We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Dress Studs for tuxedo shirt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
326 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
I have just purchased a tux shirt that requires dress studs rather than buttons. I'm finding that these studs tend to come out very easily. Any tips to make the darn things stay in, or is there a source for studs that will fasten securely into the shirt ?
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Most studs will stay in place. If yours come out the fix is simple. Just tighten up the button holes with a needle and thread. Even if you don't know how to sew, it's just a stitch or two on the inside layer of the shirt. Because it's the inside, even a poor job won't be seen.
edfliss
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
58 Posts

Profile of edfliss
There are several styles of studs. I wear my grandfather's mother-of-pearl studs which attach with a wire loop in the back. They are difficult to put on and take off, but they stay in place and are a connection to my family's past.

You should be able to get studs at a formalwear shop that are like mini cuff links, with a spring loaded bar in the back. They may not be as comfortable as push studs, but they stay in place.

Here is another alternative: sew buttons on a strip of ribbon and use them in place of studs.

One more story: about five years ago the Ballet Ball in St. Louis (I was there as a guest, not a performer) had a baseball theme and I bought a card of buttons that were embossed like baseballs at the local fabric store. I sewed a small button back to back with each of the baseball buttons and used them as studs. Everyone wanted to know were I got the baseball studs.

You can customize your studs to suit the event.

Ed
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello DJ:

I've used a couple of types of studs. One type has a thin bar that goes on the underside of the shirt - this type constantly came out of the button hole, so I took a playing card and made a little ring or washer with a hole in the middle. The washer was about the size of an English Penny. I put this on the stud (in the middle) and it prevented the bar from popping out through the hole.

The other type of stud, which I use now, just has a solid round piece that goes under the button hole. This works much better and never pops through the button hole.

I hope this has been clear to you - not sure if I explained it well.

ron
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sew the studs to the shirt or get stud-like buttons (with a shank rather than holes in the face) and sew them on.

That way, not only will you not have to worry about them coming off inappropriately, you also won't have to worry about remembering to pack them!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For the problem Ron was having with the "stick type" backs rather than the button type backs there is a cheap solution from the craft shops. They sell a nylon thing that looks like a washer. It is used for spacing problems with pierced earrings. They come in bags of about 50 for $2.

In an emergency, never under estimate the usefullness of a white wire twistum from a loaf of bread etc. White floral wire works too!

Scheme!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have several types of studs and never a problem except getting them put on. The secret. A heavily startched shirt. If you take your shirt to the laundry and have it professionally done for about $2, it will be so stiff that the buttons will not move.

Of course I love a well startched shirt. Make me feel ready for a professional show.

They also have these shirts in convertables. Buttons already sewn on along side the stud hole. So you could go ahead and sew buttons on your shirt or have a tailor do it. We can get formal shirt at discount stores for $12.50 around here so buying several is not a problem. Remember, waiters wear them as well so they can be cheaply aquired.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
I have had the problem with studs popping out only when using the cheap plastic studs that came with the shirt. I agrre with wmhegbli, have the shirt professionally laundered. I have bot several inexpensive stud sets at syms ( a local discount chain) over the years. I tend to buy sets that are very similar, if not identical. That way when one gets damaged or lost, I can use one from another set. This works well for cufflinks also. I can't tell you how many times a cufflink has broke right before I am ready to go on. Having spare is a must!
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Dress Studs for tuxedo shirt (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL