The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Quick hitters no talk parlor/stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1035 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Have a stage show coming up but most likely will be a small intimate audience.

Looking to do 30-40 quick hitters to music. Any ideas and/or suggestions on which effects to preform would helpful.

Thanks...
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2757 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Get a pencil (with eraser) and a pad of paper. Write down all the "quick hitters" you know and have previously performed (and therefore have all the props and gimmicks ready for performing). Listen to the music you want to use for your performance. While listening, imagine which of your tricks you are performing at that point in the music. Write them down in order. Re-arrange them so you start with a flashy opener, and end with a spectacular applause getting finale. Reality check- get out the props and practice the entire show from beginning to end using the music chosen and the actual props in hand. Perform the show. Immediately afterwards, while it's still fresh in your mind, get out your notes and make changes, additions, or deletions for when you do the show the next time. Make sure there is a next time and keep performing the same show, making changes as necessary. Send me an e-mail thanking me for NOT giving you a list of tricks that would work for me but probably not for you. I triple dare you.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1035 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Thank you Jim for your thoughtful reply. Absolutely love the magic nook and have purchased from you before.

I was brief in my original post as I didn't want to get to long winded but yes I have already worked out part of the routine with some of the effects to a song I have chosen. Going to do 30-40 tricks in a four minute time span and was looking to add in or take away from what I already have and therefore the reason for asking in the first place. I have zero reservations others can chime in with something that I haven't thought of.

Thanks again Jim...

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2757 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It would be better for you to list the show you have already started to build - for example, there's no sense in my suggesting the linking rings if you already have it in place. It would also help to link to the song you are planning to use, or at least name it.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1035 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
You can do magic by America. Song is 3:55 seconds long so was considering doing as a theme 35 tricks in 3 minutes and 55 seconds.

I'll have an assistant that will have large cards and will turn over each one with each trick completed. I'll throw some gags in there and count them as tricks to keep things light as well.

Dresscode for the opener and Brad Manuel's cue card for the closer. In between I have planned...

Mospundsow by smokey mountain magic.

Third hand and pizza box gag segways into smokey moutain magics magic pizza box. A couple of quick back and forth's and then the disappearance. That would count as 2 tricks.

TT trick, quick rope trick, vanishing box from stratosphere, vanishing deck, Regals appearing deck, appearing cane, sword swallow, multiplying sponge bananas, vanishing coke bottle and a couple quick flashes of what's next without doing the reveal or an entire routine of it.

I also have a snake pringles can. On one side you can open it and eat pringles and on the other is the snake. Going to introduce it right away and eat a couple pirngles throughout the routine then spring the snake on them towards the end. Although on a stage it's not going to be a lot of people with most of them in almost a parlor situation. Directly after I spring the snake on them I have one of those deck of cards that is attached to a pull if you will. They won't be expecting me to throw those out at them right after.

I also considered doing a running gag with silks in a shirt pocket were you pull one out and another color pops out but then I spotted this post by yours while pursuing through the site

VVVVVVVV

Quote:
On Nov 23, 2008, Spellbinder wrote:
Making a production of silks, you suddenly pull out a sock. You lift up your pants legs, and sure enough, one sock is missing. You vanish the sock in your hand and it ends up back on your foot.

The production and disappearance is easy enough but I'm stumped on how to make the sock appear. Guessing it's a tube sock if you will on your calf and when you pull down the pants leg you pull the sock down as well. If correct it seems that it could be a little knacky because you would have to pull it down just right to position it so when you reveal it it looks as if it's on there properly.

Do I have all this correct? Then I got to thinking afterwards I can reach over to my other pant's leg to adjust the sock under it and it be a completely different color sock. That would count as a trick itself. Or, perhaps a half a trick and my assistant turns over a card with 21 1/2 or something of that sort.

Also looking for a quick...

jumbo coin trick
Jumbo card trick
And anything thing else that comes to mind...

jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2757 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
#1 - stop thinking that you have to do 35 tricks in 3 minutes and 55 seconds. The number of tricks is not important. Continuity and timing is all you should be thinking about at this stage.

Suggestion: make your own Pringle snake can. In one end have pringles, in the other have your silks and the sock. Eat a potato chip and then offer one to someone from the audience. When you offer the can to someone else, they get a silk. Then you keep getting silks until you come to the sock. While you are showing your foot sockless, switch cans. Put the sock back in the can, shake it up and out comes the snake - show the sock on your foot (you have the method backwards - PM me).

Most Jumbo Card tricks require talking - but in The Wizards' Journal #30, "Threesies" there is a Cat and Canary Jumbo Card Monte that could be done silently (to music). You don't have to use the Cat and Canary theme- print up any cards with your own designs. However, I think your 3:55 minutes will be used up by the time you get to it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Quick hitters no talk parlor/stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL