The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Kiddie Tricks"... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit Area Magicians & Mentalists (DAMM)
136 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
I've just gone through a couple posts that talk about performing magic for wide age groups... and a number of people stated that "they don't do kiddie tricks" for the little kids (let's call then 4-6 year olds). I assume by "kiddie tricks" they're talking hippity hop rabbits, magic coloring book, etc. But, what ARE some good "non kiddie tricks" for such young kids? I'm sure one suggestion will be Miser's Dream (which I do), but what else? I think I'm just thinking creatively enough!
Tada!...

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
My Partner Tom came up with a rope routine that plays for young and old. Without giving away everything it incorporates toss a knot (the skilled version) and audience involvement in handing out "knots" and having them toss them back onto the rope.

Think visual Magic. Color changes, solid through solid, T&R, disappearances, appearances, etc... These play well for mixed groups of all sorts.

-Mary Mowder
Jeremy Soon
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
14 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Soon
I do a mixture of sponge balls magic which are very visual with the finale using large or multiple sponge balls. The goshman sponge rabbit and bunnies with different sizes works very well too.
For me, I realize that if my props are something that they can identify with and they can touch and feel it, I get an awesome response.
Jeremy Soon
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
14 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Soon
And hopping spots / what's next routine is great with 4-6 years old as well. They have started to learn to count and they can identify with numbers.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I did, very successfully, what you are asking about, for 50 years on the road.

I sometimes had as many as 1250 primary age youngsters in my audience. --And, those schools booked me AGAIN.

You probably would benefit from reading my book!

PS: I CLOSE with my Misers Dream. (I can't follow it.)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Props are important. But presentation is far above props. It depends on how you entertain with the tricks. I perform Misers Dream for daycare centers. I perform the same trick for adults with a different presentation and character.

Dapperdan, have we met before in Metro Detroit?
Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:

I sometimes had as many as 1250 primary age youngsters in my audience. --And, those schools booked me AGAIN.

For god's sake, Dick... I KNOW that you've successfully done this for 50 years... and I KNOW that there's no topping your Miser's Dream. I KNOW it's not about the prop, it's about the presentation!... I am asking for people's thoughts and input as to what some good prop-less magic for small children might be!

For the record, I ALSO do Miser's Dream (with great success). I'm asking more because I've done a rope routine (with mixed success) and was looking for other people's experiences.
Tada!...

Dapperdan
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Dapperdan
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2018, Dynamike wrote:
Props are important. But presentation is far above props. It depends on how you entertain with the tricks. I perform Misers Dream for daycare centers. I perform the same trick for adults with a different presentation and character.

Dapperdan, have we met before in Metro Detroit?

Hey Mike... we've both been around the Detroit area for ever!... but I've only recently "resurrected" Dapper Dan. I don't think we've had the chance to meet, but I look forward to doing so. There's 6-10 of us that get together every couple of weeks in Southfield... it would be great if you could join us one of these times!
Tada!...

jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
"Adult Tricks" for kids: Tissue paper tear to hat, torn and restored newspaper, comedy chain escape, bank night, 20th century silks, card in balloon, cards across, ring to lockbox, comedy bra trick (just kidding, skip that last one).
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Do the last one and just call it a double-barrel slingshot.
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I don't know what you mean by kiddie tricks but the following go over great for 4-6 year olds which is my main audience most of the time.
Professors nightmare
Comeback bee from Tommy James
Coloring book
Sponge ball routines
Run rabbit run
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Run Rabbit Run / Turbo Bunny by Kovair.

One of the best looks doesn't see pieces.

Just don't do this at the end of the show because it will crank the kids up
when you give them back to the school or parents.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, Neznarf wrote:
Run Rabbit Run / Turbo Bunny by Kovair.

One of the best looks doesn't see pieces.

Just don't do this at the end of the show because it will crank the kids up
when you give them back to the school or parents.

Why not? They're always shoveling sugar down their throats before they turn them over to us!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2018, Dapperdan wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:

For god's sake, Dick... I KNOW that you've successfully done this for 50 years... and I KNOW that there's no topping your Miser's Dream. I KNOW it's not about the prop, it's about the presentation!... I am asking for people's thoughts and input as to what some good prop-less magic for small children might be!

For the record, I ALSO do Miser's Dream (with great success). I'm asking more because I've done a rope routine (with mixed success) and was looking for other people's experiences.

May I offer a thousand apologies for upsetting you! I hadn't seen your name before, although, I note that you have written a hundred + posts.

i hope you noted that I did not suggest any "catalog tricks" (BTW, I wonder how many tricks you can do WITHOUT PROPS! I'm SURE that you KNOW, that PROPS are used to perform TRICKS. A PROP is ANY physical thing, used to perform a TRICK. There are any number of cans, pans, tubes, boxes, and "red velvet bags on a stick, in catalogs. I use mostly generic PROPS, like silks, rope, cards, golf balls, and, paper, (I do use a few dedicated PROPS like an egg bag, 3 linking rings, etc. (Of course, performing a magic show with generic props, definitely requires KNOWLEDGE & SKILL! (but, so does an egg bag or linking rings.

Even Hippity Hop Rabbits require SOME SKILL! The problem with HH Rs. is that, it's a "one time trick". The cat that sat on a hot stove lid, aint gonna sit on a cold one!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did recommend my book ("Dick Oslund -- Road Scholar", because the tricks/routines that I used for 50 years, SUCCESSFULLY, in PRIMARY SCHOOLS THROUGH SENIOR HIGHS are in the book, I didn't write how an egg bag "works". I wrote up my PRESENTATIONS. (Surely, you are aware that "It aint the TRICKS, it's the PRESENTATIONS!

Perhaps you noticed, that I did not recommend HIPPITY HOP BUNNIES, DOVE PANS, AND RUN RABBIT RUN, etc., although a few guys did. I do not use PROPS that "telegraph" the trick! On the road, I never knew what the "local" magician had done.

I am definitely not the world's greatest magician, but, I was never "at liberty". Managers would call me, to ask when I was available.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
BTW, MY rope rootine NEVER gets "mixed success". It gets laughs, and APPLAUSE, EVERY TIME.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
BTW, MY rope rootine NEVER gets "mixed success". It gets laughs, and APPLAUSE, EVERY TIME.

Loved it. It's one of the best I've ever seen if not the best, and excellent for children of any age.
Tricky Ricky
amazingvijay
View Profile
Loyal user
N. California Bay Area
230 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
Chop cup will fool adults and kids..

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Kiddie Tricks"... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL