We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My Friend Mick C Needs Your Help. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicianphiltay
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham / UK
113 Posts

Profile of magicianphiltay
My friend Mick needs some recommendations and advise. He saw a great routine on Facebook and wants to become that mentalist, telling me his going to practice every move.

I've tried to explain to him its a bad idea to mimic others and to be yourself. One weeks his Lennart Green (accent and all) the next time I see him he thinks his Uri Geller dressing in dark cloths and speaking in some really strange way trying to bend anything he can (embarrassing really)

I wouldn't mind if he was as good and could pull it off but his 40+ side of life now.

His my friend and I love him but how do I persuade him to become himself.

BTW he loves Mentalism Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10218 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Absolutely first and foremost he needs to learn the distinction between magic and mentalism. Mentalism is based on a foundation that he needs to learn FIRST, his concerns about "moves" and "executions are null without this proper foundational understanding first. Otherwise, he will just be doing magic. If you truly are wanting to help him, start at the beginning with the right approach and understanding.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Film him doing his performance. Then wait a week. Then show him the footage. See if he sees that he looks bad. If he recognises this, suggest he crafts his own unique persona.
Dr Ross
View Profile
Regular user
Lincoln, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Ross
Sounds like a case of 'mentalist mimicitis'. Show him this satirical video to cure -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWWgl6wxAfU (I especially like the "Do me a favour" line)
Ross Bartels

Author of:
'Janken' (propless RPS effects) and 'Tacitus'
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
Absolutely first and foremost he needs to learn the distinction between magic and mentalism. Mentalism is based on a foundation that he needs to learn FIRST, his concerns about "moves" and "executions are null without this proper foundational understanding first. Otherwise, he will just be doing magic. If you truly are wanting to help him, start at the beginning with the right approach and understanding.

Disagree because it's an arbitrary distinction that, as of this very moment, is being debated by people who have performed for years. I'd expect nothing less than this answer from you though, MP. Keep on keeping on!

First, he needs to decide what he wants to do (his character, including what he can do). Then, based on his character, he can decide what types of effects he wants to do. Once he's decided on the effects, he can join into the (pointless) debates on whether it's magic, mental magic, or mentalism.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Just sounds like a wind up to me...
I've asked to be banned
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12354 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, magicianphiltay wrote:
My friend Mick needs some recommendations and advise. He saw a great routine on Facebook and wants to become that mentalist, telling me his going to practice every move.

I've tried to explain to him its a bad idea to mimic others and to be yourself. One weeks his Lennart Green (accent and all) the next time I see him he thinks his Uri Geller dressing in dark cloths and speaking in some really strange way trying to bend anything he can (embarrassing really)

I wouldn't mind if he was as good and could pull it off but his 40+ side of life now.

His my friend and I love him but how do I persuade him to become himself.

BTW he loves Mentalism Smile

How old is he? Tell him to grow up.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10218 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Good to see there's still so much good magician's thinking going on around here. The point I was making is that anyone truly interested in mentalism should first and foremost be directed to learn the foundational principles of mentalism. If anyone is really interested in helping someone interested in learning magic this is the starting point. Anything else is premature. If they aren't willing to do that, all they are interested in is mental effects and magic.

Perhaps if more around here had done this there would be a better understanding of mentalism and not see it as a debate or just something a few of us have in our crawl. How can he even begin to think about a character and other things without these foundational aspects in place and understood first? Plus this would prevent any mimicking of others. Sorry, I think this is both backwards thinking and putting the cart before the horse.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, IAIN wrote:

I think so too.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Hermit
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2018, IAIN wrote:

Sounds like BS to me. I don't think your friend is real.
magicianphiltay
View Profile
Regular user
Birmingham / UK
113 Posts

Profile of magicianphiltay
He has now changed into Dani De Ortiz.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1372 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I approach this with some humility. As magicians or mentalists, we are all acting the part, some better than others. I would suggest that nothing helps one to improve and to see what works best, along with getting the foundations straight, than performing for strangers.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4484 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
We all begin by copying someone. It's a natural part of our growth process and our journey to become ourselves.

It's only when we find our own voice and craft our own unique persona that we become a professional.

Let him copy for now. Eventually he'll grow out of it . . . or not.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » My Friend Mick C Needs Your Help. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL