The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Principle behing Max Maven trick (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Radek
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Radek
Hi all,

I am looking for the principle behind the trick « The International Travel Mystery«  from Mind Games of Max Maven.
I have found some other lookalike tricks but not the principle or the math rules behind them.

My idea is to be able to generate new boards of elements with some new ways to always reach the same destination.

Anyone could help ?

Thx,

R
Thomas Henry
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1410 Posts

Profile of Thomas Henry
Hello Radek,

The ultimate textbook on this topological scheme is Karl Fulves, Hex Squared, (no place: self-published, 2001).

At 118 pages, it's got everything you'd ever want to know about the principle, including a couple dozen variations and themes. Whether you can locate a copy of this hard-to-find book is another matter. I was lucky to fetch it during its unadvertised short run.

The original principle for magic supposedly dates back to at least the November 1971 issue of The Pallbearer's Review, but I have not actually seen that article myself. This was a couple decades before Max Maven started using it.

Hope that helps a little.

Thomas Henry
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

Curious who I am? See my quick video bio.
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Dear Radek,

If you want to create such tricks, you might also be interested in an alternative principle which was first described by "The 3x3 Matrix" by Martin Gardner in "Scientific America" August 1960. It was used in tricks such as "Voice From Another World", "The Two Guns" (by Robert Neale) or "The Room of Doubt" (Louis Tannen, Inc.) where the instructions came from a tape recorder.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1WTRkTjcA for a demonstration by David Copperfield (It has been reported that Max Maven helped to create the trick).

As already mentioned - it is another principle - but it can be worth to look at both principles - and maybe to combine them.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, Thomas Henry wrote:
Hello Radek,

The ultimate textbook on this topological scheme is Karl Fulves, Hex Squared, (no place: self-published, 2001).

At 118 pages, it's got everything you'd ever want to know about the principle, including a couple dozen variations and themes. Whether you can locate a copy of this hard-to-find book is another matter. I was lucky to fetch it during its unadvertised short run.

The original principle for magic supposedly dates back to at least the November 1971 issue of The Pallbearer's Review, but I have not actually seen that article myself. This was a couple decades before Max Maven started using it.

Thomas Henry

I think I have that Pallbearers article .. It's my 10th Wedding anniversary ..but after this weekends festivities I can look it up and get back to you.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2018, saxonia wrote:
Dear Radek,

If you want to create such tricks, you might also be interested in an alternative principle which was first described by "The 3x3 Matrix" by Martin Gardner in "Scientific America" August 1960. It was used in tricks such as "Voice From Another World", "The Two Guns" (by Robert Neale) or "The Room of Doubt" (Louis Tannen, Inc.) where the instructions came from a tape recorder.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1WTRkTjcA for a demonstration by David Copperfield (It has been reported that Max Maven helped to create the trick).

As already mentioned - it is another principle - but it can be worth to look at both principles - and maybe to combine them.

I have an improvement on the Copperfield effect if you'd like a PM....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Radek
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Radek
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2018, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
Dear Radek,

Thx for your proposition.
I had no luck to find the Karl Fulves HEX SQUARED, so any help to create a new grid with more than 3X3 or 4X4 situation or using more than 2 types of squares.

R.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can be found in his (1980) book: Curioser: Pg. #44)

Smile
Radek
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Radek
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2018, Sixten wrote:

Smile

Unfortunately, I can not find it either...
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
One more source is Fulves: More Self Working Card Tricks.
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Quote:
Quote:

Hoping that this was directed to me as well - I would be grateful if you could send me a PM.
I have also worked on this effect, so maybe we can exchange our thoughts.
Radek
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Radek
Hi all,

It seems that "HEX SQUARED" is the only book that contains all the explanation to create new brand matrixes.
All other books only allow to redo an existing one.
In my next gig, I wanna be available ti create several matrixes with the same outcome but not the same final square (if you followed me).

So, I made some research and found that a site called "https://www.funnymagic.net" is the only one selling the pdf files of "HEX SQUARED".
Does someone already ordered from this site, si it legit ?

Cheers,

R.
Radek
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Radek
And by the way, I am looking to build a minimum 22 squares matrix (Just like if I don't need another challenge)
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Quote:
So, I made some research and found that a site called "https://www.funnymagic.net" is the only one selling the pdf files of "HEX SQUARED".

If a shop sells something that is sold out anywhere else, this can be an alarming signal. Also the e-books are far too cheap. Finally: I would not order from a site that does not even provide any contact details. There are several fake-shops around.
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2018, Radek wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2018, Sixten wrote:

Smile

Unfortunately, I can not find it either...

https://magicref.net/magicbooks/books/fulveskarlcurioser.htm

Smile
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
One more suggestion: If you need inspirations for this kind of effects, you can find it in the book "Magic Scratchers" (https://amzn.to/2wpH3xB) which is full of this kind of instruction games / puzzles. They are not explained, but it is anyway more interesting to find out the method by yourself.
Radek
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Radek
Quote:
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2018, Thomas Henry wrote:
Hello Radek,

Thomas Henry

I think I have that Pallbearers article .. It's my 10th Wedding anniversary ..but after this weekends festivities I can look it up and get back to you.

Hi Mr King,

Did you get the time to get the article ?

Regards,

R.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
I have a question regarding this type of effect. I will use MMs International Travel Mystery to illustrate my point.
The first instruction is...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"start on any flag that has some 'yellow' in it".

I prefer the less prescriptive...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"start on ANY flag"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The second instruction now becomes...
"now move to the nearest flag with some yellow in it"....and the effect continues as normal.

Is there a problem with this approach that I am not seeing?
Use the FORCE Luke.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Here's a very interesting thread concerning "Room for Doubt" by Tony Spina of Tannen's Magic...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=143472
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Art
Use the FORCE Luke.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
And yet another informative thread here...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=75522
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Use the FORCE Luke.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
I have been informed, in another thread, that "Hollywood Squares" is another effect on the same principle. It can be found in "The Intrepid Rogues Manual of Deception" by Atlas Brookings.
Use the FORCE Luke.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Principle behing Max Maven trick (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL