The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Opening Patter (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kellycards347
View Profile
New user
Canada
11 Posts

Profile of kellycards347
What's your opening line for you street magicians to reel in a suspicious spectator? I find a lot of people have excuses not to see a magic trick. Surely there must be some psychological opener that hooks them. I've tried "I'm a wandering magician and I was wandering if you would like to see a magic trick" - gets a laugh but leaves them an out to say no. Also starting with "You look smart!" to which they can't disagree, but then when I say "I'm going to show you something that blows your mind" it again leaves an out to where they can say no.

Wondering what you have tried on the streets that gets the most people to actually stop and watch your first trick.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
My answer . . . Don't.
Have no opening patter, no hook, don't try to get people to stop.
When I was doing parties regularly, I would stroll through a mall shuffling cards in my right hand. I would have business cards in my left pocket.
After you shuffle for a while, someone will ask if you know any tricks, then you say "I do - can you hole this" then hand them a business cards and fan the cards out for them to choose a card. Now they have a business card and you can start the effect.

What kind of places are you trying to work?
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
kellycards347
View Profile
New user
Canada
11 Posts

Profile of kellycards347
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2018, Dustin Baker wrote:
My answer . . . Don't.
Have no opening patter, no hook, don't try to get people to stop.
When I was doing parties regularly, I would stroll through a mall shuffling cards in my right hand. I would have business cards in my left pocket.
After you shuffle for a while, someone will ask if you know any tricks, then you say "I do - can you hole this" then hand them a business cards and fan the cards out for them to choose a card. Now they have a business card and you can start the effect.

What kind of places are you trying to work?

Cool Advice.

I was doing magic shows for a bit of cash at one point but lost the joy of it all. I love just walking around a University center or public places where people are enjoying their surroundings and just give them some free entertainment.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
If you are performing Magic with coins, in my experience, here is the perfect opening line:

Hi.......do you like money?

Try it........
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Opening Patter (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL