The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Possibly the best 'any card at any number' ever? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jamesrock
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jamesrock
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2018, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2018, jamesrock wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Since you have to stack the deck any way, this is completely unnecessary because one can do ACAAN solo with a known stack of their choice which also has the additional benefit of being able to do other things using that stack (such as using the Aronson stack or Mnemonica for example, where you have built in effects those stacks can be used for). You wouldn't need a confederate. You can control the deck yourself as needed. Asi has a great method for ACAAN that doesn't need a confederate.

sure. ok. but the 'app' generates a stack for you and saves it to your device - you can make the stack up once and use it time and again.

even with a memorised stack, mentally calculating the correct card to cut-to is surely quite a lot of effort?! it's easy enough to write in code, but to mentally figure-out where their chosen card is in relation to the target position can't be easy?! surely that's why two other people have taken a similar approach?

It's pretty easy actually. LoL. Asi explains the math involved and it's really not that difficult. Using your own stack also means that your deck is set up for other effects that can be done with the stack. For example, there are several poker effects which can be done with the Aronson stack. With a randomly generated stack, it actually has essentially little to no value.

Now, if I recall correctly, Marc (wiki book test creator, forgot his last name) has a nice app that can know a spread and I think that idea with a modification can be used for what you are suggesting with yours and it requires no stacks. That actually has utility since it will know a completely random spread. I don't think it can currently do what your app does though but if you think about it, your app would really only be practical and useful IF it had the ability to know a random spread.

Ok, now somebody go and make the app I've just described please. It would actually be kind of amazing (ACAAN with a truly borrowed and shuffled by the spectator to their heart's content, holy grail right there).

its marc kerstein - creator of earworm and several others.

i think your suggestion is impractical, and over complicates an otherwise simple method.

the whole point in it generating a deck for you is simplicity - it's easy enough to make a stack up (5 mins) than it would be to manually input a stack...

use it or ignore it - it is free after all. if you prefer another method then use that instead... each to their own.

Who said anything about having to manually enter a stack? I referenced Marc's app for a reason... duh. Your application is halfway there, it's missing the half that Marc's app has which would make your idea a practical and very useful idea. Think about what I am describing to you here...

my idea is very practical... again, the accompanying pdf explains it all.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:

It's not. I read the instructions for you app. The idea is good but it's missing the part I pointed out that would make it practical.

When you have a stack, it is not practical if the only thing that stack is good for is to do ACAAN. That is NOT practical at all because you are being forced to maintain a stack for no other reason than that one trick. ACAAN is also a very strong trick and is a bit of a waste used as an opener so it is likely to be used in the middle or even as a closer to a set. Since this is likely the case, you are now forced to maintain the stack and handle the deck a particular way for no other reason other than to just do that one ACAAN. Your app uses a random stack and it doesn't matter if it generates a random one for each user that they can keep using, that stack has no inherent uses other than for the ACAAN so it's not a good and practical stack. Mnemonica is a good and practical stack because the stack can be used for various effects which are built into the stack. Same goes for the Aronson stack. Same goes for Juan's newer stack on his Magic from My Heart video set. Same goes for Redford's stack. Same goes for Aragon's stack. Same goes for virtually any other of the various stacks that are out there. All other stacks have utility because they have things built into the stack that the stack can be used for. Your stack does nothing other than the one ACAAN you are suggesting. All the other stacks I have mentioned can be used for ACAAN. Why the hell would anybody want to use your randomly generate stack when they are far better off using any of the other stacks I have mentioned for which they have various effects that are built into each respective stack I've mentioned? Why?

So how is your app, as it is, practical or even nearing parity with one using any of the other stacks I've mentioned? Since your app uses a randomly generated stack, then in reality the app is not stack dependent so for your app to actually be of use, it needs a method for which it can read a random spread and when I say this, I do not mean that it needs a input method for which someone sits there coding in the spread manually, no, I'm talking about using technology for which it can read the spread instantly via a visual input if you get what I mean.
jamesrock
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jamesrock
Quote:
Quote:

It's not. I read the instructions for you app. The idea is good but it's missing the part I pointed out that would make it practical.

When you have a stack, it is not practical if the only thing that stack is good for is to do ACAAN. That is NOT practical at all because you are being forced to maintain a stack for no other reason than that one trick. ACAAN is also a very strong trick and is a bit of a waste used as an opener so it is likely to be used in the middle or even as a closer to a set. Since this is likely the case, you are now forced to maintain the stack and handle the deck a particular way for no other reason other than to just do that one ACAAN. Your app uses a random stack and it doesn't matter if it generates a random one for each user that they can keep using, that stack has no inherent uses other than for the ACAAN so it's not a good and practical stack. Mnemonica is a good and practical stack because the stack can be used for various effects which are built into the stack. Same goes for the Aronson stack. Same goes for Juan's newer stack on his Magic from My Heart video set. Same goes for Redford's stack. Same goes for Aragon's stack. Same goes for virtually any other of the various stacks that are out there. All other stacks have utility because they have things built into the stack that the stack can be used for. Your stack does nothing other than the one ACAAN you are suggesting. All the other stacks I have mentioned can be used for ACAAN. Why the hell would anybody want to use your randomly generate stack when they are far better off using any of the other stacks I have mentioned for which they have various effects that are built into each respective stack I've mentioned? Why?

So how is your app, as it is, practical or even nearing parity with one using any of the other stacks I've mentioned? Since your app uses a randomly generated stack, then in reality the app is not stack dependent so for your app to actually be of use, it needs a method for which it can read a random spread and when I say this, I do not mean that it needs a input method for which someone sits there coding in the spread manually, no, I'm talking about using technology for which it can read the spread instantly via a visual input if you get what I mean.

i'm many steps ahead of you on this... trust me... I do see what you're saying, but what's the harm in just keeping a deck of cards in a stack for this trick? it's a far more practical method than most, and one of very few to meet the same set of criteria. scanning a deck is more impractical than this. it just is, in so many ways.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2018, tomd wrote:
Appreciate the link, but like kissdadookie said above.. this is a bit redundant.

I don't want to come across as mean, but just spend a couple of weeks working on Asi Winds version and you have the same thing without any restriction. This variation demands that I create the stack before performance, have an assistant secretly show you where you need to cut, and then find the card to cut to it manually (without knowing where it is because I haven't memorised the stack). It's free, sure, but also highly impractical.

Just learn a stack, and pay $12 (or so) for Asi's method.

I think you're missing the point... but ok. Each to their own.

I don't think I've missed the point. You're offering a free service that allows you to put a request card at a requested number, with no memorisation needed making the process seemingly easy. What have I missed?

My point was that this is a bit impractical, but a very kind gesture. Needing an assistant is one thing (and having a way for you to see the result without it being obvious), but having to find the needed card without them noticing is a big flaw with this. By not knowing where that card is, you will obviously telegraph a movement of cards or packets, or worse yet advertise looking through the deck to find it. This isn't deceptive, you're giving away how you got to the ending by doing this. Are there deceptive ways round this? Yep, but it will take a lot of practice to get this down, and you'd be better off learning a stack and understanding the maths yourself, that wouldn't take much longer at all.

Why don't you add the number location of the card you need to cut to the face? That way people who use this website in performance can ball park where is at, saving them having to search around aimlessly for the card.

You could also offer stack support for well known stacks (like Mnemonica or Aronson), so that you would get traffic to your site for more than just use in performance. That would be a great way to practice and test to see if you were right (when learning the maths in your head). Another addition is have a random number and card generator. I'd use this website a lot if these features were added. The site could give me a card, and a number, I try and get the card I need in my head within a few seconds, and the site can tell me if I got it right after.

I realise only one of these suggestions actually help your original idea for this site, and I'd say it's the only one I really suggest adding. The other suggestions are things I've dreamed of for practice, no one offers this as far as I'm aware, so you'd get A LOT of traffic. Asi's ACAAN is hard to practice, because you need to generate genuinely random choices to replicate all options in the real world. Right now I have 3 websites open at the same time to test myself.

FYI, The maths is surprisingly easy to grasp in your head, as long as you have a stack memorised. Using maybe two or three different memory techniques together, you have a stack memorised cold in less than a week easily. You can grasp the maths 10 mins later with good teaching . Sure, hard to master under intense pressure, but not much more work than trying to locate a card you don't know the whereabouts of without anyone noticing.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i'm many steps ahead of you on this... trust me... I do see what you're saying, but what's the harm in just keeping a deck of cards in a stack for this trick? it's a far more practical method than most, and one of very few to meet the same set of criteria. scanning a deck is more impractical than this. it just is, in so many ways.

It most certainly isn't more practical than most methods in its current state. If you need keep a deck for this trick, you might as well carry a gimmicked deck for ACAAN, which would be easier and no need for an assistant. Most gimmick decks have a comprimise, but nothing as big as "you cannot perform this unless you have another dude helping you".
Asi's method is infinitely more practical than this, his method IS what your site is offering without any Restrictions (no assistant, you seemingly never touch the cards, it's in a stack you have memorised to use for countless other tricks), and there are other ACAAN releases that are similar in method (but different in excecution) that are also way more practical.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Very well stated, tomd!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
jamesrock
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jamesrock
Tomd - yes, I had considered including the number too. Good suggestion! My thinking was that it's easier to fan and casually locate by the cover of a ruse than it would be to count. With carefully considered handling I genuinely believe this would pass unoticed.
jamesrock
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jamesrock
Tomd - personally (and not just because I created it!) I prefer the simplicity of my method to the idea of memorising a deck. The concept of a memorised stack is nothing new to me, I just don't really like it. That's perhaps because I'm not really a lover of card tricks - I love cards themselves, but card based tricks are usually rather cliche and drab. This idea didn't come to me from playing with around with cards and stacks - the concept of cutting one card to face from a stack was very appealing (and not something I had come across before, as I never buy tricks).
jamesrock
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jamesrock
And anyway - this has just become a typical example of 'who knows what' with folks wanting to flaunt their knowledge of magic releases...

The concept is good. It is not impractical. If you don't like it and prefer another method then simply use that instead. If you're a hardened card magician whose put a tonne of effort into memorising a stack, this isn't going to appeal. I get that.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
This reminds me of some young guys in the shop the other day. Was wondering about "Mnemonica" (no doubt because Chris Ramsay has mentioned it), they thought it was only used to Acaan Smile

Jamesrock, I agree with many of the posters above, and whilst I personally don't see the need for the app, at least to make it a bit more useful there should be an option for various popular stacks. So for those people who have put in the work to memorise them, and keeping them in that stack, they can also utilise your method. Rather than having to put it into another stack. Nice of you to share this in any case.

Also, memorising a deck is a lot easier than people think. A couple of days or so... a lot less time than I've spent practising the pass Smile

All the best,
Daniel
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Thx for sharing it. Enough already said in 2 pages representing a few trains of thought - I like it and will see what works and what doesn’t. It’s funny as I read an effect in print by John Carey- good? Yes but I did not see myself even trying it - at that moment anyway. I saw it done live and immediately knew it was awesome. Funny how things work like that sometimes.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Your enthusiasm and willingness to share are admirable.

But we've just experienced a period of 15+ years where lots of really smart people have thought really long and hard about ACAAN.

If you survey the literature (hey, here are 117 versions to get you started: https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/category/712 ), you may come to understand why your requirements of a full deck stack AND a confederate AND a handheld computer seem pretty cumbersome.

Most magicians stop thinking too soon. Keep thinking!
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I wonder if ACAAN s all that good a trick anyway. I think it's hard to make it "magical". People often react like the guy in Greg Rostami's video: sort of "oh fancy that," rather than "WOW!". Perhaps because a card being at that number is highly improbable, but it's not actually impossible. I think we like ACAAN tricks more than the spectators!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
jamesrock
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jamesrock
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2018, Ross W wrote:
I wonder if ACAAN s all that good a trick anyway. I think it's hard to make it "magical". People often react like the guy in Greg Rostami's video: sort of "oh fancy that," rather than "WOW!". Perhaps because a card being at that number is highly improbable, but it's not actually impossible. I think we like ACAAN tricks more than the spectators!

I couldn't agree more in most cases. Although possibly the same can be said for lots of other magic tricks. How much weight a trick such as this carries depends entirely on how well it's delivered (just like a joke by a comedian). Derren Brown's spot on Stand Up To Cancer 2014 is a fairly sound example of ACAAN made into a minor miracle. Typically the concept is hugely undersold by a lack of decent narrative.
RCarruth
View Profile
Veteran user
Spartanburg, S.C.
341 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Jamesrock.. simply ask the spectator to name a card and a number. Once done.. spread the deck face up, ask the spectator if they see their card and if they see any duplicates. With the deck face up, cut and pick up the deck at the key card. Not perfect.. but with enough conversation they will forget you cut the deck. Another method.. spread the deck face up. Turn your back. Ask the spectator to think of one of the cards. Ask the spectator to name a number. Enter the info in to YOUR phone while your back is turned. Turn around and split the deck at the key card and proceed as with my first example.. Again, not perfect.. but workable. Thanks for sharing...
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
jamesrock
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jamesrock
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2018, RCarruth wrote:
Jamesrock.. simply ask the spectator to name a card and a number. Once done.. spread the deck face up, ask the spectator if they see their card and if they see any duplicates. With the deck face up, cut and pick up the deck at the key card. Not perfect.. but with enough conversation they will forget you cut the deck. Another method.. spread the deck face up. Turn your back. Ask the spectator to think of one of the cards. Ask the spectator to name a number. Enter the info in to YOUR phone while your back is turned. Turn around and split the deck at the key card and proceed as with my first example.. Again, not perfect.. but workable. Thanks for sharing...

Smart stuff!! Send an email to hello@jamesrock.me and I'll send you the accompanying pdf x
jamesrock
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jamesrock
Now the accompanying pdf contains a new routine of 'any card at any number from any deck' - and no, it's not just the same stack duplicated. Done with 52 unique stacks, it might just be enough to fool Penn & Teller!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2018, Ross W wrote:

Completely depends on how you frame it. Peter Turner's idea for making what's not actually all that impossible based on probability much larger and impossible through scripting really works well for something like ACAAN. There's also Asi's AWACAAN which if you've seen him perform it, it absolutely kills. Imo, I think ACAAN what is weak in many cases is how it is presented. There is a tendency to not dress it up in the presentation because the performer understands how a clean and very pure ACAAN is a holy grail effect for magicians and there's possibly an subconscious decision they make to let the effect speak for itself because conceptually and methodologically they know it's super strong. Just my two cents on the matter.
jamesrock
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jamesrock
So this thread has now had 2,498 views and only 43 replies - I wonder what the people who chose not to wade and comment actually think to this. Still no one has purchased the accompanying pdf. I might make it a free downloadable. Having said that, it's only £3 - I'm sure everyone here has spent more than that on a disappointing packet trick!

http://acaan.co
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Im not sure if you're expecting everyone who views the thread to reply as well Smile

And you were also very dismissive of the people that offered their thoughts. So maybe that hasnt encouraged others to say what they are thinking.

All the best,
Dan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Possibly the best 'any card at any number' ever? (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL