The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peek Cases (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Since there has been some discussion on peek cases, I was wondering what the ’mentalist’ customers at the cafe were using and why?

I now use Strivings Sight Unseen Case (Deluxe).

It holds business cards, plus I can hand the case to the audience assistant to use as backing for the card they are to write on. They will not see or feel anything out of the ordinary.

Also, they are not severely limited on writing space. It is not angle proof, but nearly so.

The deluxe model has pockets to permit me to carry business card size Tarot Cards and other business card size goodies, plus I designed a card that holds my pendulum in place down the center of the case.

For those who believe, no explanation is needed. For those who do not believe, no explanation is necessary. Dunninger
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
A good thread! I may as well mention that Richard Busch has a great book out, Peek Performances, that covers every aspect of the peek and you really could not wish to know more.

Just thought I'd mention it before someone else does!

As for actual peek devices, the humble window envelope is very old but still has many uses and can be devastatingly deceptive. I'd say more but we're not allowed to talk methods here!
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1884 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
where can I purchase Mark's case?
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
Mark Strivings e-mail address is

MarkyApril@aol.com

His snail mail address is
8631 N. Lowell Blvd.,
Westminster, CO 80030.
Phone/Fax 303-650-6992.

-Marty
slydini
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of slydini
Depending on what I'm doing I use either Larry Becker's Insight Wallet, or Becker's Incredible Wallet. After all I've read on this site, I am going to purchase a SUC. I'll probably get version one and two.
Slydini
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Slydini,
You don't need version 1 AND 2. They both do exactly the same thing as far as the "works".
Ted (Leondo)
Alex Reeve
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Alex Reeve
Personnally,
I use the mind Spy wallet. I use it mainly as a peek. it also hold a few other items so I can do A whole impromptu show out of this wallet.

I heared complaint about the size of this wallet. but for me the size is perfect, but then again I live in France where this is a normal size for a wallet
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I also have the Mind Spy Wallet, but have hardly used it since getting the SUC ll.

Drew
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
I have always prefered to use a Jaks style wallet. Both a three fold and a two fold are great for use. Simple and direct, the two key ingedients for a successful tool.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Quote:
On 2001-11-14 21:46, Marelli wrote:
Since there has been some discussion on peek cases, I was wondering what the ’mentalist’ customers at the cafe were using and why?

I now use Strivings Sight Unseen Case (Deluxe).

It holds business cards, plus I can hand the case to the audience assistant to use as backing for the card they are to write on. They will not see or feel anything out of the ordinary.

Also, they are not severely limited on writing space. It is not angle proof, but nearly so.

The deluxe model has pockets to permit me to carry business card size Tarot Cards and other business card size goodies, plus I designed a card that holds my pendulum in place down the center of the case.

For those who believe, no explanation is needed. For those who do not believe, no explanation is necessary. Dunninger

Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Paul brings up a case that is little heard of today, the Jak's type wallet. I do not know what size he uses, the one I had was about twice the size of Strivings' case. It does the job. The drawback was I would not let the audience assistant hold it; however, Jak's is a pretty straightforward wallet. I did not know it was still available.

Two other good ones were Piatt's case and Piatt's wallet.

As with any item like those being discussed, personal preference comes into play. My favorite and the one I now use is Strivings SUC II.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2375 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Quote:
Marelli wrote:
Paul brings up a case that is little heard of today, the Jak's type wallet... Jak's is a pretty straightforward wallet. I did not know it was still available.

I bought a Jaks wallet from Lou Tannen over twenty years ago, and was surprised to receive two wallets, a gimmicked one and a plain one (for examination!!!). Talk about missing the point!

Anyway, I promptly gimmicked the second one as well, and had two for the price of one. Today, I too prefer the Strivings case, but it's nice to know that in an "emergency" you can buy a cheap three-fold wallet at a discount store, and turn it into a Jaks wallet yourself in only a few minutes with a sharp knife.

... Doug
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at Vanishing Inc. and The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
SUC II is the very best wallet on the market today.
It's so simple and so perfect!
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-04-27 23:33, ddyment wrote:
...in an "emergency" you can buy a cheap three-fold wallet at a discount store, and turn it into a Jaks wallet yourself in only a few minutes with a sharp knife.
... Doug

Doug,
One does not need a three fold wallet to make a jaks case and in fact a two fold is just fine. I used to use one with a chain attached to it (the kind you get for motorcycle riders) and a regular two fold case you carry credit cards/business cards with. They are just as effective and the glimpse to use in perfect for wearing a jacket with an inside pocket. If you are not familiar with the move I am refering to, ask me to show you in Reston and I will.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
291 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
I've just received Mark Striving's Sight Unseen Wallet about 2 weeks ago. I must say, it can be summed up in two words: power and simplicity.

Think about this. Open the business card wallet. Show one card on one side (the active side), and there are several on the other side. Show the wallet all around casually as you speak. Then remove the one from the active side, keeping it face down and pointing out that you have only one on that side and it has a prediction on the back of it that you will leave in there for safe keeping. Slide it back into place (ahem . . .). Then have them name any three digit number as you are securing your favorite secret writing device (actually I have it in place at the start of the routine). Then when you open the wallet again, you remove the one card and on the back is their number. This takes thumbwriting to an absolutely new level. This is about as strong and direct as mentalism gets.

I love my Thought Transmitter from John Cornelius, but now that is second string to my Sight Unseen Case because the peek function is so easy.

A practical note. I didn't like the idea of having to carry around another thing because I wasn't accostomed to carrying a business card case—what a drag. I discovered yesterday that the SUC fits perfectly into the sleeve in my check book across from the checks. Now I have a miracle maker with me where ever I go! And, when I use the "peek" effect, I take the SUC out, do the peek thing, return it to inside my check book then back into the back pocket, even further secured from any monkey business, yet I already know what they wrote. Then I go on to guess their thought.

I've even done a simple card to wallet. I have a card selected and returned to the top. I palm the top card off (right hand) while handing the deck to them (left hand). "You shuffle your card into the deck." After a brief pause with my hand at my side, I reach in my back pocket. I had already prepared by putting the SUC in my back right pocket, open side up in a nearly horizontal position (just one corner holding it in my back pocket). The active side faces out and ready to take the card. This is a pretty bold maneuver, but works!

Nice prop Mark Strivings!

I only found out about the Sight Unseen Case II after receiving my SUC I. I understand there is an extra pocket on each side. What am I missing in terms of capability and possible effects?
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1601 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Doug and Paul,
Roger Monaco uses the twofold "Jaks" wallet. I think he is coming to reston. Perhaps the 4 of us can compare notes on it.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Dave, what you are missing is a pocket on either side. They permit you to carry additional cards, effects, etc. There are no additional special properties. See my earlier post in this thread. Oh yes..in the paper that comes with it, you find me mentioned by Mark, for whatever that is worth. %-)
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Perhaps I'll be a devils advocate for a moment but arent peek cases just the tiniest bit suspicious.I mean if Im going to guess what someone has written why would I take it back off them?
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
Quote:
On 2002-05-08 09:15, Martin Pulman wrote:
Perhaps I'll be a devils advocate for a moment but arent peek cases just the tiniest bit suspicious.I mean if Im going to guess what someone has written why would I take it back off them?

Martin,

First off, you aren't going to "guess" anything. If you are really reading minds, you are reading their thoughts.

The reason for having them write the item down and returning it to you even temporarily can be explained in several ways.

One reason that is used is a possibility of forgetting. As you may know, many a card worker has done one too many flourishes or spoken far too much patter to the point that their helper has forgotten what card they took. Since you are effectively putting the spectator on stage either literally or figuratively, you can always say that it is to aid in their remembering the number since they may be a bit nervous in helping you. You suggest this as you are retrieving the card, not before you retrieve it. If you say it before taking the card, they may argue with you leaving you no choice but to move on to another effect.

Another reason puts the blame for taking it back squarely on you. As you take it back, you place it in the wallet or case, make your peek, and put it on the table explaining that this will keep you honest, having it setting here hidden inside the wallet or case as you continue your effect.

Sometimes, I state that a previous person tried to trick me up by chaning his mind and, even though I had discovered his deceit, he changed his mind further and made it impossible for us to continue. Remember to use the word "us" in this line, not "me," and be sure to say it only as you are actually retrieving the card, not before.

As with any suggestion of a spectator having a failing such as poor memory or a desire to change their minds, the reaction to your words when spoken before they hand you the card is different than after you have it. They will often deny that they will forget, trip you up by changing their minds or require proof of your integrity any other way than keeping the card themselves.

Yes, it's all psychological in nature and outright subterfuge but it's all in the presentation.

Best Always,
Ray
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6641 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I use and love the thought transmitter. I recommend putting it away as soon as you've gotten what you need and never mention it again while you do your reading. I think it's an incredible device.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
I mainly do close-up magic, and I have been studying mentalism for a few months now. Mark Striving's SUC has gotten me very excited about performing mentalism. It fits perfectly into my style. It is a small innocent looking business card case that I can take with me anywhere. It is a perfect device to perform what seems to be impromptu mentalism or even "strolling mentalism". I'm sure you haven't heard that phrase often. But its true. Armed with this weapon you can do literally hundreds of effects. This little wallet can be used to peek, load, switch, and secretly write on billets or business cards. The possibilites are endless. I can now update some old effects that are in Corinda's and Anneman's books using the SUC. Plus, I really like the ideas Strivings has in "The Unseen Edition" (booklet with 5 routines using the SUC) with the bi-fold business cards. He also teaches you how to switch a billet with the SUC in his routine "The Invisible Book Test". Anyone who has the case should get this book by Mark. It will open your eyes to more possibilites. Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peek Cases (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL