The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Help needed (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Don’t know if this is the right place for this or not. I’m looking for some info on a mask act similar to McBrides. I attend a yearly Tiki party and after the party this year, the hosts and I were talking, and he asked me to do a Tiki inspired trick next year. I was thinking of using Tiki masks for a mask act. I’m looking for info on where to read about this. PM me. Thanks in advance.
Lou
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Leo H
If you do an act with masks, people are going to compare you to Jeff McBride. Put the masks away and find something unique that fits you. Mr. Electric/Marvin Roy did an act with just light bulbs. That man was creative and is still performing magic.

If you can't come up with something unique, performing the classics in your own style works well too.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21684 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ldl1017, I will make it simple, you can't read about mask manipulation, as it is a Chinese act from a thousand years ago. I suggest you search the Café for your answers, it has all been discussed previously. There is even a DVD available from China. This is not a magic dVd, but a traditional way they were used. It is your job to turn it into magic.

Even with the information and costumes, you will require over a year of work to design a routine. If you can hire a stage manipulator in magic, he may be able to advise you with such things as misdirection and steals, using various methods.

Also, if you or your client is an expert masks craftsman, have him or yourself, start making the masks. Be sure to check if any particular kind of mask design would be an insult to the audience.

Advise, why did you reference this post as "Help Needed". Now, no one that wants to help will never find this in the search engine.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5273 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
A source fo the history and purchace of the Tiki masks can be seen here:
https://www.tikishackimporter.com/tiki-mask-history.html

Tiki masks are pretty heavy (unless you make a series out of lightweight paper mache). I'd say that a start point is to outline the effects you want to create then think about the props that might be used to accomplish the effects.

You might want to remember that Jeff McBride studied dance, martial arts, and Kubiki theater as much as magic to develop his mask act.

You might want to use the Tiki decor/look for present magic effects. Rather than Multiplying Candles, cigars, or whatever you might think about multiplying torches, for example. Instead of a Broom Suspension you could perform a Spear (even fishing spear) suspension. A couple of smaller Tiki masks could be used as production devices (think Rice's Haunted Chimney). I could go on an on thinking about how to retime magic effects and props to meet a Tiki theme.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1766 Posts

Profile of Anatole
There are Tiki Party Supplies that could be used for a Tiki Party Magic performance--such as:
1) Tiki Napkins
https://www.amazon.com/Amscan-Sun-Sation......+napkins
that you could use for "Torn and Restored Napkin" or Slydini's "Paper Balls over the Head"

2) Tiki Party Clip Art that could be used for making everything from jumbo card packet tricks to a Tiki Magic Coloring Book
https://www.etsy.com/listing/399060751/h......lery-1-7

3) a "Tiki Cocktails: 200 Super Summery Drinks" 264 page book that can be used for a book test
https://www.amazon.com/Tiki-Cocktails-Su......il+books

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
776 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Aug 30, 2018, Leo H wrote:
If you do an act with masks, people are going to compare you to Jeff McBride.

Ah, but you see, Shimada was known for it before Jeff McBride. Now Jeff is known for it. Doesn't mean someone else can't use masks, so long as it's something original. Just don't imitate Jeff.

And the OP can write to Jeff, as he has lots of resources and I'm sure could solve the problem immediately.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3642 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
A Million Flowers type garland production might be good. I 've made such a garland using a two liter cola bottle for the spring steel part. Just regular Spring Flower production would evoke the islands. A production of tropical fruit might be good.

Just keep it to one trick of this sort. If you do two then it seems like the whole show should be "on theme".

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Help needed (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL