The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Slot Box handllings (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
321 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I'm looking for routines, handlings, techniques specifically for a Slot Box.

I've played around with a standard Okito box for quite a while and recently came into a matching Slot Box... no "instructions." The gimmick and basic "move" are obvious, but I'd like to develop a full routine exploiting the gimmick and would appreciate any source references.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26811 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
David Roth described some of his ideas in his book and videos.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
There is a book you can get from Dayton magic, or at least you get it with the Jim Zee set of boxes. I know at one point David Roth would sell you his booklet as well, but I'm not sure how you would go about getting a hold of him. Maybe one of the NYC magi would know.
Degio
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Degio
You may want also to have a look at Luis Piedrahita's interpretation of David Roth work:
15tahures
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of 15tahures
I love that one, Degio.
Wilktone
View Profile
Loyal user
Asheville, NC
204 Posts

Profile of Wilktone
Quote:
David Roth described some of his ideas in his book and videos.

I'm currently just finishing off the coin box chapters in "Expert Coin Magic" and I'm pretty certain there is no discussion in it on slot boxes. However, the routine "Out/In/Out" described in the book is taught by Roth using a slot box in his Penguin Live lecture.

All that said, almost any routine that uses a single coin steal with a normal Okito box can easily be altered to use a slot box. With a normal box a spillout steal will get you the top coin inside the box, but with a slot box you'll retain the bottom coin, so it won't work if you specifically need to get another coin out other than the bottom coin.

You can use a slot box as a normal Okito box, if you want. You'll need to be more cognizant of how your spilling the coins out of the box if you don't want to retain one, and you might not be able to let your spectators dump the coins out of the box.

Dave
Chuck Finley
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Chuck Finley
If you have not seen Coin Box Concepts 1 and 2 by J. Burke Whittaker that would be a great place to start they have some great ideas.
It is full of great ideas with coin boxes. I have been using two of his routines for a couple years now.
There is some really nice stuff with the Star box (which is the "slot" box)
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
182 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
Romancing the Coin Box II by Robert Bengel.
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
321 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I cant find a retail option for Robert's Romancing the Coin Box II... out of print ?
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Http://robertbengelentertainment.com/ has an email contact for Bob. Might be able to get these direct from him?
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2554 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Wilktone, David's work on the slot is on his live London lecture I believe. That is the Stars of Magic #9 DVD. I was at one of the first lectures where David introduced the slot box. He had us all going, we all looked at the box and had no idea. Needless to say he sold a lot of sets that night.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1883 Posts

Profile of iamslow
David Roths routine called out with 5 I believe is excellent and very strong if done well.... I think I'm gonna pull out my slotbox now after reading this thread.... Smile
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Slot Box handllings (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL