The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best packet tricks and sleights for beginners? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
In my presentation I'd make a joke out of it: remind people what a palindrome is, and then give the tongue in cheek example of A-2-3-4-5. Then, when people protest, I'd perform the trick to "show" that it really is a palindrome! That's my off the cuff thinking, anyway. Good to know that Palindrome was easier, since that's the trick that really caught my fancy. For some reason ace-twisting routines don't interest me that much (I know that's sacreligious, so please don't tell anyone Smile. )

Your comments are really helpful to me, Kevin.
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
626 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
I always have Kaymar Magic’s “What a Turn Up” and “The Kick” both by Harry Baron on me. Both are ridiculously easy to do and always get a great reaction. You can see performances on Kaymar’s website www.kaymarmagic.com
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Nick Trost’s TRIK-CARDS (The Card Magic of Nick Trost) and Phil Goldstein’s A VERY GOOD HAND (Focus and also in Jerry Mentzer’s Packet Tricks booklet.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, BogBadger and ejohn. I have all the books and tricks you mentioned except The Kick -- so I can look into these without spending any (or much) money. Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Marty,

I've started to learn the Elmsley count -- from Minch's book as you suggested. I really like Elmsley's original handling, as described Minch. I don't think I've seen it described anywhere else. It seems more natural to me than the currently popular business of starting with the cards in the left hand and then suddenly counting from the RH to the LH.

Just one question (for you or others) -- any suggestions on picking up only one card on the count of one? I'm actually getting pretty good at it, but it's inconsistent. And I can't tell what I'm doing right when I'm doing it right!

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi BogBadger,

I just looked at the performance video of "The Kick." It's quite something! It looks like Geminii Twins with a surprise at the end. I have a question -- can the trick be repeated with different cards? I'd think the answer would be yes -- just supply your own cards each time you perform. But I'd like to make sure before buying the trick, because at this point I'm performing just for family and friends, and I'd like to be able to repeat the trick for them occasionally.

I hope that a reply wouldn't constitute exposure -- I can never figure out what does and what doesn't. You could PM me if you wish.

Thanks for your help,

Bob
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
626 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Hi Bob, Like Gemini twins you can set up to use any cards you like from your own supply. Hope that helps.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
It does -- thanks!
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks. Is B Wave a packet trick, then? For some reason I always thought it was full-deck. "Entourage" sounds familiar; is it in Focus?
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Eight Card Brainwave in the Card Magic of Nick Trost is. It's not bad.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I really like 8 card brainwave; haven't performed it yet. Do you have trouble with people wanting to see the cards? I always wonder about that when part of the secret is in the cards; I'd think that having to say "No you can't look at the cards" would diminish the trick's effectiveness. Any solutions?
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I haven't performed it either. I've just been playing with it recently, but you make a good point. I think I would just quickly get those cards back into the deck and proceed to another trick.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I looked up the question, and there's an interesting thread on the New to Magic forum about the issue of examinability, if that's a word! If you're interested, it's called something like "If they ask to see the cards," and it's fairly high on the lis' - should be easy to find. As you can imagine, there are zillions of viewpoints about this whole issue.

For 8-card brainwave you couldn't get the cards back into the deck (because of the backs), but I guess you could just put them in your pockeet and move on, as you suggest. Come to think of it, Michael Ammar does just that in one of his easy-to-master videos. He moves right on to Chicago Opener.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best packet tricks and sleights for beginners? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL