The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Black Flag by Lewis Lé Val (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
rkp
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of rkp
Are there any card slights and if so, how difficult?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Level meh...and it's not even a sleight really...and it's taught...
I've asked to be banned
MinSting
View Profile
Regular user
Spain
192 Posts

Profile of MinSting
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2018, Rizzo wrote:
The 2nd method is a very old method yet I can’t recall in what book I learned it from, so long ago. The 1st method is very clever, I never thought about. Good teaching and presentations, good method, the download is about 35 mins in length & detailed.

i have it described in a book of karl Fulves,
in fact the old version is more surefire, if the spectator plays annoying and just lift a very few cards, you are sold with the bandana,

still nice adition for a hands off version,
snm
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of snm
Effect is meh.

No good justification for the bandanna or whatever you are using to cover the deck.

Sure you can say it's so you can't see anything...

but if that is the case why not just turn away (or just stage it so you are downstage and participant is upstage so you can stay facing audience) or have your eyes covered by someone? etc.

I'll give this half a star out of five. Your basically paying for a method that doesn't have good justification. There are better methods to achieve a similar effect.
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
I disagree. You have to make the prop necessary for the effect, which is why I think it works great with tarot cards and a tarot cloth
snm
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of snm
Why would you be doing this with tarot? LOL

Surely you aren't trying to divine/predict a card or some crap in the context of tarot?

Don't add in magic tricks or "mentalism" with your readings. Just read the *** cards.
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
Surely not.
LewisLeVal
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
Snm, how do you know there are better methods to achieve a similar effect? You clearly don’t know the method for Black Flag. Of course you could use a breather, but it’s not as reliable as the Black Flag method for this type of effect.

And I’m sorry but if you struggle to come up with a good, simple justification for covering the deck, then I’m glad I haven’t seen anything you perform.

Those who’ve bought Black Flag are enjoying it and it’s had a fantastic response, but nobody is forcing you to buy it. It’s ok! You can keep your $9.95! I don’t expect absolutely everyone to like BF, and it’s clearly not for you, which of course is fine. But your argument against it is not based on actual experience with the method, but based on your lack of imagination and the fact that you haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about.
LewisLeVal
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
Before you have a chance to respond, I thought maybe I should tell you exactly why you don’t know what you’re talking about.

You say why not just turn away, you can turn away, but the bandana/napkin allows you to do a hands off force, so whilst you are looking away, a force is taking place with an ungimmicked, unprepared deck.

Upstage/downstage. If you’re performing on stage, or staging the performance in this way, you would use a gimmicked deck. Who wouldn’t? Especially if you’re actually on stage, I don’t think Black Flag would be suitable for stage.

If you have your eyes covered by someone, you become completely blind to their actions, and the actions of everyone around them. So no matter what method in the world you are using, if your eyes are covered and they’ve been asked to do something specific with the deck, you will have no idea what they’re doing, accidentally or not, and you won’t know what anyone else is doing either. Way to shoot yourself in the foot!

No audience is ever 100% compliant, they can and will do unexpected things, intentional or not.

So snm you either perform on stage and don’t know what it’s like to do walk around/close up, real world performing for people in unpredictable environments, OR you don’t perform at all and convince yourself that audience members will behave exactly like you think they will.

So which is it?
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
157 Posts

Profile of Davdo
Upon perhaps the second viewing of the trailer, an idea occured to me about how this worked. It was something I had never considered before and would probably never have come up with because I don't play with hankies much. I quickly dismissed the idea and decided to purchase. And *** it, I was right!! I was disappointed for a minute, feeling I had wasted my money but then I realized that the idea had occured to be as a result of watching the trailer, so I owed it to Lewis anyway 😋
The in-the-hands version is ok, although there is similar - and very old - concept that I feel may be stronger and safer. Overall, though, the tabled method is a very nice idea that I will definitely be using.

Dave
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
This is easily the best thing I have purchased this year. Not sure if the method dates back a way but props to Lewis if this is indeed an original way to accomplish the effect. Lewis teaches the whole effect very well and has clearly gotten a lot of mileage out of it.

It is the kind of unfathomable and practical 'may as well be impromptu' material that has an extremely high value for workers looking for low maintenance & strong effects. This would also be one of the best and logical ways to get into a reading armed with a little extra info that I have ever seen. Outstanding release!
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
I really like this one. Great job, Lewis. I also like the bandit peek of Sudo. Happy to have both these in my kit.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Like this a lot, goes great with playing card, maybe even better with The Gallery by Spelmann or any other visual image deck, like a bunch of smalll post cards, a deck of flags or something other than playing cards.

Jan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Black Flag by Lewis Lé Val (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL