The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Underhanded by Atlas Brookings and Joshua Fletcher (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2175 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Whenever Atlas Brookings releases a publication, it is worth taking note. So many of his works have become classics as well as in significantly advancing mentalism and its principles.

Atlas and Joshua Fletcher have a new publication. At the moment it is a download although a print version is, I gather, also planned. Being on Atlas's mailing list I was one of the first to buy and was greatly impressed.

It involves a stack of business cards and with a spectator writing or drawing on one. There is no restriction on what or where they write and, after some moments concentration, the spectator is given the stack of business cards to hold and with their written-on card concealed somewhere in the middle of the stack.

The performer, after suitable drama and build up, gradually divines the spectator's word.

If the spectator wishes, they can look through the stack of business cards they hold and will find their card buried in the middle. Absolutely nothing is amiss and the whole effect is delightfully clean and well-structured. Also the business card is not folded in any way and, apart from the writing, is no different from any of the other cards.

There is obviously a little something else to do but this is easy to accomplish and within the abilities of almost all. Everything is clearly explained and illustrated.

In addition to the Underhanded principle, Atlas describes one of his favourite and most performed routines, The Epic Triple Fail. This is strong and practical and packs a punch. There is also a Q & A routine included but, with Underhanded, you can divine all sorts including numbers, drawings, places, dates or anything else written on the card. Its effectiveness can also be seen in a TV clip of Joshua Fletcher performing Underhanded and in seeing the startled reaction of the presenters.

There are a lot of p**k methods available but what I particularly like about Underhanded is its cleanness, apparent fairness, ease to perform as well as there being no awkward or suspicious moves. You also get a full p**k and this need not be hurried.

Underhanded is practical, solid and will, I predict, become a firm favourite of many. I will definitely be using it and unreservedly recommend.

Another Atlas publication destined to become a classic.

Neil
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Where to purchase?
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1609 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Josh and I are good friends, and possibly the only two performing mentalists in our area of Kentucky. He is a rising performer, an imaginative mind, and his business-card peek is destined to become one of the major enduring methods for gaining information. I think the ebook is available from Atlas Brooking's website, though I am waiting for a published copy.

George
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
I do not see it on his site.
cybercardmagic
View Profile
Regular user
germany,berlin
120 Posts

Profile of cybercardmagic
And where can I buy this on his site it isn't yet.

Wolfgang

Sorry I have obviously not updated and so not seen that in the meantime this question has already been asked
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Hey Neils. So would you use this peak over a peak wallet? I think I saw you in the blink thread. Would you in a close up environment use this instead of blink?
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Hi Neil, thanks for your review!

To those who were looking for this, I'm sorry it wasn't available before - it was sent out last week to those subscribers on my email list. It is now available through my signature link below.

The ad copy is here:

"Why take a business card out of your wallet, have someone write or draw on it, and then put it back into your wallet? Unless the participant is giving you their business card, this makes little sense.

Underhanded is simply...

The Death of the Peek Wallet! (though obviously this doesn't apply to Blink - you should get that)

Underhanded is honestly the easiest, cleanest, most direct piece of peekery out there. It gives you a full business card peek, is easy to do, requires no gimmicks, and is just plain, full blown awesome super best number one! No nonsense, this thing is a beast, a straightforward, low tech workhorse that gives people a reason to hang on to your business cards. And there is nothing to find. You are so clean, it looks like you work for the CDC... ummm... because I'd expect those guys to be pretty fastidious about cleanliness. I could be totally wrong though and that analogy doesn't track.

But I think it does? Doesn't it?

Anyhow...

Apart from teaching the "Underhanded" method, this book comes with a number of routines, each truly refined through performance at numerous gigs. In fact, the book contains my drawing dupe, Epic Triple Fail, that isn't really a dupe but is probably one of the most powerful reveals I use (really, it makes the ladies hyperventilate... something I've always wanted to be able to say, but I mean it - they are frequently so unexpectedly and suddenly stunned that they forget to breathe and you get that sudden intake of breath and unrepeatable stream of sailor speak), as well as the Epic Q and A - a fantastic mind reading Q and A with three people that leaves EVERYONE floored.

Why buy expensive electronics or peek wallets? Use a low tech method that is truly Underhanded.

It is hard to envision a piece of mind reading that is any more direct!"

And George, I have to agree with you - Josh is fantastic in every respect! It has been my privilege to put together and share releases with some of the best people I've met - Andrew Brown, Josh Fletcher, Raven Gairloch. It is great to enjoy their friendship, and even better when we get the chance to bounce ideas back and forth, test them, refine and create with them. The Crusade was a success. The Solution was a success. Underhanded is every bit as amazing, and oh, so simple and convincing.

All the best,

Atlas
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Sorry, it's not there.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
It is - you're most likely seeing a cached version of the page. Try refreshing your browser Smile

Best,

Atlas
cybercardmagic
View Profile
Regular user
germany,berlin
120 Posts

Found it on your site, is this the download version?????

Wolfgang
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2018, cybercardmagic wrote:
Found it on your site, is this the download version?????

Wolfgang

Affirmative.

Best,

Atlas
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1567 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Sounds interesting! How much/long do you have to touch the stack with their card in it ?

Thanks
Sleepy
cybercardmagic
View Profile
Regular user
germany,berlin
120 Posts

Got it. Thanks

Wolfgang
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3236 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
How does this compare to the myriad other business card stack p**ks? Bold Business or one of it's variations for instance? What makes this different/better?
New Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2175 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2018, SleepyMagic wrote:
Sounds interesting! How much/long do you have to touch the stack with their card in it ?

Thanks
Sleepy

The beauty of this effect is that you control the pace of what happens and a variation of handlings is given. So the answer to the above is, it is your choice. I personally would not rush the performance, so re-enforcing the impression everything is fair and above board ;-)

A further advantage is that you get a full p**k so there is no restriction where the spectator writes or draws on the card. Again this need not be rushed.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
How does this compare to the myriad other business card stack p**ks? Bold Business or one of it's variations for instance? What makes this different/better?

The first section of the book looks at other methods and why I don't use them in performance - a sort of pro and con list without tipping their processes. Bold business requires a lot more handling and moves and you often begin the reveal before your peek, then you've got to get the card back. Underhanded is much quicker and cleaner and you end clean, nothing looks tricky or funny and the cards are in their hands when you read their mind. Underhanded is also completely ungimmicked, no L/S, just normal business cards.

I hope that helps!

Best,

Atlas
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
236 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
First off, thank you Neil and George for all the kind words.

I thought I’d take a moment to point out/reemphasize the following points: the performer only handles the cards briefly, the reason for doing so is completely justified, and everything ends exactly as it should be. As soon as you get the p**k, you’re beyond reproach.

All you need is a stack of cards and something to write with. No setup. No cleanup. No reset.

Sincerely,

Joshua Fletcher
Manos Kartsakis
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Manos Kartsakis
Sounds like my kind of thing and with Atlas' name on it, I know this is going to be good. I will check this out later today when I get home. Smile
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Thanks Manos - I know you'll like it.

My opinion is that if you're serious about mentalism, you need to know this peek. It really is just that solid and will, I predict, become one of the fundamentals like Acidus Novus and the center tear. Only, I think people will prefer Underhanded - I certainly do.

Best,

Atlas
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of ed wood
How does this look from a spectator pov?
They write on a card, then what?
Do they put it in the stack or do you?
Does it appear to go in the centre or top then covered with rest of stack?
Any fiddling/mixing after this point? (From a spectator pov)
I assume this will work with blank cards as well as business cards?
Is this just an ebook or will there be a physical release?
Can I think of any more questions?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Underhanded by Atlas Brookings and Joshua Fletcher (43 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL