We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Cut microphone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I am working on adding a cut and restored microphone cable to my opening set as it revolves around me setting up and getting ready for the show. This includes a long microphone setup, production, and zombie routine all with the mic.

Does anyone know of any resources for a cut and restored routine using the mic cable? Malfunctions are a staple of my standup act, and I think this would be a great addition.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22515 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
A California magician does this. It goes over very well. Just us the loop method for the C & R rope trick. Pull will work. Also use one of the spark wheels on the market for when you cut the cord sparks fly.

Don't forget to mouth like you are talking so when you cut the cable and come back on after you restore. Instead of using a real cable us the rubber hose from an auto repair supply store. It will be easier to cut.

The pull can have an alligator clip from radio shake or a covered wire clip from the auto store.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5344 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Klamm sells a cut and restored electric cord that can easily pass for a mike cord. I’ve seen this done at a couple small conventions over the past pew years. Still it is a good idea and gets a good laugh and good reaction when the cord is restored.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22515 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Harry,

I did a search on Klamm site, during my post. It is not on there any longer. He has a lightbulb cord trick now. I don't think it is the same one he use to advertise in the magazines.

Maybe if Christopher emails him he can get details?
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Thank you for the advice. I have a few great sparkers that I use in my other mic bits and planned to use one here. In addition, my soundman always works my volume for the zombie mic, etc. so I think that will work great here too.

I'm not quite clear on the pull method you are talking about. Of course I understand the CR method, is the pull just being used to get rid of the extra loop then?

Thank you
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22515 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes that is correct. Just a simple sleeve pull. Being in front of the mike give enough cover to obtain the loop that is only 2" from the end of the sleeve.

So obtain the loop, then take the mike cord, pull the loop up in the cord (?) and cut (?) the cord (sparks fly). At that point they cannot hear you. This usually gets a laugh. Restore the cord with sparks again or just show the cord restored. The loop is long gone.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Thanks for the information. I'm going to give that a try.
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
If you are working with a mike that is on a stand, you can use that for some cover. You can start with the loop around the cord but lying on the floor. Makes it easier.

Also, think Topit!
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
If you are using a mike stand stash your gimmick down the stand, it can be retrieved as you move the stand.

Toppit the used gimmick to finish.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6749 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Paula,

I LIKE the Topit idea! You could do a C&R Jack Miller-style in SHORT SLEEVES! Just "Topit" the loop! Brilliant! The move is almost the same...I'm right-handed, so the Topit would be on the left side. I'll get out my vest and try it...wow. This will take some practice...

Almost forgot about my mini-Topit...thanks!

Gratefully,
Doug
cat26
View Profile
New user
Manitoba, Canada
99 Posts

Profile of cat26
You can also use a piece of licorice for the loop. It is easy to cut and if you're up to it, you can eat the licorice cord and then restore. Cheers...
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
I do like the licorice idea. Perhaps not eating it, but for the ease of cutting it. You'd need one heck of a pair of scissors to try and cut genuine wire.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I have always used the round, tubular black rubber bands sold for a vacuum cleaner belt. The right ones look just like mic cable, and cut easily, and are already in a loop. I used an elastic pull from my back under my jacket, and tied with cat gut to the scissors. When I pulled the scissors out with my right hand, the loop was pulled into my left. To restore, I just let go of the cable and the pull at the same time, and the pieces seemed to melt together, as both hands are shown empty.

By the way, as with all my cut rope routines, I recommend tin snips instead of scissors for the most efficient job, and their rounded ends which make them easy to stick in your pockets without cutting or tearing.
dogwood86
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of dogwood86
Is Gaetan Bloom's routine for this in print? Doubt it, but if it is...

Nathan
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22515 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Whit,

That is a fantastic handling. I wish all could appreciate your generous giving of this super handling. It is what set the professional from the amature. That solves all the problems someone would have to present the effect.

WOW!!! Thanks!
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
You're welcome. Hope it helps.

By the way, the thin catgut is tied to the scissors, but simply looped around the vacuum cleaner belt. When the belt loop is cut, the catgut slips off and hangs unnoticed from the scissors.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13383 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What is the reason for cutting the mic cord? Are you trying to cut something else and miss?

I like the sparks bit and Whit's ideas are quite good.

I don't even know how I got to this thread but I'm going to have to try this. Smile

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think cutting the mike wire would work best with a two person act... your partner is blabbing away, you look disgusted and cut the wire. Partner grabs the wires, gets a shock (here is where "makin' sparks" would work) restores cable.

Finn Jon used to do a great floating mike.

I have a vanishing mike stand somewhere in one of my garage boxes... gotta dig it out.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I had the mike continue to squeal with feedback, until I got mad and cut and restored the cord. Then the feedback stopped. "Had to let some of the feedback out of the cord..." When I put the scissors away, I stole a funkin ring, made some sparks, and showed the cord restored.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi Licorice,

Bite the mike cord, eat the evidence and then do the restore. No pulls—no toppit—no problem.

Licorice gives you a good run for your money. ;^)

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Cut microphone (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL