We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How about a nice friendly game of chess? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That hurt...

osted: Jul 4, 2006 10:20am
This is different...it may take a while to grasp it, but I've never seen a chess engine that thinks or plays like this. Go here: http://www.turbulence.org/spotlight/thinking/index.html
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Quote:
On 2006-07-04 10:20, daffydoug wrote:
This is different...it may take a while to grasp it, but I've never seen a chess engine that thinks or plays like this. Go here: http://www.turbulence.org/spotlight/thinking/index.html

hm...what do you mean exactly? I played a game and it must be a pretty low level. it`s easy to win!
kiki
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
^ Well, it does say on the site:

"The chess playing engine is designed to be at the same level as the average viewer of the piece. If you're a tournament chess player, you would clobber most casual players--and you'll clobber Thinking Machine 4 too... The chess engine we built is simple... The goal of the piece is not to make an expert chess playing program..."
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-07-04 11:58, KiKi wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-07-04 10:20, daffydoug wrote:

hm...what do you mean exactly? I played a game and it must be a pretty low level. it`s easy to win!
kiki

I meant to grasp the concept of how the thing works. All those lines going everywhere make it a little hard too see the pieces.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I Taught my two sons to play, and how to play well. Now they both beat me. My eldest won 6th in the State Competition for his high school. My youngest (12) is very good now.

It's a great game, but I don't play it much these days and I should.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yup. keeps the ol' brain cells young.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I have had the pleasure of being beaten like a dog by nearly everyone I've played against. Yes, I have reached that all important point of accepting defeat with the grace that can only come with practice.
I play on Gameknot.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
ChrixF
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of ChrixF
I played chess while growing up, but then I became distracted by something else, magic. Honestly. I played chess for 3 years and then I started "studying" magic.

Chrix
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I have now been beaten by the "Thinking Machine 4". Wonderful.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
240 Posts

Profile of galerius
When I was younger, I used to play games, replay Masters' games on the board, buy books etc. My love for chess was an unreciprocated love, alas!, but it was anyway love.
Then my passion decreased, slowly but unrelentingly. It's an irony of destiny ; when I was into chess it was so difficult - as said by someone before - to find an opponent (I live in a small town, no chess clubs here, no computers at that time etc...and I didn't like to play by mail ) ; now that I could meet millions of chess enthusiasts on the net, play against programmes etc...my passion is gone.
This is life, sometimes !
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-07-09 00:16, Josh Riel wrote:
I have had the pleasure of being beaten like a dog by nearly everyone I've played against. Yes, I have reached that all important point of accepting defeat with the grace that can only come with practice.
I play on Gameknot.

Gameknotis good. You can get some pretty good challenges there.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Chess is a good game but sure could use some dice, or one of those pop-o-matic things.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ha ha!!
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
How about posting some of your own best/favourite games for others to see/comment? I'm no more than an above average player I'd say but sometimes manage to hold my own against much higher rated players... here's an online game I drew (I might have missed the win) against a player rated Elo 2175... I was white:

[Date 26 November 2005]
[White NeoMagic]
[Black Elo Rated 2175"]

[Result 1/2 - 1/2]
[Opening "Philidor's defense"]
[Time Control 2 mins + 12 seconds]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bc4 Be7 4. h3 Nf6 5. Nc3 O-O 6. O-O a6 7. a4 c6 8. d4
d5 9. dxe5 dxc4 10. exf6 Bxf6 11. e5 Qxd1 12. Rxd1 Be7 13. Bg5 Bxg5 14. Nxg5
Bf5 15. Rac1 h6 16. Nge4 Nd7 17. Nd6 Be6 18. f4 g6 19. Nxc4 Bxc4 20. Rxd7
Rfd8 21. Rcd1 Bd5 22. Rxd8+ Rxd8 23. Nxd5 cxd5 24. c4 d4 25. Kf2 Kf8 26. Kf3
f5 27. g4 Ke7 28. gxf5 gxf5 29. Ke2 Rg8 30. Kd3 Ke6 31. Rd2 Rg3+ 32. Kxd4
Rf3 33. Kc5 Rxf4 34. Rd6+ Ke7 35. Rxh6 Rf2 36. Rh7+ Ke6 37. Rxb7 f4 38. Rb6+
Kxe5 39. Rxa6 Rxb2 40. Rd6 f3 41. Rd1 f2 42. Rf1 Kf4 43. a5 Kg3 44. a6 Ra2
45. Kb6 Kg2 46. Rxf2+ Kxf2 47. Kb7 Ke3 48. a7 Kd4 49. a8=Q Rxa8 50. Kxa8
Kxc4 51. Kb7 Kd5 {draw by mutual agreement} 1/2-1/2

After 48. a7 Kd4 I think there may have been a win in there for me? Was it time to advance the h-pawn?
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How about a nice friendly game of chess? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL