The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Clear Cups & Balls (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Mirokai
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Mirokai
Did you ever see the Cups & Balls routine from Penn & Teller where they use clear cups… it’s just so, so…well so hilarious, typical from them. I must confess I always love their job… like the cigarette routine where they explain the 7 principles of magic.

But well what do you think about this routine (The C&B) and do you know any place where I can learn it?

Thanks
"Tout ce qui nous arrive de bien et de mal ici-bas était écrit là-haut" Diderot
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
I enjoyed the seven principles of magic. The version I saw was part of a TLC program so I missed a bit of it. I did like the fact that Teller didn't always do what Penn was describing (or at least exactly as he described it).

Most of their stuff is great. As for the clear cups and balls, I think it just loses it's power at that speed. At that point it isn't the cups and balls but a performance piece that doesn't relate much to magic anymore. I know a lot of people think this is a great trick but it didn't do anything for me.

Stick to the real experts in Cups and Balls and you'll have an audience that will really appreciate your performance.

Deerbourne
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
378 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
I just saw the Jason Latimer, his clear c&b routine, never saw the Penn & Teller routine, is they routine very close?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26966 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Where the Penn and Teller thing involves using clear cups to perform the (now) classic routine as comedy, Jason Latimer has found some nice mechanics to make a cups trick with clear cups appear more magical.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mirokai
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Mirokai
I never see Jason Latimer but what I like about the method of P&T is the comedy involve.
"Tout ce qui nous arrive de bien et de mal ici-bas était écrit là-haut" Diderot
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
I truly enjoy the comedy part of their performances. I would think it would be hard to impart to comedic part of a performance in instructions since comedic timing and design is such a personal thing. What works for one performer may not work for another.

Deerbourne
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
Quote:
On 2004-05-01 04:59, tommy ng wrote:
I just saw the Jason Latimer, his clear c&b routine, never saw the Penn & Teller routine, is they routine very close?

They are completely different. Not even close. Jason may publish his routine, soon, so I have heard.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I never saw anyone perform C & B with clear cups. It seems like that would expose the whole secret. In fact, I heard of Penn and Teller doing that a long time ago, when I was first starting in magic, and so I tried it . . . and of course I got ridiculed because everyone saw what I was doing. Do they ever rerun that show where P & T do it with clear cups? What show was it on, anyway?
Poindexter
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin USA
57 Posts

Profile of Poindexter
Serling307,

If you ever get the opportunity, check out International Magic's 6th International Close Up Competition video.

Gazzo won this competition, performing his Cups and Balls, although the gentleman (don't recall his name...) that performed a couple of acts *before* Gazzo did the C&B blindfolded, with clear cups. I believe used tomatoes as his final loads.

If anyone in the room wasn't familiar with the mechanics of the Cups & Balls at the start, you can bet that everyone who wasn't sleeping not only knew them, but were, in all likelihood, carefully watching for the loads to happen when Gazzo went on.

Gazzo won this competition. The audience mostly knew what was coming up. How does someone win a contest by performing an effect that has just been exposed in one of the preceeding acts?

He *entertained* them. Something to think about.....
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I would like to see Jason Latimer's version of the clear cups and balls.

Penn and Teller used clear cups and balls to 'expose' this age old trick.

But on a magic special, Teller explains why they did it, and how the speed they go at helps with the pseudo explanation.
Han Solo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Han Solo
Whats the point of clear cbs? That screws up the trick!
Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit!-Elmer Fudd
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
LOL,

You should really see the trick first, before you comment on it.

Penn and Teller's version is quite magicial. And So is Jason Latimer's, from what I've heard.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1750 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
For what it's worth, if you go to Jim Riser's great Cups and Balls web page and hang in there until all the photos are loaded, the bottom photo is of my Crystal Cups and Balls.

http://www.jamesriser.com/Cups/HistoricCups.html

The idea and routine was developed back in the mid-70's.

Jim's cups and balls pages are really interesting and a special treat for anyone who appreciates the cups.

Of course, you'll also want to visit Bill Palmer's wonderful Cups and Balls page!

http://www.hocuspocusjr.com/cups.htm

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What kind of routine did you do? Is Latimer's similar?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1750 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2004-05-17 21:28, Pete Biro wrote:
What kind of routine did you do? Is Latimer's similar?

The routine is basically Vernon.

I was told by one professional not to waste time with all the ball moves and "get to the money" (the loads)!

The fact that you can "see" through the cups without seeing the crystal balls is what makes it unusual. Of course, the design of the cups and the clear balls help with the disguise.

My inspiration for this came from Roy Fromer's little book "The Cups" (copyright 1972). He mentions Crystal Cups and Balls as "The Ultimate Cups and Balls" under the heading "Three 'Dream' Tricks."

Also, the different size loads (as you can see in the picture) add to the uniqueness.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Jason Latimer's work with the cups was BEAUTIFUL and MAGICAL!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Magictrickster
View Profile
Regular user
UK
114 Posts

Profile of Magictrickster
Jason Latimer's clear cups are also his own invention, so totally original. In this the loads magically appear inside a previously empty clear cup, whereas the P & T version is simply an exposition of the effect.

Brian.
Brian
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
449 Posts

Profile of broothal
I saw Jason Latimer perform his clear cups and balls routine a few times at FISM. His routine is clearly (no pun intended) magical, whilst the Penn and Teller routine is ambiguous. That is - it's meant to be an exposure since the cups are clear, but Teller performs it so fast it's impossible to follow nevertheless.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1668 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Jason Latimer knows what the magic should look like. His Cups & Balls clearly show how talent he is.

Alex Hui
The Real Way of Magic is to touch the soul of our audience, but not to touch the ego of our soul
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Terry,

I was interested to see the picture of your cups on Jim Riser's website. In your crystal cups routine, did you use a cupful of the small glass balls as a single final load?

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Clear Cups & Balls (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL