The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Like doing effects with plastic straws? Screw it. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
First they were talking about getting rid of cash, (and I do about a million tricks with bills) now they want to and are actively ridding the world of "polluting" plastic straws.

Give me a break!

Why is it that every time I build my repertoire with A given item, they get the brainless idea of doing away with it!

Arrrrrrrggghhhhhh!!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I know it is FRUSTRATING but think about how much trash is piling up with no place to go. For what? so we can do tricks and suck?

This proliferation of plastic was a bad idea from the start.

I'm hoping that the aversion to plastic may keep us in paper bills a little longer. I just came up with something I love.

People who did tricks with collar stays and button hooks had to change with the times and so will we. Sigh.

-Mary Mowder
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Or the instructions you see in old magic books... "borrow a top hat from an audience member." When was the last time that happened?

I would imagine they will go back to paper straws.

Randi
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
There were a lot of Magicians bemoaning the passing of paper straws. I guess they're back in business (if they are still with us). I guess I know at least one paper straw trick so some of us are still here.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I remember Kolar's string and straw trick. It must be as old as I am. I've never seen anyone do it.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2018, Mary Mowder wrote:
There were a lot of Magicians bemoaning the passing of paper straws. I guess they're back in business (if they are still with us). I guess I know at least one paper straw trick so some of us are still here.

-Mary Mowder

Until they decide that THOSE are polluting, then we're back to square one. I respect you guys' opinions on it, but to me it's just the last straw!!

No? The straw that broke the camel's back?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Umm I'm pretty certain paper is a better long term solution in the long run. Your "repertoire" vs long term sustainability of the planet it is no contest and you lose badly.

To do the trick from Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic you need a paper straw. So I was upset when those got rough to find.

Plastic really is not a good thing for our environment. People do not use it properly and if we have an alternative why not use it?

Solution for you? Stock up on plastic now.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Believe me, I am.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Or adapt and create and grow.

Nobody can take away your creative mind no matter what happens. Use that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That's one thing we never have to worry about. That's running on 8 cylinders.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Use hemp straws.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Something recyclable. Reusable straws are a challenge to keep clean.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I miss these from my childhood:

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Flavoring-S......74ZHPKXS

Are these made of paper still?
john G
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of john G
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2018, landmark wrote:
I miss these from my childhood:

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Flavoring-S......74ZHPKXS

Are these made of paper still?

They're plastic now
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Alas, we don't see much magic with cigarettes any more. And there were some great acts with the buggers (think of Cardini). But not to worry too much about straw magic, if you keep and reuse a stash of straws. People don't use thimbles that much; but I don't know if they've lost their magic yet. ps, there are fake cigarettes out there...so even that magic doesn't have to disappear! Lynn
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Try to borrow a "dime" from a spectator. That is a laugh. Among those who no longer carry cash, even lass carry coins. I have a little pill jar full of dimes I introduce and allow the spectator to pick one..
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2018, Cliffg37 wrote:
Try to borrow a "dime" from a spectator. That is a laugh. Among those who no longer carry cash, even lass carry coins. I have a little pill jar full of dimes I introduce and allow the spectator to pick one..

LOL! Same goes for half dollars; and yet, it's the go-to coin for a lot of magicians!...and we can't forget the "foreign" (copper/odd shaped etc) coins. Just a thought, but the Kennedy half dollar must seem "foreign" to magicians outside the US! Coins seem like they'll become as scarce as the plastic straws. Difference of course is that they wont end up in the trash!!! And I got this feeling that coin magic will be here for a long time. Lynn
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2018, daffydoug wrote:
First they were talking about getting rid of cash, (and I do about a million tricks with bills) now they want to and are actively ridding the world of "polluting" plastic straws.

Give me a break!

Why is it that every time I build my repertoire with A given item, they get the brainless idea of doing away with it!

Arrrrrrrggghhhhhh!!

So somebody moved your cheese. Get over it, find new stuff to do.

By the way, there is no doubt that plastic pollutes. There’s no need for quotation marks as if the matter were up to debate. And reducing the amount of plastic in our landfills is anything but “brainless.” Paper, not so much.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I heard they were trying to get rid of magicians as well. Smile Yeah and plastic bottles and bags as well. Seems like they want to cause magicians a lot of hassle lol. I need to stock up for about 20 years worth. Although I kinda doubt they will actually get rid of everything. I also hate when Bicycle keeps changing the cases and adding those stupid stickers and APP logos on them or whatever.

I use the old Rider Back boxes to match all of my gimmicked decks from the 80's/90's. So I always have to stock up on vintage decks when I find them. Luckily The USPCC sells classic tucks (boxes) at least. Sometimes it is even hard to find glass bottles around here which is what they want to go back to. They just need to get the littering under control not get rid of everything. It is recycled anyway usually, they just need to get it under control and people need to stop being morons and carelessly throwing it everywhere except the garbage. But I am pretty stocked as of now. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I can already picture people on eBay selling "rare plastic straws" for $100 like they did Twinkies when they quit making them. Then Twinkies came back shortly after lol.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Like doing effects with plastic straws? Screw it. (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL