The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Geocaching by Sudo Nimh (90 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I see no point in debating this, and it was never meant to be a debate, I'm backing out.

P.S.: I don't own the Horwitz routine, I learned it from Marc Paul who taught it and said it was Basil's routine. I have no idea if he modified it or not but what Marc taught was brilliant.
TheManWhoCanReadMinds
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of TheManWhoCanReadMinds
I'm not one to typically post reviews, although I ALWAYS read reviews before buying practically anything.

Yes, I see the hypocrisy in that.

Nonetheless, I felt absolutely compelled to write a review of Sudo's "Geocache."

As a full-time, working professional psychic entertainer, I am very picky about the effects that I perform. Just because I like something doesn't necessarily mean it fits my persona or the theme of my performances. Both my home and storage unit are filled with countless books, videos, and props that have failed to find a place in my repertoire.

However, Geocache is going right into my show!

I have always been a fan of Cassidy's "Name/Place" routine, and have performed it on numerous occasions. Every single time I performed it, I felt it was clunky and that I had to fumble to do the work. I realize that much of that may just be me, but I never really felt comfortable performing the routine.

Then along comes Geocache. First off, the presentational angle is right up my alley. As an avid geocacher, I was instantly hooked.

Second, the handling is smooth and eliminates all of the fumbling I had to do in the original Cassidy presentation.

Third, it's just ... well ... fun! This routine just makes me giggle inside every single time I perform it.

Simply put, I just love it. It's one of those things that I wish I had exclusive rights to.

Is it for everyone? No.

But, nothing is.

Is it a practical, updated handling of a classic that belongs in a working professional's repertoire? Absolutely!
In kindest thoughts,
James Scott
The Man Who Can Read Minds
www.TheManWhoCanReadMinds.com
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, PatrickGregoire wrote:
I see no point in debating this, and it was never meant to be a debate, I'm backing out.

Hey Patrick - there's no hard feelings at all. I get what you were trying to say, but when you stated that the Horwitz routine was the "ultimate method" for Name and a Place...well, I just cannot agree because they are fundamentally different beasts. Is the Horowitz routine a very nice solution for approximating the same result? Yes. There's no doubt that it is interesting. None at all. But again, at a fundamental level they have a very different feel to each. One is pure mindreading of two participants and the other isn't, though it also has two reveals.

Regardless, if you really do love the Horwitz routine combined with the Geocache presentation - then go for it. I can't see why it still wouldn't be entertaining or fun. If Geocache gave you that angle you were looking for, then I am happy and hope you have a blast with it.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:

Hey Patrick - there's no hard feelings at all.

No hard feelings here either, cheers Sudo.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
Hi Michael.

Yes, you did receive it but you obviously don't realize it. I sent it a long time ago. Look in your email - the same one that's connected to your paypal. Smile

And thanks for supporting my work!

Sudo,

Yes. I found the pdf for Geocatch. Great! Thank you VERY much. I will read it tonight. But I still cannot locate the pdf for Things Hidden. It was not attached to the same email as Geocatch and I looked in other files. Thank you for the something else provided. That was very kind of you.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Michael.....

Look at that email I sent you again please. It is attached to the email you received. LOL I am confused though about what you are referring to when you thanked me for the "other" thing I provided. I just double-checked and Geocache as well as "Things Which Cannot Remain Forever Hidden" are both there, but there is no "other" thing. Smile

For everyone else: I've had several emails from people who ordered Geocache asking where it is. They've all been sent out a long time ago. Just look in your email in the account your paypal is linked to.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
Michael.....

Look at that email I sent you again please. It is attached to the email you received. LOL I am confused though about what you are referring to when you thanked me for the "other" thing I provided. I just double-checked and Geocache as well as "Things Which Cannot Remain Forever Hidden" are both there, but there is no "other" thing. Smile

For everyone else: I've had several emails from people who ordered Geocache asking where it is. They've all been sent out a long time ago. Just look in your email in the account your paypal is linked to.

Sudo,

I found both pdfs. THank you very much. I look forward to reading both of them tonight. The exxtra something was a video of the Ba...t P..k.

Thank you again.

Best wishes,
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Glad you found it Michael!

Have fun! Smile
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Hi Sudo,

Please check your email associated with your PayPal account. I sent you an order and a follow-up email but as of yet have not heard back.

I did check my email associated with my PayPal account, as well as the spam and trash folders, and nothing has been received yet.

I'm sure you're busy, just want to let you know I did not receive my order yet and have been trying to reach you.

Please also feel free to PM me. I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

Thanks...I appreciate your help and am looking forward to getting Geocaching.

Bill
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Hi Bill.

Your Geocache is in your email. I couldn't reply straight away because I was out for a little bit. Your order was placed just this afternoon. Smile

Hope you have fun with Geocache!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7530 Posts

Profile of RNK
Read the PDF yesterday and I really like this. Very nice work Sudo! The Ba&t P#$k is awesome and definitely a step forward for this plot. As everyone here has stated, the premise of Geocaching with this plot makes this a perfect routine, IMO.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
will4gzus
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of will4gzus
Hi Sudo your links for payment still do not work, I did PayPal and got a cancelled back on your website. But PayPal shows the transaction went through
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Hi Bill.

Your Geocache is in your email. I couldn't reply straight away because I was out for a little bit. Your order was placed just this afternoon. Smile

Hope you have fun with Geocache!

Hi Sudo,

Got it! Thanks very much. Look forward to reading and watching over the weekend.

Bill
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I got the privilege of chatting with Sudo for a few hours last night and it was a joy. He is clearly someone who is very passionate about this art form and he makes sure a piece is performance ready before he publishes it. His thoughts on this field and performing and creating were eye opening and I tried to absorb as much as I could throughout the conversation. He was king enough to show me Geocaching and boy oh boy is it a doozy!

As others have stated, the presentation and method fit in perfect harmony in this routine. It is such an engaging presentation based on something real (which I had admittedly never heard of.) The presentation has a fantastic hook; from the first moment the performer brings out this box, the audience will be drawn in and curious to see what this is all about. The method itself is absolutely fantastic and totally invisible. The discarding of the card is perfectly logical and appears precisely as it should with no extraneous moves or work. You simple put it right back where it came from and you're good to go. The structure of the routine is just wonderful as it really makes it feel impossible--in fact, Sudo even sets it up as a challenge and under challenge conditions, he nails not just 1 thought, but 2!

This is pack small play big mentalism at its finest. Even though its just a box, some cards, 2 pens, and a bandana, it fills the stage and involves multiple audience members which makes this a theatrical showpiece. It can also be done just as easily up close with just 3 people as it could with an audience of thousands. It is very versatile in that respect.

I can't recommend it enough. It is a fabulous addition to the Name/Place family and it certainly tops any handling or presentation I've come across. I shared with Sudo that I loved Scott Creasey's handling (and still do) as it is so minimalistic in nature and it actually accomplishes a lot of what Sudo set out to accomplish with his version. But there's no doubt about who's is more theatrical and entertaining; Geocaching wins hands down.

Madison
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Hey madison, would you say you prefer this handling to Scott's?
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2018, ed wood wrote:
Hey madison, would you say you prefer this handling to Scott's?

It’s hard for me to answer that because I love them both so much. Scott’s is so minimal and only uses a stack of blank cards, a marker, and a rubber band. Because of its minimalistic nature, I’ll be using it for sure.

Sudo’s uses a stack of blank cards, a box, some pens, and bandana. Truly, you only need the bandana. So this one uses a bandana instead of a rubber band. It is much more theatrical and the presentation is much stronger.

Which do I prefer? Hmmmm Sudo’s for the presentation. But I will use Scott’s more probably simply because there are times I will have the blank cards and won’t have the bandana.

Honestly, I can’t decide between the two, but there you go! They each serve their purposes very well and each in a unique way. But no doubt about it, Sudo’s is the strongest and most logical presentation I’ve come across for it.

Madison
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Where can I find Scott's handling? Could you use Scott's handling with Sudo's presentation?
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2018, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Where can I find Scott's handling? Could you use Scott's handling with Sudo's presentation?

In his book “Minimalistic Metaphysical Mentalism” (HIGHLY recommended from me.)

And yes you could use any method with Sudo’s presentation. But his method works best with his presentation because both provide logic for one another.

Madison
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2018, will4gzus wrote:
Hi Sudo your links for payment still do not work, I did PayPal and got a cancelled back on your website. But PayPal shows the transaction went through

I think paypal was just authorizing your payment. It did go through just fine. I sent your Geocache hours ago, so if you haven't checked already, it's in your email. Thank-you for supporting my work. Smile

Thanks for answering that question Madison - I was just about to do it myself. And thanks for sharing your thoughts about Geocache as well. I think you've also very accurately detailed the differences between both routines very nicely.

Thanks too, to everyone who has supported my work by purchasing Geocache.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
*Additional thought: As has been pointed out, the method used in mine is custom tailored to the presentation and vice-versa. One could, however, drop the notion of geocaching altogether and just present it as a game of 'mental hide and seek". In other words, one person thinks of any object at all, and another thinks of any location in the world to hide it. This would also work great and means you could do away with the box entirely as it really only serves a theatrical purpose, although it is not quite as inherently interesting as geocaching is as a subject matter for people.

Just some food for thought. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Geocaching by Sudo Nimh (90 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL