The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot Card effects (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
Good afternoon all. I just received my first ever Tarot deck and have been enjoying reading the meanings of the cards and doing practice readings. If you could post your 2-3 favorite effects using Tarot cards that would be extremely helpful in orienting my research into effects I might use. Thanks.
pieaddict
View Profile
New user
UK
99 Posts

Profile of pieaddict
I would recommend the big black book by the black hart. Lots of tarot effects in there. Also on his website
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."
bud.scott
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of bud.scott
The turn of a friendly card by Jim Magus, a little hard to find
Dabbler in the Esoteric
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VIII
Order of the Hexidic
North West Gathering of the Dark Magi II,III,IV,V
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Stephen Minch's Book of Thot.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You might want to check out our Magic Nook "Crafty Shoppe of Little Horrors" Book Two, which is all about Tarot Card Magic with special Tarot Cards. Some of the effects can be performed using any regular Tarot Cards, while others require special gimmick cards you get printed, following our directions and sources.
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Thanks pieaddict, bud.scott, The Curator, and jimgerrish. Let the fun begin.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
My favourite Tarot routine is one that I contributed to The Linking Ring (British Ring Parade) in January 1996. It's called "Celtic Cross".

Barry
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
In Mind, Myth, & Magick by T. A. Waters there are a good number of effects with tarot cards. One of my favorites is a technique for a haunted deck style effects.
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Thanks mindmagic and pizpor. I'll check them out.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Actually, with a little ingenuity almost any non-slight card trick can be a tarot effect. Those that require slight of hand or manipulation do not work well with old looking or aged tarot cards. If you are using new cards such as a recently purchased deck, only the size of your hands should affect the handling.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
My favorite Tarot effect is "The Real Work on the Twenty-One Card Trick" found in "The Supplemental OORT."
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Love the.21 card trick. 3 and 4 year old granddaughters scammed whole neighborhood out of their allowance with it.Had to give all of it back except for their 62 year old grandfather lawyer who bet them $20 And lost.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
626 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
I second Stephen Minch’s The Book of Thoth. Excellent book resource for tarot effects.
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I appreciate your help.
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Rick Maue's The Book of Haunted Magick has a few really nice tarot effects.
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Learn to do a decent reading. It will give you a lot more mileage than a trick and pay back the price of the deck many times over.
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2018, Joshua J wrote:
Learn to do a decent reading. It will give you a lot more mileage than a trick and pay back the price of the deck many times over.

In keeping with this suggestion, I would recommend "Tarot Reader's Notebook" by Ron Martin which integrates effects with readings, and "The Dance" by Brad Henderson, which presents a very good approach to doing readings. Also the works of Enrique Enriquez; there is a documentary called Tarology about him on Amazon Prime.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Thank you thank you thank you to all respondents. The tarot readers notebook sounds right up my alley.
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
Of course, The Curator is being Modest not to mention his own - Arcana, From Capricornian tales.
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2018, ProfessorMagicJMG wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2018, Joshua J wrote:

In keeping with this suggestion, I would recommend "Tarot Reader's Notebook" by Ron Martin which integrates effects with readings, and "The Dance" by Brad Henderson, which presents a very good approach to doing readings. Also the works of Enrique Enriquez; there is a documentary called Tarology about him on Amazon Prime.

I second this advice, the notebook is priceless. Read it, learn to interpret the cards and give readings, and then read it again.

I watched that movie sometime back and didn't connect very strongly with it, but by all means expose yourself to all the forms of readings so you can see what fits you.

-josh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot Card effects (20 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL