The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Why did the coins go across? (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Curtis, I'm glad you said that the stories would have to be significantly distilled...I think I'd rather use no motivation than loooooonnnnnnggggg drawn out stories like that.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How is this for a clean cut premise...

Here is my earning hand.. picks up coins...
and here is my spending hand.

How I get money from one to the other is a trick my wife would also like to know.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Female/Male would lead beautifully for Gadabout coins....

I love the idea of Male/Female coins - lots of things even cars/boats etc are thought of as He or She... in the book men are from mars women from venus much time is spent showing the differences between males/females - but I can show you the real difference using just these three coins

Let me show you what I mean - here I have 2 male coins and one female coin - each time I spend a penny (pause) the male coins always need to come back, reproduce so to speak (pause) indeed women always seem to think male money grows on trees (pause) - done twice.

Now for the female coin - what can I say (beat) this works on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PRINCIPLE... well what did you expect ? (beat) faster than the blink of an eye all the money (male and female) jumps straight into a females pocket...

And the moral of the story... as far as the poor coins are concerned - they start out life as male or female but inevitably end their life most definately female... So I think of my money not as He/She, Female/Male but her money (beat) - Now there's true reproduction the one female coin just became three... (beat) and now I've got to search for two more male coins... look at the male and ask if he has any...
catch you later

Clarioneer
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Quote:
On 2004-05-13 15:38, Curtis Kam wrote:
Hey, that approach works for Bob Read.

Curtis, have you seen Bob Read perform? I've only read his article in Genii.

Makes me wish I could find out where he's performing some time and watch, he seems like he would be soo entertaining.

I loved the coins through the table idea his gave in Genii. the visual gag makes so much sense and would get lots of laughs.
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Nice ideas in this thread. I like the boy/girl or borrowed by another magician ideas Smile They'll probably find their way into my routines...

Another answer to 'Why did the coin go across?' Well you see, I wanted to vanish the coin, but it didn't want to be vanished. Let your imagination go wild why it didn't want to be vanished. E.g. you see - it's impossible to VANISH a coin as it's impossible to destroy matter. Either I have to kill the coin by finding a suitable anti-matter coin of the same denomination (which I didn't? or it didn't want to die?) or I have to teleport it to another place. Now last time I vanished it I accidentally teleported it to a smelly swamp in the amazonean jungle and the coin really didn't want to go there again so it ran away... etc ;-)
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2004-08-20 09:24, James Harrison wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-05-13 15:38, Curtis Kam wrote:
Hey, that approach works for Bob Read.

Curtis, have you seen Bob Read perform? I've only read his article in Genii.

Makes me wish I could find out where he's performing some time and watch, he seems like he would be soo entertaining.

I loved the coins through the table idea his gave in Genii. the visual gag makes so much sense and would get lots of laughs.

I've seen Bob work many times. In fact, at a New York Magic Symposium held in San Francisco in the early eighties I worked with Bob. I re-loaded him for his bottle production on a show, so that he could do an immediate repeat for the magicians, completely frying them! Bob's work is fabulous, his timing is impeccable, and of course, his accent lends a certain charm that us "colonials" just can't seem to resist...

Years of "pub work" has helped, of course, but Bob is a natural anyway. He's a funny guy, has good taste, and you can tell that he genuinely enjoys performing and being with people. If you have the chance be sure to see him!

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
Why can't the coins go across as a demonstration of sleight of hand?

The motivation...

Because you're a magician. A sleight of hand artist. You are doing what they expect you to do. Performing magic. Doing what seems impossible, right in front of them. Can this be entertaining? You bet.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

That would amount to an open demonstration of you being clever and doing invisible juggling, which is different than magic.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
"Why can't the coins go across as a demonstration of sleight of hand?"

To enhance and make it more memorable/entertaining it can also be used to take the heat off elements of the trick - you could say for example

Magicians just like Olympians train and practise to be the best. Some Magicians take this so seriously they don't stop until they can move faster than the blink of an eye... Take this for example - anyone can toss a coin from one hand to the other (do so) but hey - who does that impress... I have practised this so hard I can toss the coin across faster than you can blink... see if you can spot it going across but whatever you do DON'T BLINK... I'll count down from 1 to 3.... did you see it... okay I'll do it slower this time... try squinting this time it might help to see it fly across... On 3 I move one hand like a slight flick and turn up/open the receiving hand with the coin(s)...

It makes it more fun for the spec... as you have now made them part of the trick rather than you just having some fun... ? In tis example you have also given them a plausable method...
catch you later

Clarioneer
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
I can invisible juggle 7 balls all at the same time.

Some magicians are so afraid of being called "clever".
A magician once said to me "You remember what Vernon said about being clever" I replied "No I don't, but I'll bet it was clever..."

What it boils down to is that if they like you as a person, they'll like you as a magician. Yes, I have seen the common magician performing the look what I can do and you can't type of presentation. That should definitely be avoided. That is not what I am talking about. Magic and sleight of hand can be presented in a non-threatening entertaining style.

I can make the coins go across because I am a magician, and they love me for that.

Except now Jon hates me.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
I'm sure you know best Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Quote:
On 2004-08-20 13:44, Chevrie wrote:

Except now Jon hates me.

nevermind, I don't think he knows how to kill people with lightning bolts... YET
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

At one time, the coins went across cause they saw people do stuff like that on TV. They watched too much TV. One thought it was Houdini and could escape. Another thought it could dematerialize. Another got ideas from I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched and did something with its nose... and the last one became a Trekker and watched Star Trek Episodes, apparently dreaming of being captain kirk, but more likely one of those guys in the red shirts that they lose at the start of episodes... I'll need a volunteer for this.

I'm at work, and left the lightning wand at home today. I wonder if the new TCP/IP remote spellcaster is working?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Don't put on the red shirt.

Keep telling myself...

don't put on the shirt.

LOL.

The question might be why did the coins go

Star of David or....

perhaps I should have put this in the Gospel section or

Now that's Funny.

Humor and coin magic. Yes they can go well.

Be safe, creative and funny!

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Maybe, you need a presention the kids will like. Like your left hand is your girls and your right hand is a rival lady 'handler'. Then as a kicker the 3 coins appear back in your left hand and a big bullet hole appears through your right hand.

;)
Lee
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
Mike knew there did not have to be a reason for everything.

Don't for a second think that. Michael Skinner knew exactly what the reason was for every trick he did. And in most cases the reason was to share his love of magic with the guests who had come to Lilly Langtree's to have a good meal and a good time.

And to that end he did all manner of magic including silly little "rub a dub dub" patter with plastic cups and balls. And it worked for him because his love of magic was genuine and people felt it.

Every thing you do should have a reason even if you don't TELL them what it is. Motiviated magic is simply better than the "let me show you cool stuff that you won't be able to figure out" school of magic.

You don't have to motivate why the coins go across (for example) but you do have to motiviate WHY you are bothering to show them and WHY they should care.

In a booklet I once read the author stated that all magic should have a reason even if it's only "because it's cool to look at" provided that it really is cool to look at and provided that that's not the ONLY presentational scheme you use.

Jon is asking about possible themes OTHER THAN because it's cool to look at. A fine topic.

Here is one possible answer:
Greed

Now, the question is what does that mean to you and to your audience?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Greed? Hmmm, for Matrix, maybe a king stealing coins from three Jacks?
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Not from me Larry. I hate coin assemblies. Talk about "look what I can do" tricks.

Think "why should they care?"
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Bill,

Funny you should mention because I'm not a fan of Matrix as I've posted many times in other threads. And I've seens tons of versions.

The coins across effect I perform that gets the best reaction for me (besides coins to glass) is four coins across to spectator's hand, and the interesting thing is that I take an expository approach with that effect, unlike the approach I take with almost every other effect I perform. It's pretty much a "look what I can do" approach, which again, I generally despise, but I can only tell you that it absolutely kills. Why do spectators care for this particular effect? I'm not sure. Maybe it's because it appears to be impossible given how slowly and openly I perform it and given that the spectator's hand is involved. Maybe it's because I care about the effect and that feeling is contagious. Any thoughts?

Larry D.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Maybe, you could go along the lines of a pickpocket demostration. You bring out a coin purse and dump out its contents, 3 silver coins. You place them back in the purse and then place the purse under a spectator's hand. Using your pickpocket skills you remove the 3 coins from the bag and the spectator confirms that the coins are gone. You offer to show how you practice pickpocketing. The 3 coins go in the left hand and the purse is given to the spectator to keep because he/she was such a good help. You then cause the first coin, followed by the second coin to jump into your right hand. You then place the 2 coins in a spectator's hand and offer to do the ultimate test of pickpocketing skill; sneak a coin into the spectators hand without him/her knowing it. You then proceed to do that and as a kicker you sneak the coins back into the purse in the spectators pocket. I believe Kurtz had something smilar to this presention Smile.

Thanks,
Lee
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Why did the coins go across? (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL