The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quarter Pounder by R. Paul Wilson (51 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
The hidden brilliance of the QP gimmick is that you can go from one coin to two coins. or two to three. and you can just as easily disappear one of the coins in your hand. you cannot easily do this with a shell, a flipper or split coin. I think the possibilities for this gimmick and its variants have hardly been tapped.
castype
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of castype
Wizard Product Review gave this a great review. https://youtu.be/YTj-uhHqZ5E?t=463 . I couldn't agree more. At first I thought, "is that it?" But after watching the explanation and a bit of practice, I see major potential for other routines as well.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2018, castype wrote:
Wizard Product Review gave this a great review. https://youtu.be/YTj-uhHqZ5E?t=463 . I couldn't agree more. At first I thought, "is that it?" But after watching the explanation and a bit of practice, I see major potential for other routines as well.

Well deserved. Got it yesterday. Played with it for about 30 minutes. Showed it a handful of times. So easy to do and what great eye candy. I sound like an ad copy but this is going in my pocket daily.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Yeah, it really is a great trick. When I first got QP, I started second guessing it. Thinking it may not be as strong as I hoped. And that certain parts of the routine may raise an eyebrow.

Every time I show it off though, it gets outstanding reactions. And the parts I was worried about fly right by the spec. They don't even question the things I thought they would.

Been in my pocket every day since.

This, Fit, and, indeed, Imagination Coins may be my quarter Trifecta!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Out of interest how many of those that are raving about this effect are performing the effect with foreign coins as apposed to their native coins ?
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2018, warren wrote:
Out of interest how many of those that are raving about this effect are performing the effect with foreign coins as apposed to their native coins ?

I'm in the US so quarters are native to where I am. LoL.

Quote:
On Aug 28, 2018, PendletonThe3rd wrote:
Yeah, it really is a great trick. When I first got QP, I started second guessing it. Thinking it may not be as strong as I hoped. And that certain parts of the routine may raise an eyebrow.

Every time I show it off though, it gets outstanding reactions. And the parts I was worried about fly right by the spec. They don't even question the things I thought they would.

Been in my pocket every day since.

This, Fit, and, indeed, Imagination Coins may be my quarter Trifecta!

The response has consistently been "how did the coin get between your fingers so fast?" It's definitely a effect that is a demonstration of skill rather than Imagination where it's more magic as one typically thinks of magic. So the way I've been approaching QP is akin to the invisible palm where I indicate that I'm doing a move of sorts but in the end after the effect, they actually start to second guess if it was actually skill because skill would not explain how the coin was vanishing and appearing.

For Imagination, I don't do the second and third phases suggested. I do just the first and last phase which structurally makes more sense and keeps the effect focused. I felt that the middle two phases for Imagination was pointless as they don't seem to really care or remember those two phases and only the first and last phases are remembered.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:

As was stated on the WPR they will be performing with sterling currency. It is imperative imo that you always perform coin magic in your own currency whenever possible.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2018, pegasus wrote:

As was stated on the WPR they will be performing with sterling currency. It is imperative imo that you always perform coin magic in your own currency whenever possible.

For me yes as this would be more of an effect to show friends etc ie a little something you can have on you when out and about, if I was performing at a gig then it doesn't matter as much but then I wouldn't be performing this effect I would be performing something much more visual from my existing repertoire rather than using Quarter size coins.

WPR stated they would be performing this with Sterling currency but does that mean it's something I can make myself if so then I would purchase it, if not then I don't see how it could be used with British 10p's as Dave suggested as others have already said on here there is quite a discrepancy between other coins.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
There is absolutely nothing wrong with performing with quarters at a strolling gig. This is something Paul has performed at his gigs for over 10 years! Quarters can easy be scene buy group of five or six.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 28, 2018, RNK wrote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with performing with quarters at a strolling gig. This is something Paul has performed at his gigs for over 10 years! Quarters can easy be scene buy group of five or six.

RNK

I never said there was but in my opinion there are much stronger effects I could do so this would be used more in informal situations for me personally if I could perform it with my own countries currency.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:

For me yes as this would be more of an effect to show friends etc ie a little something you can have on you when out and about, if I was performing at a gig then it doesn't matter as much but then I wouldn't be performing this effect I would be performing something much more visual from my existing repertoire rather than using Quarter size coins.

I believe the post above is from you referring to not performing this becuase of the size of the quarters?

Unless I misunderstood what you wrote above but it sure sounds like you wouldn't perform this because the size of the quarters isn't visual enough for your audience?
ma91cm1ke
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of ma91cm1ke
I agree with Warren. I also live in the UK and this effect would be perfect with 10 pence pieces.
I think that because there is so much attention focused on the edge of the coins, using a gimmick made to be used with US quarters could be problematic. 10p coins are steel and very shiny including the edges and I believe that quarters have copper edge or a much darker edge atleast (I could well be wrong here but I'm sure I remember handling some older quarters which were like this).
Can anyone who owns this give a clear answer as to how easy it would be to have a gimmick made as it is a great effect and I would love to add it to my repertoire but I feel it's main strength is that it's a seemingly impromptu miracle.

Thanks

Michael
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Of course it would be better if you could perform it in your own countries currency. Warren's statement was about the size of the quarters not being visual enough which is certainly not true when you have a group of five or six, it would be plenty visual for all to see.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2018, ma91cm1ke wrote:
I agree with Warren. I also live in the UK and this effect would be perfect with 10 pence pieces.
I think that because there is so much attention focused on the edge of the coins, using a gimmick made to be used with US quarters could be problematic. 10p coins are steel and very shiny including the edges and I believe that quarters have copper edge or a much darker edge atleast (I could well be wrong here but I'm sure I remember handling some older quarters which were like this).
Can anyone who owns this give a clear answer as to how easy it would be to have a gimmick made as it is a great effect and I would love to add it to my repertoire but I feel it's main strength is that it's a seemingly impromptu miracle.

Thanks

Michael

If you have an adequate clamp to hold the coin in and a hacksaw it can be done. Better yet, if you have the adequate clamp and a circular power saw with a metal cutting blade, it will be a breeze.

Better alternative is to buy the gimmick and then go to a currency exchange place to get yourself three quarters. Done. Technically you really only need 2 quarters if you use the bonus gaff. The regular gaff you will need 3 quarters. You can also use the bonus gaff with 3 regular quarters so that if you REALLY want to have 3 quarters examined, you will be able to do so.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Wow. Lets openly expose the method
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2018, RNK wrote:
Wow. Lets openly expose the method

I don't see how. No methods were discussed. What do people think when one points out a gaff/gimmick is required? How did we talk about Svengali? How about when one states that a trick deck is needed or that you are buying a trick deck?

Also, what needs to be done with the coin using the tools is only known when one knows what they are trying to make.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Well it is pretty obvious from the tools that you blatantly exposed what is happening.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2018, RNK wrote:
Well it is pretty obvious from the tools that you blatantly exposed what is happening.

You'll need a clamp to be able to make a !@#$'er or the thing from the sea. Saw would be needed for the !@#$**r as well. Same goes for a sp**t coin. If you think about it, you probably need a clamp for almost all of them and a saw for a good chunk of them. There's several gaffs the QB can be and I don't think I've exposed the method here.

Mods: Feel free to make edits or delete my posts if necessary Smile
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I'm not really a coin guy but picked this up because it looked good and I typically like Paul's releases. As mentioned, the gimmick is very simple but it fooled me so it did it's job. I can handle intermediate coin sleights but nothing intermediate needed here. The moves are pretty simple and straightforward. You basically just need to remember the sequence and focus on making the phases flow smoothly. A tad pricey but a solid release overall. It delivers as advertised.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
For what it's worth the descriptions didn't really tell me anything so I don't think methods were exposed.

As I perform a fair bit of coin magic both gimmicked and ungimmicked unless they come out with a version in my own currency I don't think I would purchase it as it just means I would have to get someone to do alterations to the gimmick for me and as I've said already there are much stronger effects I could and would perform at a paid gig.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quarter Pounder by R. Paul Wilson (51 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL