The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quarter Pounder by R. Paul Wilson (51 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2018, Xcath1 wrote:
Only the gimmick, only works with quarters

As Paul states in the tutorial, he has used the gimmick on other foreign coins and states that the discrepancy is minor enough that no one notices.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
It’s a simple gaff so it would be pretty simple to have someone make this in your own currency...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2018, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2018, Xcath1 wrote:
Only the gimmick, only works with quarters

As Paul states in the tutorial, he has used the gimmick on other foreign coins and states that the discrepancy is minor enough that no one notices.

RNK

Theoretically it will work with any coin of the same size and features as a US quarter. But I don't know of any coin that has the necessary similar qualities.
I think using it with UK or Euro coins would be very risky. Personally, I would doubt you could get away with it since what the specs are looking at is small so they are forced to look close and will see them side by side by the nature of the effect.

But I am not an authority on all the coins out there, especially when new versions are being minted all the time so I may be wrong and perhaps there is a close enough match out there I am not aware of.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Paul shows an example using the gimmick on a foreign coin in the tutorial. He says that he has used it with a foreign coin before in performance and no one noticed.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
He may be right. TBH, I didn't pay real close attention to that because it wasn't an important factor to me. But I thought he said he thought it would probably work but he hadn't actually tried it.
All I'm saying is that based on what I have seen of foreign coins, I'm not convinced it would pass muster and creators often say things which make it sound easier or better than it is. But even if Paul's statement is correct, that would only hold true for the UK.

So I'm not convinced that it would work even in the UK but I would be happy to be proven wrong.
But the fact remains that there are going to be many (most) countries where using native coins will not work. So it's important not to give the impression that Paul is saying the supplied gaff will work almost anywhere.

However, having said that, as someone already mentioned it is possible to make a gimmick yourself out of whatever coins you wish.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2018, RNK wrote:
Just watched the tutorial on this. I am looking forward to receiving the gaff. Looks like this is going to be super simple to perform and will garner great responses with the audience. I have never seen a gaff like this used in this way before. And actually, I am not sure if I have ever seen a coin gaff like this. Nothing super high tech but very adequate for this routine. I love how this can be thrown in your pocket or that little pocket of your jeans (as Paul states on the tutorial video) to be ready anytime. Also, Penguin throws in a nice bonus gaff! Thanks Shaun!

RNK

Same Here looking forward to receiving my package in the mail.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
I gather the display is necessary in that manner for the gaff in question? In other words, you must always show 2 as 3 from edge? Or is this something that can play on palm, or with other sleights and handling?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I took the plunge on a whim. I trusted it was a "new gimmick" that had not been used this way before. I am not disappointed with the purchase but it is "Almost" exactly what I thought and is a part of a "similar" gaff that I have seen used in a "similar" way. Advertisement is not "deceptive" like many others and they are (so far) including an extra gimmick that does the exact same thing but in a different way. The routine looks VERY SIMPLE to perform and I believe it will play well. Surprisingly, R Paul Wilson flashes a couple times (not on purpose) during the explanation video so it is something that once you notice the flash, you can work a little harder to cover in your performance. Certainly worth carrying around and adding to your "Quarter Dollar" / "borrowed coin" sets.

I would maybe open with this, follow with Garrett Thomas's "Imagination Coins" and finish with Gregory Wilson's "Coin Fusion" Then return the borrowed coins, drop the mike and walk away looking like the "next big thing" Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2018, Nathan Alexander wrote:
I gather the display is necessary in that manner for the gaff in question? In other words, you must always show 2 as 3 from edge? Or is this something that can play on palm, or with other sleights and handling?

Yes. For the appearance of a coin. You can tell by what he’s doing in the demo that you need that display for that.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

Thanks kissdadookie. And okay, I know this isn't the thread for this, BUT if you had to get one effect (now that you mentioned it Poof-Daddy) to carry around with you, is there a clear winner between this and Imagination Coins? I ask because the latter seems powerful, and more amenable to "story/experience" magic vs "watching a trick", although this one is obviously also R. Paul Wilson (brilliant in nearly everything, I trust anything he uses for himself). Thoughts guys?
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
I think if you really want to engage your spec, then Imagination Coins. But there are some bold moves and serious audience management considerations to take in to account. Not hard to overcome, per se, but it has to be considered as you have to be willing to pull some things off which are a bit risky. For that reason, it's not always suited to every situation.

QP is way more straightforward. A quick little impromptu seeming trick. Low risk and pretty easy to pull off. And fun to do in any situation.

Depends on what you want to do but they both have a place in your arsenal.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

That's a great answer thank you. Which is a problem because I know what that means... I may now have to order both. Smile Decisions, decisions...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
This is one of those instances where I don't feel you need to choose one or the other. I think a version of Quarter Pounder could make a nice lead-in to Imagination Coins.
Think outside the box and develop your own routine utilizing both gaffs and routines. You could make it modular for those times you wish to keep it short and just do one or the other.

But I wouldn't think in terms of QP replacing IC, but rather adding to it.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2018, videoman wrote:
But I wouldn't think in terms of QP replacing IC, but rather adding to it.

Exactly, It would just "add to" rather than replace. All three effects I mentioned "grow" from the previous but all three also use totally different gaffs that you could easily switch in while drawing attention to one coin (inspected) between routines.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
sOnrisemagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of sOnrisemagic
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I took the plunge on a whim. I trusted it was a "new gimmick" that had not been used this way before. I am not disappointed with the purchase but it is "Almost" exactly what I thought and is a part of a "similar" gaff that I have seen used in a "similar" way. Advertisement is not "deceptive" like many others and they are (so far) including an extra gimmick that does the exact same thing but in a different way. The routine looks VERY SIMPLE to perform and I believe it will play well. Surprisingly, R Paul Wilson flashes a couple times (not on purpose) during the explanation video so it is something that once you notice the flash, you can work a little harder to cover in your performance. Certainly worth carrying around and adding to your "Quarter Dollar" / "borrowed coin" sets.

I would maybe open with this, follow with Garrett Thomas's "Imagination Coins" and finish with Gregory Wilson's "Coin Fusion" Then return the borrowed coins, drop the mike and walk away looking like the "next big thing" Smile

thanks for this, I hadn’t considered combining these effects but it’s a great idea. I haven’t looked into coin fusion before, but definitely going to check it out
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

So I got both. Oddly enough after watching the trailer and a little deduction, this effect uses a gimmick that I assumed it must be. I never get lucky like that, ha. But I like it and look forward to getting it in the mail. I love that it will last forever if you don't lose it, and isn't subject to bending, breaking, etc.

And now I can do 2 routines from my pocket with everyday change, and even combine the routines (thanks for the reminder on Imagination Coins, always meant to go back and look at that). I haven't done coins for a while, this will be enjoyable.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
To be perfectly honest, the only coin trick I’ve consistently used is the hopping halves. LoL.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2018, sOnrisemagic wrote:
I haven’t looked into coin fusion before, but definitely going to check it out

Not to take away from the thread but here is a link to Coinfusion for reference.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218
and
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of "Quarter Pounder" Smile

Smile Smile
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

Oh that's hilarious. I just read the quotes again on this effect. It looks like Mr. Phil G. had a little fun with his. A "purposeful gaff" of his own? Funny.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I like it but would prefer it if I could use British coins such as 10p coins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Quarter Pounder by R. Paul Wilson (51 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL