The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Amazon Prime Day - Epic Fail (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
I've been trying to check out for over an hour. The news agencies are reporting that Amazon's servers are being overloaded.

I hope they honor what's in my cart...
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Took me several tries each time but I got two orders thru within a half hour to 45 mins of it starting. There was a ton of traffic right at 3 pm eastern, I did get thru though. Good luck. Keep trying.

I still wouldn't consider it an Epic Fail. I got a $65 256gb flash drive with free 2 day shipping for just under $25 with my discounts. I also got 10 sheets of shim stock 6" x 18" x 0.0015" thick with another $10 off reward.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

I did a screen shot of my cart and contacted them via email. They are aware of the issues everyone are having so hopefully they will honor my timely order.
I still recall the day I met Beaker from the Muppets. He said to me "Meep, meep, mee mee mee Meep!", and that has made all the difference.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

I wrote them a very nice letter stating that I knew they were extremely busy and I could afford to wait. I listed the issue I was having and that I had taken a screen shot of my cart.

What I received from them was the same generic response they have been posting online; meaning they didn't even bother to read my polite message. I then responded (with the did this resolve your problem button) very unsatisfactorily that I should not be penalized for their lack of proper preparation. I have not heard anything back.

It would be different if this was a Black Friday sale and that I couldn't get into the store to get the deals. My situation is that I got inside, browsed the isles, picked a few deals, and placed them in my shopping cart. I got in line for the cash registrar only to find they are having issues when it is my turn to check out. I tried going to other registrars (tried multiple times to check out) with each lane having the same issues. Amazon's perspective is since 1 lane was working (out of 10) then it wasn't their issue.

I've made 244 orders within the last 6 months (and that is with taking a month off for vacation) so I feel that I'm a loyal customer. Normally they do right by you. I will have to wait and see...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Interesting ... the event was of their own scheduling and they sell "cloud services".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 17, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Interesting ... the event was of their own scheduling and they sell "cloud services".

Exactly. Most people are not aware that Amazon is one of the biggest 'cloud as a service' service providers.

I also had issues signing into my Audible account; which is also owned by Amazon.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2018, Mike Gainor wrote:

I've made 244 orders within the last 6 months ...

No offense, but are you a shopping addict?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 17, 2018, arthur stead wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2018, Mike Gainor wrote:

I've made 244 orders within the last 6 months ...

No offense, but are you a shopping addict?

No, I have multiple subscribe and save accounts. I have monthly deliveries to family members as a means to stay in touch.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Epic Fail? Sounds like a huge success.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/17/amazon-a......lts.html

"Amazon says this Prime Day was its biggest shopping event ever with 100 million products sold"
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

The thread isn't about them not making money, of course they made money - they were flooded with more customers than ever.

The Epic Fail is in regards to the loyal customer who had been receiving emails and other notifications about Prime Day, and not being able to check out.

My issue wasn't that I couldn't get my purchases to go through after multiple check out attemps, but rather that they provided no options (other than better luck next time) for those trapped in the log in loops.

This is my first, and last, participation in Prime Day. I will stick to my normal shopping on Amazon.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Maybe they failed you. But the day was a success.

If you are going to pass up savings, if there were any to be had, because of this then go for it. That is your right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

I'm not alone...

https://www.businessinsider.de/amazon-pr......=US&IR=T

These were lightning deals with time restraints and sell limits. So not being able to check out with time sensitive items in the cart made the constant looping back to the log in prompt consume time. I tried repeatedly for 30 minutes (back arrow or cart icon). I realized I wasn't going to be able to check out so I took a screen shot (with the assumption Amazon would honor their glitch) and contacted customer support.

Seeing that Amazon offers Cloud As A Service they should have been able to manage the excessive hits. Instead their approach is that enough were making it in so they were making money. In the past, they have gone out of their way to maintain good customer service; so here is where Epic Failure arrises.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In your view. You need to keep in mind it is an opinion and many others hold a different one.

As I said it is your right to not participate. I encourage you to do what you think is right. I'm certainly not trying to change your mind. I understand your point.

But it seems as if it wasn't a long glitch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcrunch.......ost/amp/

Sorry that happened to you.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
285 Posts

Yes, they resolved the issue after time -but- those lightning deals were set to a specific time frame and did not repeat. After mulitple attempts I lost interest in trying other deals that became available throughout the day.

I'm still an Amazon customer. I'm just soured by the way they chose to handle their glitch.
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
My disappointment with the event was the pricing. When shopping on the Amazon website, I use a browser extension named Honey. It displays the price history of the item on Amazon up to the past 120 days (I wish it was more). Most of the items I was interested in, both expensive and inexpensive, had the same or lower prices in the past. The only consistent bargains were for Amazon electronic devices.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Aww, don't give up on Amazon Prime day! You'll want to get this at a discount!

"Popular New Amazon Service Just Comes To Your House And Kills You"

https://www.theonion.com/popular-new-ama......ent=Main
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I also consider it to be an epic fail Mike, but not for the same reason as you. I refer to how much money my wife spent. Today's marketing people are so good at making people believe they NEED something just because of the price on sale.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
If someone considers Amazon Prime Day a fail, go next year with (what I consider to be) the original: Alibaba's Singles Day:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-41954591
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Amazon Prime Day - Epic Fail (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL