The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Best way to make remilled edges appear worn (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sOnrisemagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of sOnrisemagic
So the edges of one of my morgan gimmicked coins that was remilled are too perfect to match my regular morgan’s. what is the best way you’ve found to make remilled edges look worn to match the age/wear of the coins. I was planning on just putting a little bit of mud on the edges and wiping, but seeing if anyone else has other ideas. thanks
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2020 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Off the top of my head I can think of six different types of coin gimmicks that have one type of discrepancy or another when viewed edge-on.
That hasn't stopped anyone from making good use of them.

Don't run when you're not being chased.

If it bothers you that much... file down the remilled edges... a little at a time as you can always remove more, but can't put anything back.
Of course by the time you're done you may have a coin that looks the same as the others when viewed edge-on, but may look (and actually be) smaller than the others because so much has been removed from around its circumference.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I would agree with inigmn..... But I would suggest using fine sandpaper so you could do this gradually and slowly. It would end up where you wanted it. IMHO
sOnrisemagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of sOnrisemagic
Ok guys I appreciate the insight, thanks
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1823 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Emory board.
sOnrisemagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of sOnrisemagic
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2018, Ray Haining wrote:
Emory board.

good idea there to take down some of the milling, what about getting it that discolored/dirty look too?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Before condoning taking a file to silver...

Does the remilling help you? Is this about getting some darkening into the grooves?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
sOnrisemagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of sOnrisemagic
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Before condoning taking a file to silver...

Does the remilling help you? Is this about getting some darkening into the grooves?

The remilling is almost to perfect compared to my normal morgan’s, but I think if I can get darkening into the grooves I may not need to do anything to the milling. how would you recommend doing that? thanks for your help.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Conus
Carefully apply a thinned charcoal-colored paint and wipe it off. (You might want to use a matte-finish, but after a few handlings it shouldn't matter.)

Or, apply liquid shoe polish and wipe it off.
sOnrisemagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of sOnrisemagic
Thanks Conus, i’ll give that a go
Why.So.Serious?
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Why.So.Serious?
I would get a very fine sandpaper and gently rub against the edges. Don't do it too hard or spend too much time on one spot though. Then I would darken the grooves as well.
sOnrisemagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of sOnrisemagic
I’ll give it a shot, i’m a little leary about the sandpaper on a morgan silver shell. Not that I think it’s a bad idea, i’m just scared lol. but I think the darkening is what I need most
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1301 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
You can also use Liver of Sulfur to darken the edges and age the coin to the tone you want. Then it would match all your coins.
sOnrisemagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of sOnrisemagic
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2018, Mobius303 wrote:
You can also use Liver of Sulfur to darken the edges and age the coin to the tone you want. Then it would match all your coins.

cool I will research that, Do you have any resources describing the process of that, particularly just for the edges, the faces already match up good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Best way to make remilled edges appear worn (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL