The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge ball finale (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7963 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Warren! My routinel, too! I used it for YEARS in High Schools, and, it never failed to knock their socks off!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1419 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I agree that the two balls appearing in the specs hand blows their mind. That amazes me because I know how simple it is. However, I'Ve found the 16 ball explosion tops it.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Hey, K

I know there are legitimate exceptions to general "rules", but in my experience have something change in the spectator's is FAR stronger than any "one in the pocket, one in the hand" sort of thing. I way you know that is I've never heard a spectator tell someone else about seeing a hand/pocket routine, but I have heard a lot of people tell others about the time "the ball APPEARED IN MY HAND!!!!!!". In my view, generally, anything you do before that is forgettable prep and anything after is anti-climatic.

Obviously that doesn't not apply for something in-the-spectator's-hand that builds, like an explosion, jumbo ball, sponge "4" or something like that....those build theatrically. But for my money, if you are just doing a more standard routine without multiplying or changing props, start with the hand/pocket stuff and slay then with a "it flies to their hand" finally.

BTW: All this reminds me of the one time I used the Goshman Ding Dong for someone. This is definitely a pick-your-audience-prop and I worked in a store with a women who I thought was the perfect target. She was this rude, crude, crusty Italian woman...probably in her 60's...smoked like a chimney and had this raspy smokers voice. Right out of central casting.

She actually liked seeing magic tricks but always made sure to give me crap about them. So one day I came to work prepared. She wanted to see something so I did a simple sponge ball routine where she ended up "3 in her hand". When she opened her hand and saw the sponge cock and balls, I figured she would react but I was unprepared.

She started laughing...I mean these loud, whooping gales of wheezy laughter that made everyone in the store look at us. She was bent over at the waist, banging on the desk, coughing, turning red sucking in a tortured breath and starting all over again. I literally was worried she was going to have a stroke or something.

Then it happened. In mid laugh, she started hollering, "I pee'd myself!!!" And went off into fresh gales of laughter...wheezing, coughing, bellowing laughter punctuated with "You made meee peeee myself!". She staggered off to the woman's room laughing and hollering her pee status all the way, with people frozen in place staring at her like they felt they needed to protect their children.

I never felt the need to do that trick again
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1419 Posts

Thanks for the latest input Dick, Warren, and Dave. Upon more reflection I have to agree with your statements. I never get as good of a reaction from the two in the hand bit. I think I'm gonna go back to the explosion or try sponge bunnies. Also thanks for that beautiful story. I like learning new tricks but always enjoy hearing stories more. Tjats one of the things that makes Dicks book so great
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes Dave, that is the strongest finish to the sponge balls but you do have to choose your victim carefully. that has gotten me free meals sometimes at a restaurant after bellows of laughter. I do a regular routine with two or three in their hand. Then I say I am tired of magic, show them the balls and put them in their hand. I say I really want to read your mind, what you are thinking of,... that is when long dong sponge makes its appearance. in their hand. nothing like it.
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
939 Posts

Profile of helder
Speaking of ding dong as finish, need a method to switch 3 balls for ding dong, any idea?
Youri
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Youri
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2018, Theodore Lawton wrote:
One way I used to finish my routine for table hopping was to use a giant sponge ball in the spectator's hand, you end clean and they get a real surprise without having a handful of sponge balls to deal with. It's also not as anti-climactic as ending with "nothing."

I do the same. But the giant sponge ball appears in my hand ! I'll give a try to your method. Thank you !
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1345 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The explosion of balls at the end is fabulous. I chose to end my routine with a two in the pocket, one in the hand sequence in which the second time I do the two in the pocket on in the hand bit, the balls all vanish, which is a bit surprising as the last time through, three balls appeared when there was supposed to be one.

I don't know that my ending beats the sponge ball explosion ending, but I have two points in my routine where balls travel to a spectator's hand, which means my ending can be clean (no chasing sponge balls), the routine comes full circle (as all balls end up back in the pocket) and better yet, I'm immediately reset. Food for thought.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19323 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It works perfect for you and this is the most important element. Also spectators are not comparing it to anything but you so if you pull it off and they enjoy it you nail it!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1128 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Check out my routine on my In the Trenches DVD or at Reel Magazine.com (best deal in Magic1).

Based on the Ken Brooke routine with my own little touches. I have used it for years to great success!

Respectfully,

Paul Green
douglasnagel22
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
12 Posts

Profile of douglasnagel22
My favorite finale is from Aldo Colombini. It ends with him saying "would you be amazed if there is 50 here?" "Well, it is 50, but it's 50 cents." And then reveal a half dollar in your hand instead of sponge balls.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7963 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
So, I'll toss in the story of the Chicago magician who hand cut sponge balls, to eat during the GREAT DEPRESSION.

He had a panel truck (van nowadays) He lived in it. He used gas stations to wash up in the mornings, etc. He had a sponge rubber mattress. He would park under a street light, and, cut a chunk from the mattress. He "carved 1" sponge balls. In the morning, he would visit the brick & mortar magic shops to sell his nightly production. (There were LOTS of magic shops in Chicago, in those days.

Martin Gardner had published a routine with two sponge balls. I think it was called the "Ten Count Trick". It was cheap, Perhaps $.25, and sold well. (I believe Magic Inc. still sells the routine, but the price is higher!

The magician would save enough each day so that he could buy a new mattress, when the old one got "too small".

I got this story from Frances Marshall, about 50 years ago.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7963 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Aren't you glad that Al (Baker the Faker) developed those nice ROUND balls!
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1419 Posts

Beautiful story Dick. Always nice to learn a little history
kylefromcanada
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of kylefromcanada
My go to is the None Nun gag. They are hard to find these days but it's a really effective bit in table magic scenarios.

Quote:
On Dec 8, 2018, douglasnagel22 wrote:
My favorite finale is from Aldo Colombini. It ends with him saying "would you be amazed if there is 50 here?" "Well, it is 50, but it's 50 cents." And then reveal a half dollar in your hand instead of sponge balls.

That's a great lead into any 50 cent piece routine! Otherwise, you have to introduce the coin in a slightly awkward way.
micwize
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of micwize
You may like Sisterection then! Choose your crowd though
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Sponge ball finale (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL