The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Trick inventory software (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
EvilClown
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond, VA
126 Posts

Profile of EvilClown
Anyone on here know of software to maintain an inventory of things like gimmicks, tricks, gaffed decks, etc? Both a list of what I have and which drawer, divider it is kept.

Would be nice if it could do magic books and DVDs too since general audience software databases for book collections or movie libraries often don't have that information, but my bigger concern is one for my trick and gimmick inventory.
PaulPosition
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of PaulPosition
Dominic Reyes, over at Merchants of Magic, has blogged/vlogged about using the Evernote application for most any "paper work" he does.. From storing ebooks to scanned instructions or set lists, from routine ideas to testimonials or recorded performance... Dunno if that would help...

His blog (with video)...
http://blog.magicshop.co.uk/2013/01/magi......cts.html

He also discussed it in 4 pages of his free ebook "Approaching Magic Practice" (though it seems the ebook is now sold for 4.99, there are still links at MoM to get it for free (in exchange for your email addy so they could send you ads, of course...)
http://blog.magicshop.co.uk/approaching-......ree-book

Dunno if that would even help with what you're trying to do.. I haven't looked at it yet: my own collection is that of a completely broke newbie so it amounts to four books and two gaffed decks.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1093 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Hello,
I'd like to hear about other people's experience.
I've never used Evernote, but I started using Microsoft OneNote to store small pdfs, notes, scripts, links and so on. Has anyone had experience with both and so can make a comparison?
I see there's a free Evernote and one which is not. Dominic Reyes, on his blog, refers to the free version, so I suppose it enough for our needs.

Thanks
Mark
How
View Profile
New user
Texas
93 Posts

Profile of How
I made my own inventory using excel. But these are good resources as well.
pmarzionna
View Profile
New user
Washington, DC
81 Posts

Profile of pmarzionna
I’ve been using Evernote to organize my magic for the past two years. I believe I describe how in the posts below:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......01428#12

And in this one:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=9064436
LarryD
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of LarryD
I use Sterlite plastic snap lock boxes to store everything, and I use the database in Microsoft Works for recording the following information: Name of Effect; Type (i.e., utility, closeup, ect.); Box #; Creator or Source; Instruction location (i.e, Penguin download, electronic file folder, etc.); notes.
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
@EvilClown: I have written a desktop application (Java, so runs on Windows and Apples) to manage my effects, scripts, and so on.

Not yet good enough to face the wild (not even a copyright notice in it yet, still some bugs). Props and books inventories are not in there, but this sounds like something I might want to add. If you're interested, just PM me, I could send you a copy.
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

The rest of life is essentially the same problem.

Vater Araignee
View Profile
Regular user
MI
168 Posts

Profile of Vater Araignee
HTML tables with JavaScript sort function. If you use an editor that allows you GUI and Text edit then you just copy the base from any number of tutorial sites, paste it in text edit mode, modify the amount of columns in GUI and add your info. When you only need to go over the info, open it in a browser and have at it.
It has the advantage of working in any w3 compliant browser so if you keep a copy online and you have to call someone to get an item you can tell them exactly where it is.
"Good enough never is." - Vater Araignee
Wimhek
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Wimhek
Vater, is it possible to publish a subset of the HTML tables with the Javascript source ? This would help me.
FYI I have made a flat file with descriptions, effect, lingk to explanation, tags etc. This flat file is read by a program (AutiIT) and generates a HTML file.

Thnx

Wim
OzTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of OzTheMentalist
I just use Microsoft Excel and I think it's a great way to keep a complete database of all your magic possessions.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
290 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
@OTheMentalist, What do your tables look like? Can you share what field you setup?
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
290 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
I guess I will just post here in case someone comes to the party late. Instructions will follow.

Ideally, a relational database would be the most "elegant" way of creating something like this. The reason for this is I would like a variation on a "bill and materials" or "manufacturing Inventory" system. I would want multiple keywords to apply to each effect and have the ability to break out an effect with gaffs into its multiple components. Ex: CSB -> Chinese ], C/S, chinese coin, etc. But trying to find a simple way, played around with many ideas with pencil and paper with every combination of Excel Spreadsheets I could think of.

One idea is to have a separate tab for coins, cards, books, videos, etc. And that would work, but I wanted to be able to search one list for things. Then I thought of multiple lines for effects with component parts. So the "effect" could be CSB and the "component" would be "Chinese ]". Then the next line would repeat CSB and the next component next to that would be "C/", and so on. This would really make a good system and is how manufacturing inventory is done if you use a spreadsheet. So you could try that. But ultimately, I simplified it one step further, which works for me. It eliminates having multiple lines for the same effect, but lets me itemize everything and link components parts/gaffs to their effects. If I want to see if I have a Chinese ], I can find that it is in a plastic sleeve as part of another trick. Here is the table if it helps:

Type this across the top of the sheet with one heading in each column:

Item |subitem |Author |category |type |Gaff |media |source |Location |Description |Keywords |
CSB ||Johnson |effect-coin |coins |Box 1
Chinese ] |CSB |Johnson |gaff |coins |
C/S |CSB |Johnson |gaff |coins |
Chinese Coin |CSB |Johnson |practical |coins |
CSB Transpo ||Doc Eason |effect-coin |coins |
Classic Col. ||Lorayne |book |cards ||hardcover ||
Ill dbl lift ||Lorayne |sleight-card |cards ||book |pg 16 |Shelf 1
ROV - Hit ||Schneider |sleight-coin |coins ||video |hit.wmv |Shelf 2
Royal Road ||Hugard |book |cards ||ebook |rrcm.pdf |thumbstk

Left click and drag the mouse to draw a rectangle around the entire table and then hit cntrl-L. Answer "Yes" to the question about if the table includes headings". That creates the table as a database and lets you sort and search with the dropdowns in the column headings. You can, of course, re-arrange things to suit you and add or delete columns.
somethingupmysleeve
View Profile
New user
London, UK
73 Posts

Profile of somethingupmysleeve
I use Google Sheets. Operates the same as Excel, but it is saved 'on the cloud' so you are able to access it on any computer and phone, so you can read notes and make changes wherever you are.
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
290 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Yeah, I use sheets too. Any idea how to post a section with a fixed width font so a table like I tried to post lines up?
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
290 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Here is the spreadsheet table reformatted so it is readable"

Code:
<br>Item         |part of     |Author      |category     |type  |Gaff  |media       |source   |Location |Description |Keywords  
<br>CSB          |.           |Johnson     |effect-coin  |coins |.     |.           |.        |Box 1    |.           |.
<br>Chinese ]    |CSB         |Johnson     |gaff         |coins |.     |.           |.        |Box 1    |.           |.
<br>C/S Coin     |CSB         |Johnson     |gaff         |coins |.     |.           |.        |Box 1    |.           |.
<br>Chinese Coin |CSB         |Johnson     |practical    |coins |.     |.           |.        |.        |.           |.     
<br>CSB Transpo  |.           |Doc Eason   |effect-coin  |coins |.     |.           |.        |.        |.           |.
<br>Classic Col. |.           |Lorayne     |book         |cards |.     |hardcover   |.        |.        |.           |.
<br>Ill dbl lift |Classic Col.|Lorayne     |sleight-card |cards |.     |book        |pg 16    |Shelf 1  |.           |.
<br>ROV - Hit    |.           |Schneider   |sleight-coin |coins |.     |video       |hit.wmv  |drive 3  |.           |.
<br>Royal Road   |.           |Hugard      |book         |cards |.     |ebook       |rrcm.pdf |thumbstk |.           |.
<br>
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I may have found the perfect solution to this problem but I need more input from others. It's called MSD Collections
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Considering the fact that people would often come up to me and mention how much they loved that I had performed such-and-such trick for them -and that I had ZERO recollection of ever having performed that trick... Well, maybe I should invest in this sortware! LOL!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I sent you a pm gaddy Smile
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
150 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
For me: it's The Brain. It is actually a mind mapping software, but you can easily use it for record keeping. It is ridiculously easy to use. You can pop internet links, video files, ... anything in it.
Not the cheapest thing around, but I heartily recommend it.
Ciao for now
Erik
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
265 Posts

Profile of tstark
Use the File Explorer Search function. Take a photo of the trick and filename the photo with all of the pertinent details. Name of the trick, drawer or box it is in, what the trick uses (i.e. cards, coins, ring, etc.). Abbreviate the descriptors in the filename to conserve space in the filename if you care to. I have tens of thousands of files on my computer and I can find anything instantly by searching anything of the filename that I can remember. If you don't care to take a photo, although I haven't needed to try it, you can likely create a searchable PDF using OCR (Optical Character Recognition) using free online software like PDF2GO to accomplish the same thing without having to take a photograph. I like the photos better as I can see the results of my search to see if I have found the right item. You can also code your storage (drawer, box, ziploc bag, etc.) with a letter or number system if you have a lot of stuff to organize and include the code in the filename.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Trick inventory software (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL