The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tricks with literaly nothing (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Vlad Grigorescu
View Profile
New user
Romania, Bucharest
95 Posts

Profile of Vlad Grigorescu
I know there is Max Maven's DVD, NOTHING, but it still implies going to the store and getting some things.
I know there are a lot of books and DVDs with tricks that use regular every day objects.
But are there any sources of tricks that use literally nothing?

Thanks!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Just search on here for "propless mentalism"...
I've asked to be banned
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
If only there were. We could call it something like "no prop mentalism" hmmm, must be a better name than that.......

Seriously, check latest and greatest. The place has been hit like a plague of locusts by propless mentalism. 99% is unworkable in the real world but you might find something that floats your boat.

For a truly great book that has fantastic material using minimum props check out Scott Creaseys new book.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
To be honest propless mentalism has come a long way and I think there's a lot of good workable ideas out there.
Vlad Grigorescu
View Profile
New user
Romania, Bucharest
95 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 20, 2018, SleepyMagic wrote:
To be honest propless mentalism has come a long way and I think there's a lot of good workable ideas out there.

Do you have any exact sources you want to share?
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Here's one that's quite good:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6435
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
You may also consider looking into some of the work by Atlas Brookings.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
You may also consider doing a search for Naked Mentalism by Jon Thompson. There are several Café threads on the different NM volumes, all of which will give you lots of food for thought.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
My Penguin Live lecture was all about propless mentalism. And despite the reputation propless mentalism has due to the work of some questionable material released by various sources, all my material has methods that work and have been honed through real world performance.

Everything I present in my lecture can be relied upon.

Best,

Atlas
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I do find a lot of propless material that has been released to be far too process heavy for my tastes. I understand others make it work for them and that's fine. It's just not for me. Generally speaking, as soon as math is involved I'm out.

Propless classics, though: CMR, suggestion/hypnosis, readings.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2018, Vlad Grigorescu wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2018, SleepyMagic wrote:

Do you have any exact sources you want to share?

Second coming by Fraser Parker and Ross Tayler. You can force a name proplessly for example and then reveal it in anyway you want.

Sleepy
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
While there are several approaches to propless effects, one thing to consider, which has been suggested above, but not really addressed explicitly, is the need to define what sort of material will work for you.

What are the abilities you claim? Are you a telepathist? A psychometrist? A precognizant? An expert on esoteric lore? A lightning calculator?

So, if I were to claim to be able to read someone's thoughts, but my process has to involve complicated numbers with mental multiplication, that doesn't really ring true. If I claim to read thoughts and have them concentrate on a word, that does ring true.

There are methods to generate a personality reading on the spot, many of which can work fine in a shut-eye setting. I consider these fairly bulletproof. If I ask you for your date of birth and then tell you about your numerological profile, that's actually pretty interesting to a lot of people. Here, I'd be the expert on esoteric knowledge.

With a hidden process, I might hold an item of yours and tell you about what the impressions I get from it mean. There, it is psychometry. Also reasonably bulletproof.

If I have a folded paper and ask you for a word, then open the paper to show the word, that's precognizance.

I don't do telepathy or precog propless. There are creators who have come up with some rather good approaches to both of those, however. Well worth pursuing the links given above if you are into that. But in order to save yourself some money and a lot of time, do consider what exactly you are looking to do. What abilities are you really trying to demonstrate? This will guide you to routines and resources that will be of use to you.

I would also consider the possibilities for impromptu, not just propless. In this case, it means you can use items from the environment. Business cards being a really good example. Can you grab one and get the participant to write a word or thought on it? If so, you can do more in the way to telepathy than you could with just a totally verbal process.

Anyway, I hope that helps, even if it doesn't point you to more resources.

-Patrick
Vlad Grigorescu
View Profile
New user
Romania, Bucharest
95 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 23, 2018, Mr. Woolery wrote:
While there are several approaches to propless effects, one thing to consider, which has been suggested above, but not really addressed explicitly, is the need to define what sort of material will work for you.

What are the abilities you claim? Are you a telepathist? A psychometrist? A precognizant? An expert on esoteric lore? A lightning calculator?

So, if I were to claim to be able to read someone's thoughts, but my process has to involve complicated numbers with mental multiplication, that doesn't really ring true. If I claim to read thoughts and have them concentrate on a word, that does ring true.

There are methods to generate a personality reading on the spot, many of which can work fine in a shut-eye setting. I consider these fairly bulletproof. If I ask you for your date of birth and then tell you about your numerological profile, that's actually pretty interesting to a lot of people. Here, I'd be the expert on esoteric knowledge.

With a hidden process, I might hold an item of yours and tell you about what the impressions I get from it mean. There, it is psychometry. Also reasonably bulletproof.

If I have a folded paper and ask you for a word, then open the paper to show the word, that's precognizance.

I don't do telepathy or precog propless. There are creators who have come up with some rather good approaches to both of those, however. Well worth pursuing the links given above if you are into that. But in order to save yourself some money and a lot of time, do consider what exactly you are looking to do. What abilities are you really trying to demonstrate? This will guide you to routines and resources that will be of use to you.

I would also consider the possibilities for impromptu, not just propless. In this case, it means you can use items from the environment. Business cards being a really good example. Can you grab one and get the participant to write a word or thought on it? If so, you can do more in the way to telepathy than you could with just a totally verbal process.

Anyway, I hope that helps, even if it doesn't point you to more resources.

-Patrick

I am looking for one on one, direct(no readings and vague stuff like that) effects that you could do with no props(pockets empty, no wallets, no writing, maybe just an already written prediction on you).
Math or other process can be something acceptable if there is good context for that.
I know I am asking for holly grails but I hope to get things that at least get close trough good context and presentation.
A good example could be a well constructed equivoque.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Okay, what I meant was do you want to appear to read minds, predict the future, or influence thought processes? Or something else entirely?

My own approach is not propless at all, but I like to give the impression that I have odd knowledge that allows me to guide the participant to do amazing things. Although I don’t do B’Wave, that’s an example of what I mean. Through an act of imagination, the person sitting with me is able to determine the only card face up in the little packet. And the others turn out to be blank, so it can’t be sleight of hand. I do some stuff with a pendulum that has them finding a target object, emphasizing their own abilities. And other things I don’t think relevant to this discussion, since they use props.

Patrick
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
If you happen to see a persons wallet open with their Drivers Licience -(as a cashier-ot -next to a customer- etc. Glance at it - see where they are from - address- city - state- putting your hand to your head(?) mention - "I see ,feel, etc- State ?? street?? etc. " it had wowed a few when I did it - JUST FUN
BizarreRich
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of BizarreRich
Since reading a thread on the Café about Mark Elsdon and how he has treated some of his customers I am reluctant to recommend his books. However, there is no doubt that he has produced some great propless mentalism and I do suggest you look out for his "Conversation as Mentalism" series of books. I would just not buy them direct from him but get them from any of the large online magic shops.
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Invest in the Safwan Papers. Particularly the effect 7. I forgot what I paid for it, maybe 15 bucks. That one effect alone will justify the cost. It's as good as propless gets.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Years ago I put out "Naked on a Beach"... But you got to use stuff on the beach...
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2018, The Hermit wrote:
Invest in the Safwan Papers. Particularly the effect 7. I forgot what I paid for it, maybe 15 bucks. That one effect alone will justify the cost. It's as good as propless gets.

Thank you.

7 has now been released as a stand-alone, by Amira and I, as "Seven Plus" which is the original routine, as well as additional handlings and thoughts. (Links in my sig)

I am very pleased that you like it!

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tricks with literaly nothing (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL