The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SWITCH-A-LOPE by Arnaud Van Rietschoten (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Arnaud
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Arnaud
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2018, daffydoug wrote:
Can't ask for any better endorsement than from Max!

.... and Banachek just came back stating:

Banachek: Very Clever!
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1141 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Great endorsements.... Well done. I'll still wait until the product is shipped out and hearing feedback from fellow Café members who have parted with their cash before hitting the buy button though.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ahhhhh yes! That parting from the cash thing indeed CAN be rough!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
MurphysNEW
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of MurphysNEW
A new quote from Banachek. "very clever!"
Arnaud
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Arnaud
Another review:

This is a powerful piece of equipment for the stage mentalist. There have been a lot of methods for switching an envelope before but nothing as clean and smooth working as this. The gimmick looks beautiful and works like a charm.

http://themagicportal.us/html/switch-a-lope.html
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1141 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2018, Arnaud wrote:
Another review:

This is a powerful piece of equipment for the stage mentalist. There have been a lot of methods for switching an envelope before but nothing as clean and smooth working as this. The gimmick looks beautiful and works like a charm.

http://themagicportal.us/html/switch-a-lope.html

Still waiting for fellow Café members to post a review....
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Got mine today - haven't had a chance to take a look, but I will post with my initial thoughts in a few hours.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Okay, unpacked and watched the instructional video. Looking at the gimmick before watching, I was a bit puzzled, but it all clicked the second I watched the initial demo again.

Yep, very clever. Definitely the kind of thing where the gimmick is satisfyingly tricky. Handling is not difficult, but does require some care in order to make sure everything functions properly.

This is a stage piece, possibly parlor, but definitely not closeup. There are some angle restrictions, but nothing difficult to manage on stage.

Regarding comparisons to Scott Creasey's envelope, they are really different. Scott's is easy to make and easy to use, has really good angles, and can be displayed as empty.

However, with the Switch-a-lope, the participant can take the prediction out themselves and the envelope is totally, clearly empty. There is a small reason that they can't hold it themselves, but they can still see that there is nothing else in the envelope. Also, if you wanted to, before the effect you could take out the prediction envelope, show that there is a prediction and only one prediction in there, and have the envelope signed before returning it to the larger window envelope. I think that might actually be really cool. Better yet, have it signed on a (removable) sticker so you can reuse the envelope.

The envelopes are (obviously) gimmicked, and they will probably eventually wear out. They are not complicated to replace, and Arnaud gives specific instructions for replacements. He did mention he could be contacted for help with refills as well, which some will want to do - not because they are hard to put together, but rather that the the combination of materials he has used are perfectly set up for the effect. The envelope size is metric as well, so I'm not sure how easy the correct envelopes would be to find in the US.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Arnaud
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Arnaud
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
Yep, very clever. Definitely the kind of thing where the gimmick is satisfyingly tricky. Handling is not difficult, but does require some care in order to make sure everything functions properly.

This is a stage piece, possibly parlor, but definitely not closeup. There are some angle restrictions, but nothing difficult to manage on stage.

The envelope size is metric as well, so I'm not sure how easy the correct envelopes would be to find in the US.

Thanks for the compliments and good feedback Last Laugh. As for the size. I should have mentioned they are DL sized envelopes and are available on Amazon. Make sure you check they are indeed 220x110mm, and they should not be more than 110 gsm (80 gsm may be better) in weight!

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Cranberry-Card-Co......nvelopes

Am sure you will have fun with it!
MurphysNEW
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of MurphysNEW
A new quote from Paul Romhany at Vanish Magazine - "If you do ANY TYPE of prediction and need four outs you can't go wrong here - it's the sneakiest method I've ever seen and it's just fun to perform because your audience won't suspect a thing!! This is what great magic is all about."
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Just for a change of pace - can anyone suggest a routine using this product? Thanks.
Arnaud
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Arnaud
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2018, jaizon wrote:
Just for a change of pace - can anyone suggest a routine using this product? Thanks.

Well let me tell you where I use it.....

- It is part of a chair-like test that uses no chairs - inspired on Stefan Oschlewski's The Dwarf routine (http://)www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=499002&forum=218
- My routine is a murder mystery where I explain I found a body when I came in the theater, and I know the murderer is in the audience (no-one left the place).
- I explain that if you know data/time, location and murder weapon you come close to finding the murderer
- The envelop was signed at the start of the show by someone on the first row asking to keep an eye on it
- I have 6 prediction that are revealed one after the other, the envelop being one of them predicting the location (forced) and murder weapon (free choice of 4)
- other predictions use Eye of Odin (Fabulous) a Cody Fisher Killer prediction variant (predicting date) and some others

It is the highlight of my show...

In general the envelop is most useful when you can combine a force with a REAL free choice. Plenty of options....if you wish to make it even more impressive add the Dunninger Ploy - to miss-call the name of the audience member - as in the dwarfs routine....

See here for the dunninger ploy:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

I welcome others explaining how they use 4-way-out envelopes. Google at the Café for some hits for 4-way-out routines.

Hope this helps,.....
Arnaud
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Arnaud
Other thought....

Select 4 members of the audience (1) Female, 2) someone with glasses, 3) someone with Beard/Moustache and 4) someone wearing something red (make sure this are unique choices) and do Odd Ball by Mark Oberon where you identify who has the black ball (among some whites).
The envelope can predict who predicted the Black ball , like 'Tonight the person with Facial hair will select the black ball'.
Arnaud
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Arnaud
Ok last one....
you perform a ‘coin in what hand’ routine (sixth sense or whatever) and you do it 4 times. You select someone wearing a specific color shirt (force) and have switch-a-lope predict ‘tonight someone wearing a white shirt will put the coin 3 times I his left hand!
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Thank you, Arnaud. I already have the Switch-a-lope. Very nice prop, very well made.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Is it just me who saw something flash in the demo? Even the first time I watched it. Now I get the point of "definitely not suited for close-up". Nice visuals, though!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5697 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
@ Arnaud: Thank you for suggesting some nice prediction routines using the SWITCH-A-LOPE. Imagination will be our only limiting factor.

And now a bit of entertainment - Imagination, life is your creation . . . Smile

Enjoy!

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Arnaud
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Arnaud
Kaan
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Kaan
Hi everyone,

here is my review of SWITCH-A-LOPE by Arnaud van Rietschoten.

Hope it helps Smile

Best,
Kaan
Arnaud
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Arnaud
Wow Kaan!

Many thanks for taking the time to review this so extensively!

Love the fact you showed a real application of it!!

Well done!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SWITCH-A-LOPE by Arnaud Van Rietschoten (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL