The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Survey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
If there was a classic of mentalism that needs a new method due to advances in technology, practicality, or what have you, what would it be. Please, list SPECIFIC effects (NOT plots!), and where they are currently found. Smile
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
No classic of mentalism NEEDS updating as to method, but advances in methodology, technology, etc. MAY make it easier to perform. This, however, is a two-edged sword. If a method is TOO easy, a performer may tend to get careless and let the presentation drift, which is FATAL, since mentalism is 99% presentation. A simple, direct method method is almost always the best, because it allows the performer to concentrate more on the PRESENTATION.
Sounds like a contradiction but it really isn't---I'm not explaining myself very well, I fear.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I don't mean to imply that a new method means an EASIER method. I am certain that there are mental effects out there that need updating. I should not have used the word "classic". I am looking for any mental effect that you would like to see given a face-lift. Also, is there a piece of mental apparatus that is no longer being made that you would like to see made available again? Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-07-14 23:03, dpe666 wrote:
I don't mean to imply that a new method means an EASIER method. I am certain that there are mental effects out there that need updating. I should not have used the word "classic". I am looking for any mental effect that you would like to see given a face-lift. Also, is there a piece of mental apparatus that is no longer being made that you would like to see made available again? Smile

Not to sound rude or insulting, but why don't you just say Smile "Hey gang, I want to start making stuff to sell..."?

Better yet, do some research and find some of the older stuff you do not see or know of being in the magic shops then make it!

I recently made up some old Billet "Bull" Clips for no other reason than I found a few laying around, had some possable need for them down the road (and I'm too cheap to pay the $25.00+ retail asked for them.) Maybe you could experiment and come up with an improvement over the older system that warrants the price being asked.

There are hundreds of yesteryear gaffs, devices, etc. that most of us know nothing of thus, find a rare piece lend brief credit to whom it is due (e.g. where you found the idea) add your own two or three cents worth (claiming it to be you variation/slant/twist/patter change to the original) and thus claim it as your own and make certain all the marketing materials going out read as if it's an original piece... of course, if you can get two or three recognized names in the business to cosign you claims and herald it as the best thing since peanut butter you can add another 35% or more to the already steep price it will probably sell for.

Smile Am I sounding synical?

In all truth the market is over saturated right now with "builders" and supposed "designers"... if yuo want to make the money, if you are a good cabinet and metal smith, then do custom work and sell limited lines of unique "hard to find" items... billet knives and such devices may prove an excellent place to start... talk to the old timers and see what they have to say.

I don't mean to come off as being "negative" but I wanted to shine some light on this issue... I've been designing and selling magic of all kinds for most of the past 25 years... YOU MUST GENERALLY KEEP THE DAY JOB (ask Jim Stinemeyer -- who still has a Day Job.)

Best of luck!
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Survey (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL