The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pendulums... looking for good resources, ebooks, etc (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Hi Wrayvn.

Thanks for the mention. My site is working - it's just that the shopping cart is disabled due to paypal enforcing SSL certificates with commerce plugins now. So until that's remedied, there are direct paypal button links with each item for the time being. They're all available - you just have to scroll down further on the home page. Smile
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2176 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
That’s great news! When I seen the notice, I thought the site was down for the moment.
I plan on ordering Pendultimate soon.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2850 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
In Pendultimate Sudo offers a wonderful, and I believe unique, method for motivating pendulum movement in the participant's hand. I only wish that I had come up with it first! Smile
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I have seen some wonderful offering by people like Sudo, Amira and others but and this isn't the definitive be all end all of pendulums but I have always thought that a pendulum made with string and a ring from a participant is somehow more personal to the sitter or participant.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2850 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Chris Washuber just created a special pendulum section at Lybrary.com: https://www.lybrary.com/mentalism-spirit......837.html
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I use a Pendulum in both paid performances and impromptu performances. It is something that is with me everywhere I go and I will say that Richard Webster’s material is really got me started and comfortable with the pendulum. Also,Neil Scryer and Kenton kneppers pendulum programming Where a huge influence on me as well. That being said, Dr. Bill’s bend is my all-time favourite routine to do with the pendulum. I do it every time I get the chance and in fact, I did it today and the results as usual of this affect is Exactly what you want out of a routine, leaving them Astonished and can be a real reputation maker.
Twitter @darjames
scottishpiper51
View Profile
Regular user
of Gris-Gris
107 Posts

Profile of scottishpiper51
Paul Voodini's "The Hangman's Noose" is an awesome routine with a chilling nursery rhyme that adds to the creep factor. It's contained in "Pendulum Magic: Routines for Mystery Performers"
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Banachek's Psychophysiological Thought Reading, Magic Inspirations, Houston, 2002 has a section on tricks using pendulums.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2850 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Jamie, thank you for your kind words. I'm pleased to hear Dr. Bill's Bend has served you well.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9013 Posts

Profile of funsway
Surprised no one is talking about multi-bob pendulums made popular by Dr. Bill. Then there are radial pendulums ,,,
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Is the multi bob based on a description from a very old book? I recall reading about such a thing and a very interesting and subtle way to move them in an old book about mediums.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
Trybil by Bill Cushman is based on an old science experiment but what Bill did with it really is amazing and very creative. At the time it was crafted for mind readers by Bill it really was a game changer ... Do not even for a single moment think that its the same as he took that old nearly forgotten idea and whipped it into something extraordinary. That works very well with a live audience and looks real. Plus it can be done without the performer in contact with the bob device. Which is where the idea of Trybil really starts to outshine many of the other concepts that came later on. I would also like to add our dear departed friend Rich Hennessy made come great multi bobs that were designed to use with the Trybil system. All and all really good stuff. It also should be required study for any mentalist working with pendulums even if they never use a multi bob as the driving force behind the idea has applications outside of the normal pendulum work.

Also worth reading for any pendulum student is the work by Bill Cox which covers real dowsing and not magic tricks. This is important as most of the magic back stories are way out of line with the historical methods which used dowsing to find water, oil and gold. Not that those are 100% real mind you but at least when someone googles your back story it will send them down a documented rabbit hole and keep them away from what ever it is you're actually doing.

That said Trybil really is worth buying and recommend.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2850 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Bill, thanks for the ringing endorsement! This thread has me thinking about Rich, too. Miss him and cherish the standard and multi-bob pendulums from his hands that are in my collection.

I think the multi-bobs look so real in part because they feel so real. Same with standard pendulums, just "multiplied" so even more so.

Matt, as far as origins go, Galileo mentioned a version in his "Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences":

"Seeing that you have derived so much pleasure from these novelties, I must show you a method by which the eye may enjoy the same game as the ear. Suspend three balls of lead, or other heavy material, by means of strings of different length such that while the longest makes two vibrations the shortest will make four and the medium three; this will take place when the longest string measures 16, either in hand breadths or in any other unit, the medium 9 and the shortest 4, all measured in the same unit."

Within our bailiwick, David P. Abbott wrote of them in "Behind The Scenes With Mediums" published in 1909:

"the trick was unknown to the dealers of secrets of use to mediums, and to the best of my knowledge has never become known.”

And as I wrote in the intro to Trybil:

"As a nerdy preadolescent I was drawn to books with subtitles like, “Use Science To Create Magic!” on their covers. My instincts tell me that I first encountered the idea of the Multi-Bob pendulum in this kind of a book. But I’ve had no luck in finding the ideas behind the Multi-Bob in such books spanning the last 60 years, though did come across one reference to the bottle version. I’m sure someone will read this and steer me in the right direction. You know who you are!"

To my surprise, I'm still waiting on the answer to this one!
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2018, Goldfield wrote:
Pablo Amira has some work on pendulums too

Thanks!
"Ideas about Pendulums"" is available as book and eBook

Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2018, Bill Cushman wrote:

Within our bailiwick, David P. Abbott wrote of them in "Behind The Scenes With Mediums" published in 1909:

"the trick was unknown to the dealers of secrets of use to mediums, and to the best of my knowledge has never become known.”

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. I didn't want to mention it in case you wanted to keep the idea more secret. Abbott's book is public domain after all.

Trybil is definitely on my list now
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Wow, I'm only about a 1/4 way through Trybil, but I'm really excited about this. Dr. Bill's version is WAY more practical than the thing described in Abbott. I'm off to the craft store right now to get supplies to make a multibob pendulum.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17658 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Jim Callahan's multi bob is excellent ..
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9013 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
Wow, I'm only about a 1/4 way through Trybil, but I'm really excited about this. Dr. Bill's version is WAY more practical than the thing described in Abbott. I'm off to the craft store right now to get supplies to make a multibob pendulum.

I suggest a curved branch so that the different lengths of cord are not so obvious. Look at the harmonic curve of a harp for a guide.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I forgot about Trybil it is very good.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, funsway wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:

I suggest a curved branch so that the different lengths of cord are not so obvious. Look at the harmonic curve of a harp for a guide.

Oh, that's a very interesting idea, thanks for the suggestion.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Pendulums... looking for good resources, ebooks, etc (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL