The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Structuring a Hypnosis Show for Newbies (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Hi all,

I am a mentalist (former magician) of nearly a decade.

I've been studying hypnosis for the past 3 months or so. I've spoken with a couple of professional hypnotists, read most of McGill's New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism at least once (while rereading various portions after watching recordings of hypnosis shows), and have successfully performed a few demonstrations of waking hypnosis and hypnotic tests (magnetic fingers has been a favorite).
I recently completed a successful induction on a volunteer, and tried a short set of suggestions that worked very well (metal bar in arm, telling somebody to "please be quiet" when they sneeze instead of saying "bless you", feeling extremely relaxed).

I would like to design a stage hypnosis show and would appreciate some input from some of the seasoned pros on this forum.
Do you have any advice on how to structure one's show?
Do you have any advice on designing original routines? My understanding is that as long as the suggestions are clear and within reason, basically anything is possible.
How can I know if I am on the right track to develop my hypnosis skills?

Thanks in advance guys. I'd love to be able to do this art form justice.

Best,
Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You are definitely on the right track.

A few questions just for clarity if you don't mind?

How long a show do you want to design? Do you want to do serious demonstrations or more lean to comedy?

What venue are you looking to work in once you have your show?

NONE of this is bad questions, or accusatory just want to get a feel for your goals is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Hi Danny,

To answer your questions:

I'm hoping to build an hour long show.

I'd like to lean more towards comedy, because it plays better with my character.
I'd like to build up to demonstrations where I can leave room for my volunteers to give hilarious answers to questions (cop pulling you over, ridiculous game show, something in that direction).

I am looking to perform this show in college venues and corporate after-dinner venues.

I feel like this might require two slightly different shows, as the crowds I'd be playing generally have different senses of humor.

Of course none of that seems accusatory. It makes sense that those are important background questions. Hope that clarified things sufficiently!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hour long is tough. As a magician you think about that being perfect time. As a hypnotist you worry is it enough?

Where are you living?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Fair enough. I can definitely imagine an hour being a bit tight.

I'm currently living in Bismarck, North Dakota. In a few months I anticipate living near Boston.
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
I'm not dead set on a specific length of time for the show. I already have a strong mindreading show that can be adjusted to any length. But I would like to be able to offer the option of having a hypnosis show as well. I also recall Chris Carter telling me that you can get away with a longer hypnosis show because it's less likely that the audience will get bored after an hour.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Terry Stokes has started to teach. He is in Florida, but has an internet program. I would recommend contacting him. You simply will not find better information.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Sounds good. I'll be sure to look him up. Thanks!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
There is so much that could be said here on this topic, but I will offer you some advice you likely will not find in many books, DVDs or trainings. First, let me say a decent stage hypnosis show is the combining of two individual and separate elements, each which need their own amount of work, effort, planning, rehearsal and revisions before being performance ready - 1. is the proper understanding and implementation of hypnosis itself, then hypnosis for the desired performance type of performance, and 2. the proper understanding and adaption of yourself and your content as an entertainer. A good stage performance is combining an already polished and rehearsed entertainer, with the polished and rehearsed performance hypnosis and all this covers/includes.

However, the one thing that can be even more important and significant to whether you have a successful stage hypnosis performance or one that blows up and fails miserably is - performance dynamics.

Performance dynamics of the event and performance can often be the single most specific element that can be the difference between a fun, great successful show and one of the worst you can imagine. This matters to stage hypnosis more than any other type of live entertainer/entertainment.

Together these 3 elements are what I would put 90% of my efforts into more than anything else.

You must also ask some important foundational questions which will likely determine your ultimate success. Where is the entertainment coming from - you the entertainer, or the hypnosis itself? Knowing this and other foundational element answers will create your approach and position right out of the gate even before your first performance. I can often tell before a hypnotist ever takes the stage or is performance-ready how they will be likely to succeed, struggle or fail from just this alone.

It is all about knowing what matters most, deserves your attention and will create your best chances for success. Unfortunately 99% of newbie focus on the wrong thing (and I've been coaching, teaching and training stage hypnosis for 30 years). I certainly wouldn't be worried about creating original routines (even though that is what Terry will likely tell you) as it initially will not make a difference at all - literally. Yes, there is a time where that may be a more prominent issue or concern, but not initially in the beginning.

There is one other major bit of advice I will share with you later after seeing a bit more how this plays out (another important foundational element any performer should know when first starting out) that could also be the difference between success and never getting out of the starting gate or shaving 5-10 years off your learning curve.
ThomasIndigo
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of ThomasIndigo
Thanks MindPro,

You've given me a lot to think about.
When you refer to performance dynamic, are you referring to the actual logistics of the performance (lighting, audience, seating, etc)?

I'm certainly not hung up on creating original "routines" as there is already so much amazing material out there. That was just a point of curiosity for me.

Shall I report back after I give my initial show a try with a focus group?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't think trying to shave years off a learning curve is a good thing. For the past decade or more guys have claimed this was what was happening with the Internet and the proliferation of information. I think mystery entertainment has suffered because of it.

The learning curve has to do with experience levels. They are usually a direct correlation. Those years are necessary to develop. Take them out and the end result suffers. You have to let dough rise to get proper bread. Can you do it only letting it rise once? Sure. But the product suffers.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Hi Thomas. You've found some great resources here with Danny and Mindpro.
I would also recommend checking out Anthony Jaquins material/approach, if you haven't already.
God luck, keep us posted Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Thomas,what you find in many books, DVDs or trainings are the truths, learned through years of practice by true professionals. Often on boards like these, what you get is nonsense, passing itself off as gospel. Beware ANYONE turning you from the education provided through those materials as they are distracting you from the truth. The snippets of so called wisdom you will find in a thread on any board, can't compare to books, DVDs or trainings. Disregard the online experts who are legends in there own minds and have diluted themselves into believing their own BS.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Since you're declaring what the others are saying is BS -

How many professional hypnosis shows have you done, Senor Fabuloso?
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

To many to count. It was how I made my living, at one time.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Please post one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Nope.

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
How did you promote your shows Senor?
I have never been to Spain and just wondering if things are different in your home country than here in the US.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

I was working the university circuit, so communicating with student government was my main avenue.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Disregard the online experts who are legends in there own minds and have diluted themselves into believing their own BS.

Some great advice here.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Structuring a Hypnosis Show for Newbies (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL