The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Flight Of The Kings by Paul Gordon (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
So many downloads from Penguin lately, and they all look so good. I like Paul Gordon's effects. Hope this one is good too.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10771
MagicallyMe
View Profile
Veteran user
Manhattan Beach, CA
350 Posts

Profile of MagicallyMe
It’s great. Well taught and not hard to do
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4279 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
This is a great quick piece, 4 cards chosen turn out to be kings, placed back in different parts of the deck and they are gone from the deck and in 4 different pockets. Fairly simple and straight forward.

The way he teaches you need a jacket, though with a little amount of thought I've already adapted this to work in the pants pocket for casual performances.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2221 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I don’t own this but I have trouble believing specs would believe they chose four kings. Does it play well on the video?
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Is this in any of his releases (books/dvds)? Maybe under a different name?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3257 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2018, MagicBrent wrote:
I don’t own this but I have trouble believing specs would believe they chose four kings. Does it play well on the video?

I would have liked to have seen the selection process as then you could always present it at the beginning as what ever card you select I'll try and find it's mates followed by lets try and take this a step further and move on to the next phase so you actually get 2 effects for the price of 1 if that makes sense....perhaps someone who has this could explain how the cards are selected ?
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Taking a wild guess as I don't own it but based on Paul Gordons other works I'd say its a combo of vernon substitute transfer + his totally baffling card control routine (if you know this routine you should be able to work out how he produces them from his pocket)
EobardT
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of EobardT
Really enjoyed this effect, simple and workable good close up magic
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1106 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
I would say that this is the type of effect I like as it is intermediate level to do & the effect on an audience is bang, bang, wow.

Nice release from someone who is one of the nicest guys in magic.

Mike Donoghue
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
It's probably in one of his books under a different name. It's probably in other people's books too....
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1275 Posts

Profile of Jared
This is utterly fantastic! Paul has removed all of the knuckle-busting sequences from a similar effect he performed on his Penguin lecture and made this accessible to magicians of every skill level including beginners*. BTW- This is NOT available in any of his books because this handling is fairly new...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

*For beginners who cannot palm cards simply fast forward to near the end of the video where he demonstrates a satisfactory (non-palm) handling.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8254 Posts

Profile of pegasus
When I first saw this trick, I have to be honest. I was like, "meh."

I guess it's because, to me, the presentation seemed a little lackluster. I kinda assumed that all 4 cards were in his pocket the whole time. I think that, as a spectator, I might have came to the same conclusion... but I'm a tainted spectator (i.e. I'm familiar with magic now, so...), so it's really hard to know for sure what I would have thought. That said, the fact that this truly is a REAL card flight... well, when I realized that on watching the explanation, I was like, "Well ok then" and I sat up and paid more attention.

By the time Paul was done, I was impressed, as I always am with his tricks. He's a great teacher and, I'm not gonna lie, I wish I had his accent.

So, let's answer some important questions:
1. Is this for beginners? Yes and no. Yes, if you've been a beginner for a while (having practiced and performed at least some) and you're ready to go towards the deeper end of the pool. No, if you don't want to practice and practice first. You actually have to work to be good at stuff, ya know? Imagine that. Smile That said, with practice, this is doable.
2. Is there sleight of hand? Yes. A little. As Paul said, this isn't a knucklebuster. Of course, that's Paul saying that. A beginner would definitely disagree. But I do have to get on my soapbox and say, if you really want to be a good magician, you should willing to EMBRACE and MASTER knucklebusting sleight of hand, or at least some basics. Yes, it's frustrating (I'm not even there yet)... but practice makes better. Unless you just want to impress Grandma. Then, no, you don't need sleight of hand. Stick to self-working only if you're satisfied with mediocrity. (And before any self-worker lovers attack me, I agree that there are TONS of AWESOME self-working tricks! I love self-workers! I'm just saying that a real magician won't, in my humble opinion, avoid learning sleight of hand... that would be a disservice to his or her potential as a magician.)
3. Is this easy? Not to be redundant, but there will be practice for the beginner. For the experience beginner who knows some basic sleights and above, yes, this is easy. Just please practice.
4. Are there any cons on this trick? Yes. Again, I do feel like the presentation (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION) could be improved upon. I think that there is at least one point where time could be taken to sign one of the four kings. If that is done, then the fact that this is a true flight and that it is obvious would take the reveal to another level. I'm gonna try to incorporate having a card signed. Another thing is that, immediately after the explanation, the explanation is again showed from a different camera angle... which is a good thing, but it was weird how it was done... There was nothing that said "Explanation from a different angle." So I was confused at first. I was like, is this the same thing? I think it would have been good to use editing to combine the two views and felt is was kind of a lazy way to approach this, since, to benefit from both views, I literally have to watch or shuttle search the whole explanation again. That's really the only negative criticism I have. But I will say that I certainly DO appreciate the second camera angle. It was definitely valuable. I just wish it was all part of a single explanation edit.
5. Was it everything you dreamed of and more? It was BETTER than I expected. Again, I thought the trick was simpler (no real flight... just having cards in the pocket to begin with). Paul never disappoints with his teaching.
6. Will you perform this? Yes, with a signed card. I would like to see the reaction as he performs it and then try to incorporate the signed card. I'm guessing it'll make a huge difference. I'd probably favor the signed version, but I'll still try this as he performed it a coupl times to see how it goes. This would be a good opener. I don't feel it's the best closer... but as an opener, especially because of the setup, this would work. Restaurant workers will want a quick few seconds of privacy or a little boldness or sneakiness (if in public) to set up. Yes, it can be done for restaurants. You will need a table down, as is obvious from the presentation. I suppose you could do a strolling version, but there are better tricks for strolling.
7. Do you recommend it? Yes. I think this is a legitimate $9.99 trick, as it is priced.

So I give Paul a 3.75 stars. I was expecting to give a 3 star... but it really is a good trick, so I feel like it's about a four star. But I docked a quarter star just because of my impression I was left with that the cards were already in the pockets. Yes, he does use that assumption for the final kicker when he shows that the kings are not in the deck... but again, my feeling when I first saw it was that he simply dumped those kings somehow. I dunno... the more I think of it, the more I think I'll just give him four stars.

So scratch my original rating... a solid four stars for this trick! (I reserve fives for tricks that blow my mind, especially visually.)

(By the way, I always try to be honest and straightforward in my reviews, while being respectful to the magician. If you appreciate my reviews, can you please click the "Yes" button below beside the question, "Did this review help you?" It's not like I actually benefit in any way by your clicking it... but it would be nice to see if my reviews are helpful or not. I hope they are. If you ever have suggestions or comments or questions about my reviews, please feel free to leave me a constructive comment. I'm just trying to be helpful. I love the Penguin community and hope that I can someday contribute my own product. Smile Thanks for reading and for any (hopefully positive, but either way, at least kind) feedback!)
1 of 1 magicians found this helpful.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3257 Posts

Profile of warren
So for those that have it could they tell us more about the selection process of the kings or is it what Chamberlain suggested it might be, as this is a deciding factor for me......if only they showed a full performance in the trailer Smile
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1275 Posts

Profile of Jared
Warren,

You outjog one card as an example and then instruct the spectator to select three more. The procedure is very casual and fair. If you like the plot buy this. It's very clean and can be done on the spot without using special cards etc. or massive palming.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3257 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2018, Jared wrote:
Warren,

You outjog one card as an example and then instruct the spectator to select three more. The procedure is very casual and fair. If you like the plot buy this. It's very clean and can be done on the spot without using special cards etc. or massive palming.

Thanks Jared, I like the overall effect but was hoping for a different selection process for the presentation hook I would have used.

I already use John Carey's S.W.I interchange which is a 4 cards to pocket type transposition which can also be done on the spot with a borrowed deck using freely selected cards so I'll give it a miss on this occasion.

Thanks again for shedding some light on this for me it's much appreciated.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Oh, but it says in the trailer "Four cards are freely selected"... is this not true?

//Dan
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1824 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I kind of think this is the magic equivalent of lounge music - it's very good but the spectators are kind of passive. The spectators have to be cajoled into reacting at the revelation of 4 Kings because the display is really fishy and not at all how you'd display 4 freely chosen cards. I've used this display myself in the midst of a longer routine where it fits but for me the heat on it when you're about to reveal 4 chosen cards isn't right.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3139 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Truth is 3 cards are freely selected in this routine and are not switched - they are freely selected
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1275 Posts

Profile of Jared
Yes, only three cards are truly selected. But if you add a false shuffle and cut it should appear that you're just out jogging a random card under the guise of explaining what you want them to do. Honestly, the selection process of the cards is a non-event and does not impede the impact of the effect. This is a very nice routine...kudos to Paul Gordon.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3139 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Totally agreed. I was just clarifying for the post above who was asking. Recommended. A good effect.
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Flight Of The Kings by Paul Gordon (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL