We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quarter Pounder by R. Paul Wilson (44 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Freddie Henderson
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Freddie Henderson
It’s fairly easy to see how to construct a gimmick to achieve this effect if you have an ounce of coin magic experience . Therefore I do not see any exposure in any of the above posts . My advice would be to buy one first and then make one in your own currency if you like it enough and if you feel the need to show your family and friends . Even then it shouldn’t be a concern as if they think you use gimmicks it’s irrelevant anyway about the currency and an adequact switch and a decent story line is all that is needed and if you can’t provide those take up another hobby . It really is a simple as it gets with this one .
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I bought this. Was quite surprised by the gimmick. But I watched the tutorial and it really appears quite simple to master.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3363 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2018, Freddie Henderson wrote:
It’s fairly easy to see how to construct a gimmick to achieve this effect if you have an ounce of coin magic experience . Therefore I do not see any exposure in any of the above posts . My advice would be to buy one first and then make one in your own currency if you like it enough and if you feel the need to show your family and friends . Even then it shouldn’t be a concern as if they think you use gimmicks it’s irrelevant anyway about the currency and an adequact switch and a decent story line is all that is needed and if you can’t provide those take up another hobby . It really is a simple as it gets with this one .


As much as I rate R Paul Wilson this is the exactly the sort of effect I would show to family and friends as I've already stated when working I would and do use much stronger effects in fact I think Wilson actually said himself that he carries this with him so he can perform something when asked to show something rather than it being part of his close up set.
Freddie Henderson
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Freddie Henderson
I hear you Warren but it sounds as if you are saying that your family and friends know you use gimmicks therefore a foreign coin is most definitely likely to be one ?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3363 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2018, Freddie Henderson wrote:
I hear you Warren but it sounds as if you are saying that your family and friends know you use gimmicks therefore a foreign coin is most definitely likely to be one ?


Actually I rarely use gimmicked coins especially when out with family and friends, I've been in magic for around 24 years and I only own 3 coin gimmicks and they are quite recent additions. As daft as it sounds the reason I've started to use the odd gimmicked coin is down to all the exposure on youtube as gimmicked coin magic is less exposed than SOH methods, you can tell that most youtube performers lack performing skills as most of their video's rely on background music rather than actual patter and don't even get me started on the terrible tutorials.
Freddie Henderson
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of Freddie Henderson
Ok Warren I see you point now but it’s easy to make in UK currency once you have the original imho .
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1780 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
I have no way of making a 10p gimmick.
Is there anywhere I can buy one?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2018, reignofsound wrote:
I have no way of making a 10p gimmick.
Is there anywhere I can buy one?


Once you buy this trick, go to a jeweler.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5518 Posts

Profile of RNK
This is another one I recently added and last weekend and today I used this at strolling gigs and I have to say the crowd loved it. I performed it for as few as two people to up to 12 - 15 people at a time. The Simplicity of this makes this so great. Now I see why Paul said he didn't want to release this 10 years ago when he created and started performing it. For me, it's that good!
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1363 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I did not read the last 7 pages, but did anyone mention this looks just like something from Dusheck? I don't have Quarter Pounder. I do have something from Dusheck that will enable me to perform Quarter Pounder if I wanted.
Smile Smile Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2018, Acecardician wrote:
I did not read the last 7 pages, but did anyone mention this looks just like something from Dusheck? I don't have Quarter Pounder. I do have something from Dusheck that will enable me to perform Quarter Pounder if I wanted.


What Dusheck item are you referring to? I have several of his gaffs and none that I have are even close to what quarter pounder is.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9316 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2018, reignofsound wrote:
I have no way of making a 10p gimmick.
Is there anywhere I can buy one?


Did you get one made up in the end?
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1363 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2018, Acecardician wrote:
I did not read the last 7 pages, but did anyone mention this looks just like something from Dusheck? I don't have Quarter Pounder. I do have something from Dusheck that will enable me to perform Quarter Pounder if I wanted.
Smile Smile Smile



With a little research from a new friend, what I have seems to be exactly the same thing.
tbaronio
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of tbaronio
The Dusheck coin trick using this gimmick is called "Hybrid Coin" and can be found in his book "Dusheck's Coin Magic" published in 1992 by the American Magic Company. Smile
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1363 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2018, tbaronio wrote:
The Dusheck coin trick using this gimmick is called "Hybrid Coin" and can be found in his book "Dusheck's Coin Magic" published in 1992 by the American Magic Company. Smile



Yes, it is the exact same thing.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Got the email today from Penguin about it being back in stock but only 40 units. I saw a sentence at the end that made me laugh a bit.
"Seriously, I'm dumbstruck that nobody thought of this before. You're going to love Quarter Pounder. Acar"

Meanwhile, I am dumbstruck that nobody realized that it has been "thought of" and put in print twice before. Exact same gaff, not sure about the "original take" on a past routine or even the gaff. I am not saying this was done purposely. I respect Paul Wilson and love most of the effects he puts out (including "his take" on others effects). I even really like this effect. I just think this fell short on the "lots of research" he did (according to the video). It is the very first item in Steve Dusheck's Coin Magic book (published in 1992) as "The Hybrid Coin" - and again in print in the January 2012 issue of Magic Magazine.

I'm not making any accusations here, It very well could have been an "Independent discovery" type thing but I do think Mr Dusheck deserves at least a nod. Even if the routines are different at any level, the gaff is exactly the same.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1935 Posts

Profile of ted french
Hey Poof, we know about Steve's effect and we are adding a new video from Paul that credits Steve.
P3
practice practice perform.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
That's good. Will it show up on the Penguin "My Downloads" section automatically, for those who have it already (like Melt 2 and a few others have over time)?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8883 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Got the email today from Penguin about it being back in stock but only 40 units. I saw a sentence at the end that made me laugh a bit.
"Seriously, I'm dumbstruck that nobody thought of this before. You're going to love Quarter Pounder. Acar"

Meanwhile, I am dumbstruck that nobody realized that it has been "thought of" and put in print twice before. Exact same gaff, not sure about the "original take" on a past routine or even the gaff. I am not saying this was done purposely. I respect Paul Wilson and love most of the effects he puts out (including "his take" on others effects). I even really like this effect. I just think this fell short on the "lots of research" he did (according to the video). It is the very first item in Steve Dusheck's Coin Magic book (published in 1992) as "The Hybrid Coin" - and again in print in the January 2012 issue of Magic Magazine.

I'm not making any accusations here, It very well could have been an "Independent discovery" type thing but I do think Mr Dusheck deserves at least a nod. Even if the routines are different at any level, the gaff is exactly the same.


So good to see this, that fine Café members here like Ace, tba and Poof-Daddy all spoke up on this when there seemed to be no mention of Steve Dusheck as to this work. This has happened to Dusheck before and it would be nice to see a magician and magic creator like him better respected for all he has brought to the art. Think Steve's health is not great now and he may have little strength left to fend off those that would so simply dismiss his contributions, but it's just good to know that there are good people in the know that know better as to the right way as to such things, as to such people. I really appreciate them speaking up here and making people better aware of things, in the true tradition here of "Magicians Helping Magicians." I'm sure Steve appreciates it, and thanks so much. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile


"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8883 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2018, ted french wrote:
Hey Poof, we know about Steve's effect and we are adding a new video from Paul that credits Steve.


Just wondering, did you know about this initially, or was it brought to your attention afterwards? Either which way, I'm glad PD thought enough to sorta "check the man behind the curtain" on this (A "Wizard of Oz" reference). 🤔

Well, at least this is a start in a better direction. Looking forward to the update you mention from R.Paul. Thanks ted. Smile


Good Will Towards Men
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile


"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quarter Pounder by R. Paul Wilson (44 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL