The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Books Of Wonder By Tommy Wonder Back In Print! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1263

The Books Of Wonder By Tommy Wonder

Not sure if anyone knows this or if it was posted before as I could not find any threads, but I just happened to notice that these great books were back in print! I asked Penguin just be sure and they said they have been reprinted! I just happened to check them and saw that they said "in stock" and I remember them being out of stock and OOP. I thought it was a mistake but I also remembered talks about them being reprinted on here. I had a few sets over the years but sold them, so I am glad to be getting them back! So just thought I would let everyone know since I seen many ask about them on here. I also just happened to see them in the best seller sidebar and was like what??? But I knew they were supposed to be reprinted at some point. I am surprised no one announced it.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Ramius
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, OK
82 Posts

Profile of Ramius
I'd heard they were going to be reprinted, but not that they were finally available. Good find.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah I did not see any announcement so I was shocked to see them in stock. I am glad I found out though! All those scalpers still trying to sell them for $500-$600 and up are gonna be ****ed, they won't even know most likely lol.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
May the magic be with you
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Are these really back in print? They are still on pre-sale and shipping per June 29 according to the website. I've seen that message for years on several websites.

I bought a second hand set for 200 dollars plus, last month. I was fed up with the waiting. About a day after that Penguin had them available for 89.90 including shipping to Europe! What a bummer. However, I decided to buy a spare set, which arrived a couple of days later. It is the fifth printing (10 9 8 7 6 5 visible). Could somebody who bought the books from the last printing a couple of years ago confirm that that was the fourth printing? And that this really is a new printing and not a 'rest'?

Regards, Luc.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Well when I seen them back in stock I bought them right away and there was no "pre-order" then. They said the typical message of "Order this product within the next 8 hours and it ships today!" So I did, and I did a live chat and asked them if they were actually in stock or were reprinted. The person said yes, and yes they are being reprinted. Unless they had found a few left in the warehouse and these were not the reprinted ones. But they do say "Penguin Magic" in them. Did they say that in the last printing?

But I was glad I just happened to check and see them in stock, and then posted only after I saw them put into my box on the shipping video which I love lol. Then I knew it was not just a dream, but reality! I also had the older editions years ago by Hermetic Press and they look pretty much the same, and with the same fragile cover, the only thing I don't like. But the artwork is great. But maybe these were found from the last printing will have to check. I don't care what edition they are though, I am just glad to have the books back for the contents.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2018, Delimbeau wrote:

(10 9 8 7 6 5 visible). Could somebody who bought the books from the last printing a couple of years ago confirm that that was the fourth printing? And that this really is a new printing and not a 'rest'?

Regards, Luc.

I checked mine and they also say that. But whatever edition they are I do not care, I am stoked to have them back! But Penguin did say they are being reprinted. Prism is also being reprinted I think, which also is now backdated and still says "pre-order" and ships on July 6th. Has anyone pre-ordered The Books of Wonder and received them? Or are they still waiting and how long? Maybe Penguin is waiting for enough pre-orders to actually go ahead and reprint them to cover the cost and gauge demand.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I will send them a message though for clarification.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Looks like they are "made on demand" as of now. "It does appear that the Books of Wonder should be in stock shortly. Currently we can still take pre-orders for them and they will ship out soon after as we are able to get them as we receive orders for them. They should be fully back in stock soon, so be sure to look out for them soon in one of our news letters.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1263

As for Prism, I'm unfortunately not sure when that one will be back in stock, but we're definitely hoping soon! Just in case, if you add it to your wishlist, you'll automatically get an email as soon as it's back in stock."
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Thanks!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Just to clarify - none of the Penguin/Hermetic books are done as print on demand. Both Vols of Books of Wonder, as well as Prism, will have their official re-releases soon.

As stated above, if you add an item to your wish list, you will get a notification when an item is back in stock.

Thanks!
Kevin Reylek
Delimbeau
View Profile
Special user
596 Posts

Profile of Delimbeau
Hi Kevin, but will that be the sixth printing of the Wonder books then? Regards, Luc.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
OK well I guess I got really lucky then and found them in stock at the exact right time. Seems pretty confusing though, usually a book is in stock or it's not. But I am just glad I got mine back and quickly, and that it was in stock briefly. Then shared it for others to buy and then saw it said pre-order which was odd, as I thought it was back in print because it was in stock when I bought it.
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
I've been wanting these for a LONG time! I read them once back in the day but never owned a set.
Now I need an english reprint of Sonata by Tamariz and I can die happy.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1263
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
They now show in stock at 20+! Saw it in my newsletter.
MurphysNEW
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of MurphysNEW
This set is finally in stock, but they are going fast!
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Didn't realize they went OOP. Good deal to have them back in stock. RIP Tommy.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I have always been the type of magician to go out of my way with elaborate set-ups to entertain my audience. Most magicians are too lazy to do that and don't want to go through the "trouble", or deem everything that is not impromptu as "impractical" etc. But I was glad to see that there was someone even more crazier than I was after reading Tommy's books and viewing his DVDS. Smile He inspired me even more so to keep doing what I do.

I love all types of magic though and impromptu effects as well, but I also love to go all out and do stuff that most other magicians won't bother to do. Which also increases the chances that the audience never seen anything like it as well. It is always worth the extra hassle for me and to see the astonished reactions. This is how Tommy was as well, and why I loved his work.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I have three sets at my shop. Possibly my all-time favourite magic books on theory.

http://magicstore.ca/?product=books-of-w......115eb4b3
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Books Of Wonder By Tommy Wonder Back In Print! (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL