:

https://www.wildabouthoudini.com/search?q=Winchester

Some amazing stuff here .. Unfortunately Edward Saint is anything but.......
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
278 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
I used to be a tour guide at The Winchester Mystery House. Houdini did indeed visit after Sarah passed away, but no, his skepticism was unaffected. There is a LOT of stuff in the script we had to follow that is either exaggeration or just false.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
When I visited the Winchester house, I saw an article describing the visit. I forget the specifics, but it indeed documents the event to some degree.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Edward Saint wanted to have another Seance there after the FINAL Seance hoax ... Smile Smile
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
We're going there in July. My wife signed us up for the "Explore More" tour, so maybe we see more than the regular tour?
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Noog
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Noog
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, Wizard of Oz wrote:
We're going there in July. My wife signed us up for the "Explore More" tour, so maybe we see more than the regular tour?

My sister wanted to go on that tour, but couldn't. I guess you get to see more rooms that were damaged in an earthquake. Grill the tour guide about Houdini for me and report back. Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'm reading a book about this house now......
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, Wizard of Oz wrote:

DON'T take the "Explore More" tour. I have a friend, er ... had a friend, who took that tour and well, er ... he's gone, somewhere, I guess.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Just an observation: It is pretty amazing that overall Magicians and Mentalists do not believe in anything supernatural yet we try to portray such things in our act(s). I am in no way trying to sound like a smart ass but isn't that a bit closed minded? Maybe you folks should try and book a night at the Villisca Ax Murder house or take a walk at 3:00 am in a local cemetery...I can pretty much promise you will not be disappointed. From an early age and throughout my life I have indeed experienced paranormal activtiy...no, I do not do drugs...no I do not drink. Why do you think most of my inventions and performances gravitate towards this area, I am intrigued. Isn't there anyone out there who experienced anything?? Maybe it is time for an honest discussion. I noticed when a close loved one passes away sometimes shortly after you will have some sort of experience and it isn't wishful thinking...just curious..reply please.
dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
278 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
If any of you want a good book on the actual story behind Sarah Winchester, I HIGHLY recommend reading the book Captive of the Labyrinth by Mary Jo Ignoffo
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2018, dorian_faust wrote:
If any of you want a good book on the actual story behind Sarah Winchester, I HIGHLY recommend reading the book Captive of the Labyrinth by Mary Jo Ignoffo

That's the one I'm reading ... Smile
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2018, dorian_faust wrote:
I used to be a tour guide at The Winchester Mystery House. Houdini did indeed visit after Sarah passed away, but no, his skepticism was unaffected. There is a LOT of stuff in the script we had to follow that is either exaggeration or just false.

Here's the November 1924 article from The Oregon Daily documenting Houdini's visit, currently on display at the Winchester House's rifle museum. Houdini makes it clear that he considers the building an example of the mental ills which purportedly befall believers in Spiritualism (against which his presentations were intended to warn):
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dYOtHVh3gw4/W......ster.jpg
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2018, Necromancer wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2018, dorian_faust wrote:

Here's the November 1924 article from The Oregon Daily documenting Houdini's visit, currently on display at the Winchester House's rifle museum. Houdini makes it clear that he considers the building an example of the mental ills which purportedly befall believers in Spiritualism (against which his presentations were intended to warn):
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dYOtHVh3gw4/W......ster.jpg

Well .. The book seems to give a few reasons why the place was so misunderstood... Houdini could have been 180 degrees off ... Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
While someone being duped into building another Winchester Mystery House is highly unlikely, it is important to note that there are still shut-eye psychics out there who unintentionally create similar harm in their clients.

I am a member of a Paranormal Research Group, and yesterday at our bi-weekly meeting, we discussed several cases where clients had contacted us to investigate their hauntings. We found out that they had previously contacted another group and/or psychic, who filled their heads with nonsense. Now we have a case where the client believes that he is being tormented by fairies and trolls. There's probably a quite rational explanation for all of his phenomenon, but now that he is convinced of this particular reality, it will be nearly impossible to dissuade him of his paradigm.

While I don't see him building his own Mystery House, he is having trouble living a normal life now.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Harry Houdini and the Winchester Mystery House (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL