The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » FCMers in shape? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Any FCMers out there want to join me on a "Keto" diet? A tremendous amount already written about this particular diet, check the subject out at any Barnes and Noble bookseller. The book I am reading through/using is "Keto Clarity" with internist, fellow and professor Dr. Eric C. Westman, MD of Duke University. I have been convicted about this as if I want to effectively do Gospel magic for another decade with all the energy it requires, can't do it as well 100 pounds overweight... Any fellow sojourners with me?
Kim Van Weert
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
19 Posts

Profile of Kim Van Weert
Best wishes on your weight loss journey.Seven years ago (1/1/2011) I took steps to reduce my weight.
I weighed in at 153.7kg (339 lbs)- no wonder I found doing shows tough going!
Things got so bad that I would get down on my knees seemingly to get on the same level as my kid volunteers but actually it was to rest my sore back during the show! Several of my magic friends after seeing me work shared their concerns about my weight...probably figured the shows would kill me.

I didn't do any special diets. I thought to myself "I am twice the size I should be - so I'll eat only eat half as much as I have been.Later, when I got healthier I started to eat more fruit and vegetables. My taste buds started to appreciate other tastes other than sugar and fat. My guiding principle was "all things - in moderation". All the food groups had something to offer.

When I started exercising (second week), I could only walk for ten minutes (then the back would kick in). I had a stomach hernia so most of my exercise was leg based. Walking (later running), swimming (good for those with bad backs) and exercise bike were my weapons of choice. I ended up exercising for hours - and enjoying it. My guiding principle there was "push but don't break".

The main thing is to get your head in the right place. Sort out the muscle between the ears and the rest will follow.
In 60 weeks I went from 153.7kg to 66.6kg (147 lb) losing 56% of my original weight. All up I lost 87kg (192 lb).

Here is the address of a youtube video that a local television program did on my to inspire you to success!...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_rmXufq6tY

Go for it!...grab that better future!
Kim
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Thanks so much! I realize now that simply wearing all black or loud Hawaiian shirts for my magic programs really is not addressing my root costuming issue. 🤗 Fantastic video link story above, wow! Very much appreciate your encouragement/success.
Kim Van Weert
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
19 Posts

Profile of Kim Van Weert
You will find that not only will you dress more stylishly, your performance style will change too. Also people will relate to you differently. I've found that I'm doing more grown up shows rather than kid shows even though my advertising hasn't changed. You're taken more seriously rather than just dismissed as a clownish kids entertainer (not that there is anything wrong with that - I've built my career on it).

The added bonus is stylish skinny clothes are a darn sight cheaper than the tents I had to have made or bought at the "Big Men's" store. Smile

Someone asked me today why I decided to lose the weight. My reply was brief..."Death". Facing up to the fact if don't look after the temple God has given us - then that temple ruin will fall down sooner than later. Smile

Believe...and change your life friend!
Best wishes
Kim
fogelka
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of fogelka
Great decision. I can't journey with you, because I already used the Keto diet to lose about 40 lb a few years ago. It happened very quickly - maybe 4-5 months. Since then, I have not put the weight back on. I'm just very careful to consume as little sugar as I can, and keep the carbs limited to vegetable and fruits, rather than breads, pasta, etc.

Go for it!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I am down 7 pounds already, "Keto" diet really does work. Well worth the effort. It is a "boring" diet I will admit- my eating hot dogs and hamburgers for most of my meals is not exactly thrilling. But having green olives for lunch today, so that is exciting Smile Give it a try, this simple diet has already started to loosen up my clothes a little bit.
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Hope the green olives weren't in a cocktail L-O-L -forgive me - felt ha ha
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
That's funny. Lots of nuts (almonds) on this diet. Sidebar: By the way, if any FCMers will be at the IBM convention in July in Grand Rapids, check out Baker Books bookstore on E. Paris Avenue just north of 28th Street. Best Christian bookstore on the planet including having a massive used book section.
Valleydad
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Valleydad
The wife and I have been doing the keto diet for just over 100 days now and we love it!

I haven't found the diet to be boring, lots of vegetables (in butter!) Hamburger, steak, pork chops and fish (frequently in butter!)

My wife makes a great treat consists of whipped cream mixed with sugar free instant pudding or jello (think of an awesome replacement for ice cream).

She got a lot of her ideas from a YouTube channel called keto connect(a little rough language and they play rap music during the shopping segments) So far I've lost about 25 pounds and stayed in ketosis for the whole time. Hope to see you at Indianapolis.

Jim
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I hope to drive to Indy for at least one day at the upcoming FCM convention for sure. Looking forward to it!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I'm very happy to see this subject come up, particularly in this forum. I see many Christians who are in denial about this subject, even joking that "Christians like to eat". Overeating is just as destructive to the body as smoking or drinking.

We are currently on a combination of the Keto diet and the OMAD (one meal a day) diet. However, someone said above, if you're head is in the right place no diet will succeed.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Update: Keto does work, even for me who does not exercise much. Down 28 pounds since June 6, another 12 to go. All my old magic clothes fit again!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Down 39 pounds on Keto. Just watched "The Magic Pill" on Netflix, very interesting...
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Total sidebar: Check out the book available everywhere (I got mine from a local Barnes and Noble) with an Ace of Spades type of cover. Looks like a giant red Bicycle deck so it definitely catches a magician's eye. It's called "Declare War: The 4 Keys To Winning The Battle With Yourself" by Levi Lusko (W Publishing, 2018). You'll find it in the "Christian Living" type section of the book store. Lusko goes through the four "cards" in fighting a huge problem: me, myself and I - including anger, depression, self-pity, isolation, anxiety, moodiness - in how to actually stop being our own worst enemy. Written in a contemporary fresh style, it is a very helpful honest book I think. This book could act as a "theme" for a comprehensive adult Gospel magic seminar perhaps, who knows. I am convinced completely with Duane Laflin's excellent "It Should Go Without Saying" (pages 6-7) priority comments from his "Making the Point with Gospel Magic" book (1991).
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Whoops, the name of the book mentioned above is "I Declare War", I forgot the "I" in the title. Great beneficial read, highly recommended. ***** 5 stars.🐇
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Time for an update...how's it going?
S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Down 55 pounds, probably will get back on Keto in the next few weeks when it finally warms up around here so I can start walking, etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » FCMers in shape? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL