The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Underhanded by Atlas Brookings and Joshua Fletcher (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I really am glad so many are appreciating Underhanded. It is such a brilliant and effective method and, while I have not ditched certain peek wallets, CT and billet manipulations are (thankfully) for me a thing of the past.

In using Underhanded I have found a very small dab of fanning powder is very effective, especially when using my own non-glossy business cards or plain cards (bought from Rymans in the UK.) This ensures everything goes smoothly, in more ways than one.

Neil
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
236 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
Videoman,
I too always struggled with the move in question. That is what led to the alternate handling that is discussed in “The P**** P***” section of the book. I find it to be significantly easier and more deceptive. There is also a two-stage handling discussed in that section that eliminates the problem altogether. Feel free to contact me if you need further clarification.

Thanks,
Josh
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4019 Posts

Profile of videoman
Hey Josh, yes I had overlooked that section. Thanks for pointing it out. Great handling for it.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1275 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I have to know - has anyone using Underhanded tried the Epic Triple Fail yet?!?! I have to believe the answer is no, because if anyone had, there'd definitely be some noise here about it!

Seriously - someone let me know how it went down for you.

All the best,

Atlas
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Still haven't tried the Epic Triple Fail yet, but did re-read that section of the manuscript and will give it a try soon.

Was tempted to buy one of the new peek envelopes released in the last few days (it does look very nice), but was able to resist the temptation thanks to Underhanded. So I continue to save money thanks to my investment in Underhanded.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, Atlas wrote:
I have to know - has anyone using Underhanded tried the Epic Triple Fail yet?!?! I have to believe the answer is no, because if anyone had, there'd definitely be some noise here about it!

Seriously - someone let me know how it went down for you.

All the best,

Atlas

So I FINALLY tried the EPIC Triple Fail. I guess I was reluctant to fail. But now that I've tried it, there is no turning back. Not only does the Epic Triple Fail pack a wallop, it makes for a much more entertaining experience.

Wonderful thinking here, Atlas.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Oh, and something else worth noting. I had given my spectator the stack of cards to hold while I attempted to re-create her drawing. Instead of holding the stack, she set it down.

After the routine, a few moments went by, and she picked up the stack of cards to find her drawing, which was right in the middle of the stack where it should be.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Recently I discovered that having the spectator write on the glossy side of the double blank business card makes the workings easier, smoother. If you have dry hands you may want to give this a try.

When using a sharpie, no issue having them write on the glossy side.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1168 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I’ve been using Underhanded a lot since first learning it last year, and I think it is tops! Two things I’ve discovered—it works just fine without having to hand the card to the spec before placing it in the stack... I generally just set it down briefly and then put it back in. Also—I find there is generally no need for the “get ready” when doing the alternative move that folks are saying looks more natural. I do it both ways without much difficulty. Two thumbs up for me!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, Seth speaks wrote:
I’ve been using Underhanded a lot since first learning it last year, and I think it is tops! Two things I’ve discovered—it works just fine without having to hand the card to the spec before placing it in the stack... I generally just set it down briefly and then put it back in. Also—I find there is generally no need for the “get ready” when doing the alternative move that folks are saying looks more natural. I do it both ways without much difficulty. Two thumbs up for me!

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Underhanded is a real delight and worker.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, Seth speaks wrote:
it works just fine without having to hand the card to the spec before placing it in the stack... I generally just set it down briefly and then put it back in.

This is a great idea, Seth! Thank you for sharing.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1423 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Or...you could skip the entirely illogical moment of removing the signed card from the bottom altogether (because it is entirely illogical) by supposedly cutting the stack to center it. After all, if you actually wanted to lose it "for real", that's what you'd do. So simply give the cards a single cut - a "HaLo cut" specifically. It's a genuine cut, but retains the bottom card in place. Get your peek as you pocket or place the stack of business cards away. Short, fast, and simple... and exactly what you'd do in real life without any illogical moves. Removing the signed card from bottom to insert it into the center of the stack only a moment later, is not only illogical and time-consuming, but it draws attention to something that should be a "non-moment". Just cut the darn stack of cards and be done with it.
Magic which awakens and nourishes the divine spirit in man encourages the growth of true humanity, in contrast to the materialistic outlook which binds man to the earth.

Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1275 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Stunninger - I'm glad you finally tried the Epic Triple Fail! There really isn't any going back once you have - it gets the best reactions!

And I'm glad Seth and NeilS are also enjoying Underhanded!

As far as Sudo's idea, that's a pretty smooth peek! A HaLo cut and glimpse as you pocket. I'll stick with Underhanded, though for the reasons I outlined in my post earlier:

Quote:
On Aug 10, 2018, Atlas wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts - it was pointed out that it doesn't require any difficult moves, which I view as a definite plus. When I'm performing, I like to leave behind any card moves that belong in the realm of the magician. That's a huge part of why I love this so much!

Now Tom's review was pretty epic itself - thanks Tomas for sharing all your thoughts. You did mention three points that I wanted to give you my thoughts on:

Quote:
On Aug 9, 2018, tomd wrote:

It's a solid technique, that will likely do the job for you, no questions. My personal issue with it is that (this is very subjective) the main things it solves are elements I don't care much about solving. Firstly, it's ungimmicked.. if the gimmick is good, and does the job in an incredibly clean way, then I'm carrying it with me wherever I go. Secondly, underhanded is examinable.. if I feel like something needs to be examined by a spectator after the performance, I've failed. It's not really that much of a benefit in my eyes, because nothing is getting examined anyway. Thirdly, you end clean. Well, I kind of want to avoid ever going back to the billet they wrote on anyway, sort of try and present this as a mind to mind thing. Ending clean is irrelevant to me. I ideally want to do away with them writing down anything in the first place, by never mentioning it again... HAVING SAID THIS, objectively, this are benefits. I don't dismiss them out right. Especially point one about gimmicks, it makes it way easier to walk into a room with just pieces of paper.

1. Gimmicks - I perform so frequently that when I know how to do something without gimmicks, it really makes it much easier to get ready for and work a gig. There is no preparation, and no LIMIT on the number of times I can present something. If there is a gimmicked way to do something and an ungimmicked way, if the ungimmicked version is just as clean, I will always prefer the latter.

2. Examinable - I fully agree with you. If you've done the job right, nobody should be suspicious or want to look things over. But, on the one hand, knowing that something is examinable ensures that you don't telegraph any nervous energy in relation to the thing you've used. And, on the other hand, at gigs, you find that people are often pretty "handsy" (it is true - I can't tell you how many times big sweaty men have picked me up and kissed me on the cheek in delight) and, as you're coming across as friendly and cheerful, people often feel they have license to just grab things and have a look regardless of what you'd prefer - especially when they are skeptical. In those moments, it is truly a relief that there is nothing to find.

3. Ending Clean - I've got no beef with this statement either, except on a business level. You've given them your business card. You want them to keep that business card. And then you want them to use it! So whenever I use business cards, my aim is always to have that person keep it - otherwise, why use them at all? Any old scrap of paper would do instead. In this situation, when they go back to keep the card, they need to find it where it ought to be. And when they do, you get the chance to gain them as a customer in the future.

So, anyhow, those are my thoughts. On a lot of levels - including as a businessman - Underhanded was the perfect fit and that's part of why Tomas so rightly pointed out my enthusiasm for it.

All the best,

Atlas
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
I'll stick with Underhanded, too, for those same 3 reasons. Love the freedom of #1, but #2 & #3 make Underhanded as good as I've seen.

Plus, since I've started using Underhanded, I STILL have not bought another wallet!! Tempted a couple of times, but was able to resist the temptation Smile
Ori Ascher
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Ori Ascher
This p**k actually makes me wanna perform it all the time.
So easy to do, the angles are very easy to manage and the p**k is clear as hell.
The best thing for me, is that you finish super clean.
Recommended.
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
236 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
I’m so glad to see people are still enjoying and using Underhanded. I consider myself a much better performer than creator, and the thought of releasing this p**k never even crossed my mind. Underhanded was developed through much real world trial and error to alleviate issues I encountered when using previously available methods. I have used Underhanded literally hundreds of times, and I assure you that, when done correctly, nothing is perceived as illogical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Underhanded by Atlas Brookings and Joshua Fletcher (42 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL