The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Split focus Gregory Wilson (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1385 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I am curious how you managed to drop the coin when using the holdout. I ask because I found the hold out in included with the coins to be too strong. I had problems smoothly removing the coin from the holdout. I've been using another mag***** hold out that was less strong but at Daniel Garcia's recent lecture, he was selling his own holdout which is actually the perfect strength.

Anyone else find the included hold out too strong?

Quote:
On Mar 27, 2019, Nick Lande wrote:
Be weary of using the hold out while practicing...I dropped it a few times and the tails side magnet part cracked and chipped off under the Teflon. I emailed Greg and he said that a replacement for each part of the gimmick is $40 each. He also said to send pics of the others so he could match it the best he could. A plus on the custom preferences if you choose to buy the whole set and ask him to match any duplicate real coins you have, but personally I wish $25-$30 would be more friendly since you've already purchased the product. Also I like the belt concept. Thanks for sharing
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
bosami
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of bosami
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
I am curious how you managed to drop the coin when using the holdout. I ask because I found the hold out in included with the coins to be too strong. I had problems smoothly removing the coin from the holdout. I've been using another mag***** hold out that was less strong but at Daniel Garcia's recent lecture, he was selling his own holdout which is actually the perfect strength.

Quote:
Be weary of using the hold out while practicing...I dropped it a few times and the tails side magnet part cracked and chipped off under the Teflon. I emailed Greg and he said that a replacement for each part of the gimmick is $40 each. He also said to send pics of the others so he could match it the best he could. A plus on the custom preferences if you choose to buy the whole set and ask him to match any duplicate real coins you have, but personally I wish $25-$30 would be more friendly since you've already purchased the product. Also I like the belt concept. Thanks for sharing

I don't find the holdout to be too strong. I'm comforted that when I have the coin there it isn't going anywhere, so yes, strong, but in a good way. I can pull the coins off easily enough. (On a side-note, I also have Sankey's 'Devil's Tail' for which the holdout will be quite useful.) You could easily drop a coin if you accidentally reverse the polarity and try to place the wrong side on it. I've done that, but I was practicing on carpet, so no damage.

Like others, I also found the video to be very confusing. The pace is very fast and Greg goes off in many different directions, so it's a task to follow. It took many, many repeated viewings to get the concepts down and fully understand the changes. At one point there is also an editing error which doesn't help. All that said, I love Greg's presentation / routine and the trick is simply fantastic. Coins are very well made and the perfect polarity to make performing the trick easy.
...forever curious
prankmonster
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of prankmonster
Are there any routines Split Focus can do that Coin Coalition can't?
Nick Lande
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Nick Lande
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2019, Kaliix wrote:

Quote:

I happen to, unfortunately, have the coin catch a seam on my jeans and I have taken a little too much faith in the magnet placement of the holdout. Belt method seems like it can work better, especially with a longer shirt. I just didn't think that the magnet could be that fragile within a coin! Could be misuse or a thing to get around with the method that Greg gave us. I'm still awaiting on the "updated techniques" that he promised will be on the new videos.
Nick Lande
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Nick Lande
Quote:
On May 6, 2019, prankmonster wrote:
Are there any routines Split Focus can do that Coin Coalition can't?

As Greg said there should be more routines further in the year for Split focus. I've looked at Coin coalition
And can see that there is an opening for more routines since you can possibly pass off the other side of the gimmick (if you're confident). The
M****t seem to be more durable then Split focus. I have yet to get CC but I'm just judging from a glance if you were to drop it. If you're shooting for good
Replica Morgan's, I'd go for Split focus, it has a better color contrast. I am considering on purchasing CC to compare and eventually have an Ike set.
Nick Lande
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Nick Lande
UPDATE: I spoke with Greg on the phone. I told him the issues with the m****t separating from the s***l. He said a full replacement would be in order since 1 in every 200 gimmicks were not adhered properly due to oil. I used Gorilla glue this time while washing it with dish soap to rid of the oil. Time will tell how this holds up. Great customer service from Greg though!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3026 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
So he gave you a full replacement AND you fixed the coin?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2660 Posts

Profile of lunatik
He potentially fixed it, only time will tell!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Split focus Gregory Wilson (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL