The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Meet Crazy Eddie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
From Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell (1974) "The Mote in God's Eye"
Quote:
“Renner, I must tell you of a creature of legend.”

“Say on.” Renner’s image dialed for coffee. Coffee and stories, they went together.

“We will call him Crazy Eddie, if you like. He is a... he is like me, sometimes, and he is a Brown, an idiot savant tinker, sometimes. Always he does the wrong things for excellent reasons. He does the same things over and over, and they always bring disaster, and he never learns.”

There were small sounds of whispering in MacArthur’s wardroom. Renner’s image said, “For instance?”

Renner’s Motie’s image paused to think. It said, “When a city has grown so overlarge and crowded that it is in immediate danger of collapse . . . when food and clean water flow into the city at a rate just sufficient to feed every mouth, and every hand must work constantly to keep it that way. . . when all transportation is involved in moving vital supplies, and none is left over to move people out of the city should the need arise . . . then it is that Crazy Eddie leads the movers of garbage out on strike for better working conditions.”

Something missing in cause/effect comprehension or priorities somehow ignored during planning? Useful idiots being used?

What say you?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
Don't know the book, so I don't have context. IIRC, Pournelle's politics were fairly right wing libertarian. But FWIW, my first association was this: What was MLK doing when he was assassinated?

My second association was the real-life story of the legendary electronics chain, Eddie Antar. Quite an interesting hustle, hustle story that ended badly.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9086 Posts

Profile of funsway
That book was fun to read - and led to musing on many levels, but ..

It is not a recommended read since it makes many assumptions and (for me) false claims about how cultures work and evolve.
OK if considered satire, though.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Meet Crazy Eddie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL