The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Adele, "Blackstone's Elusive Moth," Discusses Being In The Blackstone Sr. Magic Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I searched the forum but didn't see this recollection of Blackstone Sr's show discussed. It is by Adele Friel Rhindress, his "Elusive Moth" assistant who travelled with the act as a teenager. A lot of history is here. It would be amazing if Dick Oslund, Richard Hughes, and the others on the forum who had first hand knowledge could share their thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXdJ14Z73oA

She also did a great interview regarding her book:

https://vimeo.com/121935431
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
That is great stuff, thanks for posting! Love historical footage of the "old masters" in action!
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Got it as a gift last night.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The first time that I saw Harry Blackstone Senior, was in November, 1945, in the, now razed, Davidson Theater, in Milwaukee. World War II was just over, and the theme was patriotic. The program called it the "Pin Up Girls".Three girls in Army, Navy, and Marine uniforms, sat on what looked like a child's swing. They were raised to about 10 feet, from the floor. A huge "flat" net was lowered in front of them. Then the bottom of the net was raised behind them. They were "trapped". The music was something patriotic. (It looked like what Gen Grant would call, a few years later, a BENGAL NET.) An assistant waved a large banner, that looked like a Flag in front of the net. The rear section of the net was dropped, and the girls were gone, but the swing seat was there. I could see the backdrop through the net. It sure fooled me!

Several years later, I was back in Milwaukee to see the Blackstone show again. This time the illusion was on the program with an updated theme. but Harry, looking into the flies, waved his hand, and, the traveler closed and, Harry was now "in one". An assistant brought him a small prop, and the show continued. After the show, I went to the stage door, to say hello to Harry. I knew Harry would use that exit. He came through the stage door, and I greeted him. He sat down on an illusion crate, and, we visited for a few minutes. Then I asked him, "What happened to the "net"?" He grimaced, and, said, "Two new assistants had hung it backwards!"

It was the fall of 1949. I had graduated from high school, that spring. I was in Milwaukee for a long weekend, and planned to see Harry's "Show of 1001 Wonders" at least three times. I had a front row seat on the aisle (so I could hand Blackstone my handkerchief ("still folded")when the time came. I did. There was a new name in the list of girl assistants, Adele Friel. She was the Butterfly Girl. When the traveler opened on the net, the boy assistants, dressed as African Natives "captured" a lovely butterfly, and held her captive in the net. As before, when I had first seen the show in 1945, that butterfly visibly disappeared, Even knowing how the prop worked, I was still thrilled when that net dropped!

I would like to have seen Harry Jr. present it, but, he never did. I did see it done twice, though!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Thank you for this, Dick! I am not sure which I enjoy more, reading your first hand historic accounts like this or analyzing your approach to refining routines and patter in The Road Scholar. I always learn so much from your writings!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks Frank, for your kind words! when ya get to be an octogenarian, ya get to reminisce a lot! I can still vividly remember "helping" Nick Ruggiero, and Dick Berry walk that burro down Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee! Nick, I'm sorry to say, now has Alzheimer's.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bruce Meyers
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Bruce Meyers
Does anyone know how the Elusive Moth act went? Adele seems elevated in the Blackstone promo photos. These videos show her dancing.
Thanks.
Aka`aka Loko I Ka Ika A Ke Aloha
[The secrets within me are seen through Aloha]
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2022, Bruce Meyers wrote:
Does anyone know how the Elusive Moth act went? Adele seems elevated in the Blackstone promo photos. These videos show her dancing.
Thanks.

The theme was a popular one of the time. A young lady dressed as a moth or butterfly would visibly vanish.

Blackstone's Elusive Moth was a net vanish routine specifically designed for Edele. She was a talented dancer and they used that to great advantage in the staging. Dressed as the moth, she would dance around the stage which was set up in a jungle motif. Then two villains (witch doctor and jungle chieftain) would enter and try to capture her. They ultimately would drive her into a giant spider web (the net) which she would struggle to break out but be unable. Then Blackstone would enter the scene. Seeing the distress of the moth, he would make a magical gesture and with a puff of smoke she would vanish as the net fell open. The villains were none too pleased with this turn of events.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Adele, "Blackstone's Elusive Moth," Discusses Being In The Blackstone Sr. Magic Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL