The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Are we living inside of a simulation? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2018, Steven Keyl wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like a stalemate.

A stalemate indeed.

Regarding the hand washing, obviously it's a cherry picked anecdote, but can still be illustrative. Found this quick article. From others I've read, he was berated and laughed out of the medical community. It wasn't until a decade or two later that his ideas took root.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot......-s-lives

Good article.

Thanks, Steve!
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:

I doubt a single person here believes Bilk does not have a compelling argument.

Sometimes something is just such an obvious load of crap that it is all that can be said.

The only people I've spoken to about this that respond this way are ones that haven't bothered to actually understand the hypothesis. Maybe you're different in that regard, maybe not.

I understand it certainly sounds ridiculous on its face, but so did a lot of things until they didn't. For me, the compelling arguments are both scientific and philosophical. The science as outlined in the video is incontrovertible. The conclusions to be drawn from that science, however, are where the disagreements arise.

It was my hope to actually discuss the merits (or lack thereof) of the actual theory, instead of having people weigh in without even having watched the video, and basing their conclusion on the title of said video. Lesson learned.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2018, stoneunhinged wrote:
I watched the video, and scarcely understood the science. But the philosophy made complete sense to me. I became an Idealist before my 20th birthday, and have not read anything since (and I have read and continue to read a lot) to persuade me that Idealism is not the best explanation for the nature of Being.

My initial persuasion came not from Plato, nor perhaps the most persuasive Idealist of all, Hegel, but the American theologian Jonathan Edwards.

From Edwards' private notes (perhaps too radical to publish or put into a sermon):

Quote:
And, indeed, the secret lies here: That, which truly is the Substance of all Bodies, is the infinitely exact, and precise, and perfectly stable Idea, in God's mind, together with his stable Will, that the same shall gradually be communicated to us, and to other minds, according to certain fixed and exact established Methods and Laws: or in somewhat different language, the infinitely exact and precise, and stable Will, with respect to correspondent communications to Created Minds, and effects on their minds.
(Italics in the original.)

I might gently suggest that what bothers Bill is the use of computer nerd language--simulation--rather than the idea that the basis of reality is in fact a set of permanent, Designer-defined laws which are essentially idea rather than, for lack of a better word, matter.

Again, this passage from Edwards led me in this direction, but I think Hegel more or less nailed it. Hegel's solving of Kant's noumina/phenomena problem was to make epistemology dialectical: the observer and the observed perform a synthesis which frames Being. This was in. 1807--over a century before Heisenberg and Schrodinger. It was, more or less, the philosophical equivalent of quantum theory.

(On a side note: Karl Marx decided to twist the essence of epistemological dialectic by making it materialistic, which was a bizarre choice, since there is no logical reason whatsoever to make "matter" dialectical, which in turn logical invalidates the most essential part of Marxism. Marxists beware. His critique of capitalism might seem compelling, but there is no logic or science there at all.)

Great info there! Restating the nature of the debate is a good idea and I think you summed it up very well. Personally, Idealism is something that I'm still on the fence about, but there are increasingly compelling arguments. Regarding the two-slit experiment from the video, there have been subsequent findings that strongly bolster the idea that consciousness itself (as opposed to just observation) can have an effect in the material world. There was an experiment from 2012 that details the science behind how this happens. Apologies for yet another lengthy video (> 40 minutes) but these types of ideas don't lend themselves to sound bites, particularly if you want to get into the meat of the ideas.

These ideas are also a veritable gold mine for mentalists looking for an interesting premise.

B2B Magazine Test!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
Lesson learned.

Many years ago I attended a risk management conference at a hotel in Downtown Disney, in Anaheim, CA.

In general, the conference went well, but, as you can imagine, there were a few odd glitches here and there.

After the conference, several of the presenters (including yours truly) were sitting about, having beers, and chatting about things. The gentleman who organized the conference, Chuck by name, a friend of mine, joined us.

"Well, we have quite a few lessons learned from this conference," said Chuck.

I replied, "No. We have a lot of lessons. When the next conference takes place, and we don't make the same mistakes we made today, then, and only then, can we call them lessons learned."

Chuck agreed.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2018, S2000magician wrote:
I'm trying to find the words to couch this delicately.

I can't.

What a bunch of crap.

Douglas Hofstadter commented on this sort of thing in Metamagical Themas.

These guys should be ashamed to call themselves scientists. Their scientist licenses should be revoked. As should their university degrees.

Sheesh!

Fascinating. These are the same responses that accompany nearly all theories that are later incorporated into mainstream science, i.e. washing of hands before surgery. No actual refutation, just "what a bunch of crap." Hardly a compelling counterpoint.

I doubt a single person here believes Bilk does not have a compelling argument.

Sometimes something is just such an obvious load of crap that it is all that can be said.

For the record, I rarely go by "Bilk".

"Bill" is far more common.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
After losing our Cubs/Dodgers bet I prefer Bilk at times.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2018, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2018, rockwall wrote:

For some reason I thought you were a rocket scientist!

I was.

But I am a mathematician.

Once a rocket scientist, always a rocket scientist. That's what I always say!
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Bill, if you haven't watched it, I'd love to actually hear your thoughts on the video.

I'm not expecting to change your mind, but I'd love to hear your take on it. If nothing else, I'd like to hear WHY you think it's crap.

B2B Magazine Test!

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
This seems more about palatable narratives than whether the experimental data resemble what quantum mechanics offers as predictions.
To address the Einstein/Schrodinger question and going directly back to the guys who invented this stuff: Does curiosity kill the cat? (whose)

Stephensen wrote a nice novel (Rise and Fall of D. O. D. O.) using conscious awareness vs uncertainty as magic. A while back Greg Egan wrote "Quarantine" about the larger effects of awareness on things. Stross picked up that notion and has been toying with it in his laundry stories. How many dimensions? What's already there?

Meanwhile in the messy aggregated narrative we share... we are facing the question in other guise these days. Here in plaintext: "Do you really want your narrative subsumed by other?" I may have once thought but then I found Landru, or Landru found me... it was so long ago that it does not matter. ???
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2018, stoneunhinged wrote:
...Hegel's solving of Kant's noumina/phenomena problem was to make epistemology dialectical: the observer and the observed perform a synthesis which frames Being. This was in. 1807--over a century before Heisenberg and Schrodinger. It was, more or less, the philosophical equivalent of quantum theory.

From what little I've read - Hegel was not a fan of Newton. Which puts our discussion of position, momentum, ... atoms and photons on a difficult ground.

Working from the subjective: "Your model is a synthesis of ..." looks agreeable.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Here's as far as I got:

Around 8:20 the narrator says that the fact that matter and energy (which are, of course, the same thing) are quantized better fits the idea that we're in a simulation (than, I suppose, that we're not). Certainly if we're in a simulation everything would be quantized, but that in no way suggests that the converse is true, or even that the converse is more likely than its negation.

Around 9:10 the narrator says that nature is composed of quantized bits, which means that the universe has a finite number of components. How does it follow that if nature is quantized, the number of bits must necessarily be finite? I can imagine an infinite universe; why can't these scientists.

I pretty much lost interest after that. The reasoning's shoddy (at least, as it's presented in that video).
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Thanks, Bill! I appreciate you giving it a go.

Quote:
Does curiosity kill the cat?

Now that's funny! Erwin would be proud.

B2B Magazine Test!

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2018, Steven Keyl wrote:
Thanks, Bill! I appreciate you giving it a go.

My pleasure, Steven.

For whatever it's worth, I was expecting something of that nature (i.e., shoddy reasoning).

In Metamagical Themas, Hofstadter wrote that in particle physics it used to be considered bold to posit the existence of a single, new, subatomic particle. What caused him to leave the study of particle physics was an article he read in which the author not only posited the existence of more than one new particle (27, to be precise), but several entire new classes of subatomic particles. The reason: to try to explain some trivial differences between measured results and theoretical results in some physics experiments.

Apparently the author felt no shame in doing so.

He should have.

When scientists stop feeling shame, science suffers for it.

Bold new theories should be cause for celebration, but they have to be well reasoned. (I, for one, cannot imagine what it must have been like for Georg Cantor when he sprang the idea of different sizes of infinity on the mathematical establishment, but you can be <blessed> sure that he made certain that his reasoning was bulletproof before he did so.) Anything less deserves whatever vituperation it engenders.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Bill, I personally don't find the reasoning shoddy at all. To me, those early bits you mentioned are simply setting the stage for the more compelling evidence to follow.

Quote:
Around 9:10 the narrator says that nature is composed of quantized bits, which means that the universe has a finite number of components.
How does it follow that if nature is quantized, the number of bits must necessarily be finite?

My takeaway is that because nature is composed of quantized bits, one cannot rule out the possibility of a finite universe. While an infinite universe may be imaginable, given physicist's current obsession with dark matter, the general consensus (with which I agree) is that the universe is indeed finite.

For me, the more interesting bits come later (such as quantum entanglement), but unfortunately, it doesn't seem we'll be in a position to discuss them. Again, though I wish we could have gotten to some of the meatier ideas, I certainly appreciate your time investment.

B2B Magazine Test!

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2018, Steven Keyl wrote:
Bill, I personally don't find the reasoning shoddy at all. To me, those early bits you mentioned are simply setting the stage for the more compelling evidence to follow.

Quote:
Around 9:10 the narrator says that nature is composed of quantized bits, which means that the universe has a finite number of components.
How does it follow that if nature is quantized, the number of bits must necessarily be finite?

My takeaway is that because nature is composed of quantized bits, one cannot rule out the possibility of a finite universe. While an infinite universe may be imaginable, given physicist's current obsession with dark matter, the general consensus (with which I agree) is that the universe is indeed finite.

For me, the more interesting bits come later (such as quantum entanglement), but unfortunately, it doesn't seem we'll be in a position to discuss them. Again, though I wish we could have gotten to some of the meatier ideas, I certainly appreciate your time investment.

I may give it another go later.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on where you sit), I'm quite busy with work these days, so I haven't much time for these extracurriculars.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
How does "Creation" differ fundamentally from "Simulation?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To be in a simulation, some entity must have created it. I think so at least.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2018, Pop Haydn wrote:

I think you're right that they are functionally the same thing.

The only distinction I would draw is that in the West, creation is entwined with our concept of God. By definition, God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. The designers of a simulation may be intelligent and highly advanced without necessarily having any of these traits normally attributed to God.

B2B Magazine Test!

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, Steven Keyl wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2018, Pop Haydn wrote:

I think you're right that they are functionally the same thing.

The only distinction I would draw is that in the West, creation is entwined with our concept of God. By definition, God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. The designers of a simulation may be intelligent and highly advanced without necessarily having any of these traits normally attributed to God.

But with respect to the simulation, they would have all of those traits, no?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2018, S2000magician wrote:

But with respect to the simulation, they would have all of those traits, no?

No. The programmer would be god-like in setting up the program, but wouldn't necessarily know all of the outcomes in advance. Think of it as some kind of debugging program being run by an extremely sophisticated programmer.

Sim City 1,000,000,000,001.

But all of these scenarios involve way too much human suffering for my taste. A programmer who watches children starving and being abused would be a little bit twisted to not stop the program and do a little bit more tweaking to keep the children from suffering.

But that's just me. I'm spongy and weak.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Are we living inside of a simulation? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL