The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PRISM (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
I really enjoyed PRISM & I am glad it is back in print. Why at double the price? That aside Max is amazing the book and the vast majority of his books and DVD’s are well worth the investment.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Used copies have sold for hundreds of dollars.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
The "color series" was never suppose to be reprinted. When Prism came out, I think many people thought it might be their only chance to get some pretty obscure material? First prints sold out quickly. So I'm guessing that why the higher price. Well worth it though.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
How many books get a second printing at twice the price? That speaks volumes for the desirability and quality of the material!

Good for Max.

Oscar
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Yes, it is good material. I must say I was surprised that the original was only $30.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Actually, the original was priced at $40. It was actually priced lower than many books that were being published at that time dealing with mentalism, so I'm not surprised at all with a $60 tag.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Cryptghost
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Cryptghost
I just bought this book, I saw it on ebay for $xxx, then I suddenly saw it on PenguinMagic and ordered it for $40, I cannot wait to read it, I have heard so many positive reviews about it,
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2544 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Sep 5, 2018, equivoque wrote:
Why at double the price?

Capitalism.
Paul R
View Profile
New user
Londinium
80 Posts

Profile of Paul R
I regularly go back and re-read this. I'm always interested to see how I move my post it notes around, and re-comment my comments as I grow and learn more. Notes from the first reading a decade ago showing my ignorance, and evolving to demonstrate an understanding of the concepts and genius I missed first time around as a relative newcomer. True for many books of course, but for some reason especially this one.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I respect your self reflections Paul Smile I should do what you do.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Paul R
View Profile
New user
Londinium
80 Posts

Profile of Paul R
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
I respect your self reflections Paul Smile I should do what you do.

Sometimes we can learn more from ourselves than we can from others... Smile
danieltirado
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of danieltirado
Wohoiii just purchased it, will give atter my reviews.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
I like the Violet book the best. It is the concluding one in Prism.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Publishing costs more than it used to.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
It is a book everyone should have even if you don't use the exact effects as presented. There are good ideas that will lead you to create your own effects with the same methodology.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Just Desire alone...worth ten times the price of the book.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of Darby
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2018, David Thiel wrote:
Just Desire alone...worth ten times the price of the book.

David

Agree!!!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Destiny is the main reason I bought the book. I’m going to have to reread Just Desire.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Yes, Desire is amazing!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
magiccollector69
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of magiccollector69
Synchronicity that this topic has come up as I've just been re-reading my copy (first edition hardcover apparently) over the past week.

I found one effect in the book, Tis the Season to be Lying, which was interesting because it was simple, and because Christmas is coming. The effect is a L&D test using Christmas gift name tags. 4 are chosen and names are inscribed by party guests, 3 put names of loved ones on their tags, and one puts the name of a non loved one on their tag. A 5th spectator is used to pick a tag at random. The mentalist says to her "If I were to sort through these four tags and find the only one that bears a real [sic] name, wouldn't that be impressive?" The lady nods in agreement. "Well I think it would be even more impressive if YOU did it..."

As a reader at this point I'm thinking, well this IS interesting. I can think of one way that this might be done, but let's read further.

"The performer gets the woman up onto the stage. She is asked to reach out and pick up one tag. This she does. She holds onto this tag as the performer reads out the three that are left."

WOW, thinks I, to borrow from a Ginzu knife commercial, NOW how much would you pay?

So I get to the Modus section: "How do you ensure the spectator picks the proper tag? The answer is E******e." WTH?

The text goes on to note that the technique is described in a book by Bob Lynn. A, presumably modern, footnote notes that the book was never published but the essay was later published in 1976 as Verbal Control.

There's one other effect in Prism which also uses the same Modus. I can only imagine the joy I would have felt back in the day trying to reconcile what was then a common concept of how the technique was used by most amateurs, which was selecting a gem on a Hot Rod, to this tag trick. Thank god I didn't know this trick or I would have tried it I'm sure, then would have been surprised by how badly it was received.

I have Verbal Control. And I finally recently tracked down what it's based on (mentioned in Verbal Control), Phantini's Mental key. And I've even had the good fortune to be at a lecture by Eugene Burger where he tried to teach us this technique. There is no way that that process, no matter how expertly done, can honestly be described as "reaching out and picking up one tag."

This kind of thing wasn't unheard of then of course, neither is it now. In the excellent 1972 beginners book Magic Digest there is a sidebar entitled Truth in Advertising, which includes among other things this: "...a trick in which a billiard ball first appeared in an empty box then then, removed from the box and held openly in the magicians hand, mysteriously vanishes without cover." Customers received ".....and instructions to vanish the ball by your favorite method."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PRISM (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL