The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Out of state calls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1155 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Just out of curiosity (not looking for advice), how often do you get contacted by people for gigs from out of state (way out of your travel area)? They find my website or a listing somewhere (I'm shown in a bunch of places online besides my site) and contact me for a birthday or whatever, not realizing I'm halfway across the country. I'm in PA, and this week alone I was contacted by someone from IL and someone from CO. It says where I am and what areas I go to right near the top of my site and other places - people just don't read carefully, and somehow I guess I end up on Google searches in other areas. Not a big deal though.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3084 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Start going to some of those places... providing they are willing to pay for your time, travel, food and lodging in addition to your performance fee. If the price seems high to them, suggest they team up with their neighbors or communities to rent a large hall to meet your price.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1155 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Jim,
I know some rich people hire magicians for very high rates, and sometimes pay for them to travel a long way by flight, but most likely the people who are calling are not in that category. I think it would be a waste of my time to try and get that kind of gig from the people who call me not realizing where I am. It would be less trouble for me to just stay here and do multiple gigs and make the same money. Marketing specifically to rich people to get high paying gigs (say $800 - $2500) may be a worthwhile thing, however. I read a badly written book for family magicians on that subject, though the book shall remain nameless. Off topic, but it's amazing how amateurish most marketing for magician books are (the ones I've read.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Dan -

Your location and service area seems to be very clear on your site.

If I had to recommend a tweak, you might try using a phrase like, "Serving Pennsylvania and Delaware areas only." Put the long form names of the states right by your phone number, and right on your contact form itself. You use the abbreviations for those states (PA and DE) throughout your site, but having the long form state names right by the contact info might help. (Also, if they have to read through a list of the counties you serve, I bet that many will gloss over that info when quickly reading. If necessary, put something like "Click here to see service area" with a link to that info elsewhere, if you want to fine tune where in those states you serve.)

You could even alter your submit form so they have to identify which of the 5 county areas they live in (drop down form, with only those 5 choices). Or have to tick which of the 2 states ("service area") they are interested in.

BTW, I noticed for service area map and description underneath your submit form, and that's easy not to notice because of it's location. It's easy for some casual readers to stop at the submit form itself (or when they find a phone number) and scroll no further.

A tip I read at one time was to design your website for two types of readers. Those who read everything, and those who skim (read quickly and only look at highlights). Some people who skim will go back and read everything, but still put some of the key info for skimmers to find.

- Donald

P.S. Also, beware that some contacting you via email might not be legitimate show inquiries, but rather "over payment" scammers. Those types of inquiries often come from out of state, and via email or text.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1155 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Thanks for the ideas Donald and Jim. Yeah, I know about those scams, I get those kind of often and I can spot those immediately, those aren't the out of state contacts I'm referring to. I do make them submit zip code when they use my contact form, and on my voicemail I also ask them to tell me their zip. I mostly just do gigs within 35 minutes from my home, though I'm more flexible on weekdays. It's not really a big issue for me, just mildly annoying, and was wondering how often that happens to others. I'm in Chester County, and it seems to be a common county name, I bet some are from Chester County in other states.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Out of state calls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL