We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How about a nice friendly game of chess? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The U.S. Championships recently ended in San Diego. Is that the tournament she participated in?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The very one!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm on the Internet Chess Club, also as LobowolfXXX. In 1985, I was the 8th most active member of the United States Chess Federation, but I've largely given up serious chess for bridge. I play speed chess online, but no longer play tournaments. Interestingly, everyone I know who is good at both (subjective, but, say, expert level or higher at chess and silver life master or higher at bridge) prefers bridge. I have several friends who are expert to senior master at chess and don't play anymore, but still play competitive bridge, and at the bridge nationals in Philadelphia a couple of years back, I ran into one of the top female chess players in the world, WGM (Women's Grandmaster) Irina Levitina...who also has given up chess.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2006-03-26 21:42, Chessmann wrote:
I have played, on and off, since I was in Jr. High.

I recently started taking lessons from a student at the Univ. of Texas at Dallas, where the chess program consistently competes for tops in the nation. My teacher is a sophomore, and is rated 2250. I am learning a good deal of things I did not know before - I can now checkmate you with a King and 2 Bishops (vs. a lone King)! :^)

You can also do that with a knight and a bishop but not with two knights.
In my younger years I played in many competitions and represented my province at our nationals when I was in school but since moving to Taiwan I haven't really played. They play different games here. Similar to chess in many wyas though.
Thanks for all the online links maybe I should check them out.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-03-29 08:32, abc wrote:
Quote:

I recently started taking lessons from a student at the Univ. of Texas at Dallas, where the chess program consistently competes for tops in the nation. My teacher is a sophomore, and is rated 2250. I am learning a good deal of things I did not know before - I can now checkmate you with a King and 2 Bishops (vs. a lone King)! :^)

In about half of the possible positions, though, you can force checkmate with 2 knights if the guy WITHOUT the two knights has a rook's pawn, not just a king. You herd him over toward the pawn, and his own pawn blocks one of the flight squares that the knights can't handle themselves. It's probably the toughest checkmate to force; it comes up rarely, and grandmasters have often screwed it up.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
So who are your favourite players? I think I'll have to go with Fisher despite his idiosyncrasies. But Kasparov was ultra-solid, stamping his authority on the game for a good couple of decades. In the modern game, Topalov is great too. Oh, and Capablanca from the past masters! Smile
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-03-29 16:59, NeoMagic wrote:
So who are your favourite players?

Deep Blue.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I was captivated by an A&E Biography on Bobby Fisher. I learned about his almost unbearable demands and idiosyncracies as a player. While playing against a Russian champion, I think it was Viktor Korchnoi, Fisher complained that he could hear whispers from the viewing gallery and had the first couple of rows of seats removed. Later during the game he complaiend that he could still hear some of them occasionally cough or even breath! So away went several more rows of seats until there were very few left.

I was in awe at how hypercritical Fisher had become in several of his last and most important tournaments.

Over the next couple of days, Fisher would not show up to continue play until certain of demands were met including certain lighting.

What came next took the cake as he complained that he could hear the reels of video cameras in the theater as he was being filmed during this very important match. They actually brought in a sound expert who ran some tests and said it was absolutely, and without a doubt, impossible for the human ear to pickup the mechanical sounds of the video cameras but Fisher insisted he could hear them and it interrupted his concentration. At the time he was loosing terribly but eventually won the match.

An incredible talent and unusual character. So are any of you as fastidious? Hehehe.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Many years ago I had a collection of books, subscribed to a magazine and played via postcards for a while.
I was a bit fanatical about it. Studied a variety of openings, end games, etc.

I had a small booklet that involved mating in a number of moves that I read at work every night for a long time.

I haven't played in years and forget a lot of stuff.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-03-29 19:14, Jaz wrote:
and played via postcards for a while.

Wow, considering how boringly quick results are these days, I think I might be interested in the wonderful anticipation of awaiting a response via the postcard. Is the trip to the mailbox to find something handwritten or, in this case, checked off as a game, sacred anymore?

To anyone born in the last 10 years the answer is a resounding NO.

Shame.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2006-03-29 10:46, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-03-29 08:32, abc wrote:
Quote:

In about half of the possible positions, though, you can force checkmate with 2 knights if the guy WITHOUT the two knights has a rook's pawn, not just a king. You herd him over toward the pawn, and his own pawn blocks one of the flight squares that the knights can't handle themselves. It's probably the toughest checkmate to force; it comes up rarely, and grandmasters have often screwed it up.

Indeed correct but I was referring to a lone king. The Rook pawn has to be blocked though. I don't think I would be able to do this as I still battle with the knight and bishop mate.
As for my favorite player. For sheer aggression I have to go with Kasparov.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Two good books on Fischer:

Profile of a Prodigy, by Frank Brady. Tons of info, kind of treats Fischer's stranger qualities lightly, but an excellend read.

Bobby Fischer vs. the Rest of the World!, by Brad Darrach. Wow, this is a highly detailed account of the events leading up to the Spassky match in '72, and of course, the match itself. Hilarious read. Many times feels like the Keystone Cops. *Really* puts Fischer in a bad light.

also,

Bobby Fischer Goes to War, by.... I forgot. Excellent treatment of the whole '72 match and the events leading up to, and after, it. Lots more from the Soviet perspective, as those folks are much more accessible now.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
First off, I have a Hoyle board game CD that has a simple chess program in it. It never gets used because I stink at chess!

Secondly, in regards to how you respond to the computer beating you, I'm reminded of a quick moment in a Kurt Russell horror film where he's beaten by the computer. As it says; "Checkmate," he opens a door in the side and pours in his drink!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
For favorite players, I'm partial to Fischer & Tal. Others would include Capablanca, Keres, Bronstein... Some of the best chess books out there are old tournament books...the game collections, usually annotated by one of the players, so you get personal info about some of the competitors and also the tournament in general. Particularly good are Bronstein's book on the 1953 tournament in Zurch, the New York 1924 tournament, Nottingham 1936, and AVRO 1938.

magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I enjoy a game of chess and have recently got my girlfriend hooked on it.

My brother bought my father fridge chess. Which is basically a magnetic chess board you stick to your fridge. It's great it means there is always a game of chess going on, between my father and I, on my parent's fridge. Whenever I visit I make a move and the next time I call round dad will have moved. The disadvantage is it sometimes takes me 10 minutes to get a glass of milk.

Anyone play online? I occasionally go to the yahoo games (id;majikgeorge) if anyone would like to name a time I could go meet you there for a game.

George
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
If you really want to study modern games I love the Kasparov Karpov tournament notes and games for the year in which Kasparov defended his title. His aggresion and tactics were spectacular.
hypnotize
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of hypnotize
I am also a chess fanatic. I play one serious game or two every day against K-Chess (PC software).
I have to say that this game expands your logical thinking and its worth every second spent. I also avoid "garbage" and stuff that does not occupy my mind extensively like: TV, boring DVD movies, PC games other than chess, etc.

So it's mainly reading/ watching/ studying mentalism and playing chess in my free time.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
I used to love to play. Before the internet it was tough to find people who were into playing.

Too often chess gets labled as nerdy or un-cool but nothing could be further from the truth. Chess rocks.

This thread should be re-titled "chess-nuts boasting on an open foyer."
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
LOL!!!!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Count me in. I love the game. I even know a couple of chess jokes.

My brother and I played chess by mail. Who won? The Post Office!

Did you hear the one about the really poor chess champion? His first move was always to pawn his king!

The first one is better, I know...
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How about a nice friendly game of chess? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL