The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Digital Downloads (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I've sold digital downloads for years. Now I've decided to cut back on actual DVD sales at our theater and switch over to downloads only. I've had a noticeable number of people telling me they no longer have DVD players and/or their computer no longer come with players.

Any suggestions on packaging the download links for after show sales? I've tried a few different ideas already, from gift cards with the access code and link, to instructional booklets that contain the info.

What have you seen, or what works for you, that would be an effective way to market? My audiences need something in their hands when they make a purchase.

Thanks for any suggestions.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Were the DVDs still selling? Since DVDs are so cheap to make, I would try to sell a dvd with the digital download code inclided. That's what Disney does with their movies now.

If it's a show video, you could include it when you buy another item, like a poster. That would give that item more value. It could also help move items you want to get rid of, "but the download link for $10 or when you buy a t-shirt for $15, we"ll give you the download free."

Or give it free when you buy any 2 items.

If it's a a teaching video, include the download with a couple of props (Svengali deck or whatever).
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Say what you like, I like a DVD. Down loads should be offered for those who want them but it is mostly done for the cost savings to the seller.

Sites close, computers die.

Mary Mowder
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I stopped selling physical DVD'S years ago. It is not airways about cost savings to the seller, which is significant, but about convince for the user. Many have no way to play a DVD. The younger the person the more likely they do not have means to play them.

I stopped when a young person made a remark about selling VHS tapes. Looking out of touch to customers is not cool. At least to me I should say.

The world moves forward and to answer the OP often it takes little more than a business card with them having access. Those who deal in this are used to it and see value in it.

As an idea you can offer a DVD physically and make it more expensive so they see the savings. This alone shows value.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10607 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is an issue I have been dealing with myself for the last few years. Like Mary, I personally still prefer a physical DVD. From a sales point of view, it is a physical product, branded with my color cover front and back. Inside I have an inset with my catalog of personal merchandise, along with a custom printed and branded DVD itself. It looks and feels like something of value, something they physically take with them and a keepsake of their particular show for 30 bucks.

While I have never heard anyone say they no longer have a DVD player, I'm sure it happens. I also think much of it depends on who is doing the buying. Most of my purchases are made by parents (not the younger students) who seem to still see or think of DVDs as viable. They still see them at Walmart and Target, performers in Vegas and Branson and other tourist destinations still offer them, so it is not completely extinct in their minds.

Yet, I get the appeal and contemporary-ness of a more current format such as a provided link. While I have easily come up with ways to offer this, it just is missing the physical appeal of an impulse item, a "take it with you now in my hands" product of the DVD.

One option I will experiment on my next tour is providing the show on a USB stick. It will be a stick containing the digital file of the show, yet still offered in a DVD style case, with the insert, branding and such, just with a USB holder rather than a disc. It is actually the same size as the DVD case so my current inserts will still work fine.

I'm not sure this is my answer but seems to offer some advantages to both perspectives of being digital and more contemporary, yet still with the physical appeal and value of a DVD. I will see how it goes.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you are doing it because you prefer it then this may be a mistake.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10607 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is true. However, it's also about the perceived value of a physical item vs. A downloadable link. An important aspect of my model is most are sold in advance BEFORE the show, do the packaging and appearance value is more important at that point than the actual show which they haven't seen yet.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
One option I will experiment on my next tour is providing the show on a USB stick. It will be a stick containing the digital file of the show, yet still offered in a DVD style case, with the insert, branding and such, just with a USB holder rather than a disc. It is actually the same size as the DVD case so my current inserts will still work fine.

The problem with that idea is all new mac's only have USB-C, so that doesn't work for everyone either. (Most mac users for the time being will have a "USB dongle" but still, if being "new and relevant" is the goal, USB is also just about gone.)
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
If anyone knows how to sell merchandise it's Disney. When you go to Disney World, they have DVD's for sale in the gift shop. They do not have VHS tapes for sale.
Most of the Disney DVD's include a digital copy as well.

I agree with Mindpro, I think it needs to be a physical item to be an impulse item. In my opinion if you are just doing a link printed on a card, you should do that as a kicker for a combo (buy any 2 items and get the video free, etc.).
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Disney is a billion dollar company. It is not what most of us are. Yes they know how to sell THEIR stuff. They are excellent at it. This does not mean it translates automatically to what we are talking about. Not by a long shot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1340 Posts

Profile of imgic
The Flaming Lips released an album on a USB drive inside a life size gummy skull. You had to eat your way to the music...

http://entertainment.time.com/2011/10/24......-skulls/
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There was an announcement on the national news programs about a year or two ago. The last VHS video tape player manufacturer in the world stopped making VHS video tape recorders / players.

No one can even play a video tape any more.

I have to say, the manufacturer was not very good, he had brand names on the machines, but they did not last through playing more then 3 movies. Then they would break or eat the tapes. I bought 5 and all broke, I have a lot of VHS tapes still not converted, and no way to convert them now.

$70 magic video tapes lost to change in technology, so much money gone and nothing to show for it.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I have a few friends selling USB drives instead of DVDs
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Well I’ve had one month of digital sales and it’s been a huge success. It surprised me that most people preferred the digital versions.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2018, Christopher wrote:
Well I’ve had one month of digital sales and it’s been a huge success. It surprised me that most people preferred the digital versions.

I was nervous at first not giving them a physical product. It made NO difference. Nobody blinked at it ever. I love progress.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Do either of you have a special "at the show" price?
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottsdale, AZ
331 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2018, Christopher wrote:

Thanks for sharing that!

What did you end up using for packaging?
Mystery arts articles and thoughts: https://ExclusiveMagic.com
Free video crash course for numerology readings: https://LoShuNumerology.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2018, thomasR wrote:

The only place to get a video of the show is at the show so for me no.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2018, thomasR wrote:

The only place to get a video of the show is at the show so for me no.

Oh gotcha.. so you advertise that fact I'm sure. "You can't buy this online, it's only available here."

I was thinking one of the downsides of a download product is people can say "oh I'll just buy it later online if I want to" - less of an impulse buy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
For my specific situation, selling specific shows it is ALL an impulse buy.

Occasionally I'll get messages about older shows. I have them archived so it is possible, just not something I mention.

Now I should also say I'm not a huge fan of back of the room anyhow. I think too many rely on it as opposed to getting the right fee. In a way they have devalued themselves in my opinion.

There is indeed a happy medium to be reached like in all things. I do not want to derail this very good thread with a side topic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Digital Downloads (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL