The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Branching out (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
50 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
I'm interested in branching out into Mentalism -

I would like to start with 3 effects, but I'm so overwhelmed - from all the books, videos etc -

I would like 3 effects

A reading minds, a project thought and speak w/ dead...

Read minds - A c@nt@r t34r ?
Project thoughts - Out of this World
Speak w/ dead - Slate Immortality?

Book tests are pretty much off limits due to poor eyesight- -

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated -
marc_carrion
View Profile
Special user
614 Posts

Profile of marc_carrion
It seems that you are open to cards (OOTW), so you can do the three effects with cards

Reading minds - Any card control/peek/force and presentation
Project thoughts - OOTW if you are already familiar with it
Speak w/ dead - Haunted deck, or force and eerie reveal
Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
50 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
Marc_carrion -

Thanks for the help. I have all three of the tricks you mentioned in my arsenal. I was dusting off Haunted Deck as Halloween is coming -

Sticking with cards doesn't feel like 'branching' out too much from my regular bag of tricks. I left OOTW in because that was as close to a Mentalism presentation as I had. But if I change the presentation of the others, then it does change things quite a bit.

I'm still interested in learning some of the billet work - I work with coins quite a bit and love the sleight of hand involved, and some of the billet sleights intrigue me.

And again the Slate Immunity really intrigues me -- simple - but some good stuff there.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2006 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Just gonna say if your eyesight isn’t good enough for reading a book, deciphering sloppy handwriting in a CT is going to be brutal.

If you read Step 1 of Corrinda, you can do all three of your proposed effect categories.

Patrick
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2588 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Personally I say ditch the cards.

Reading Minds - Peek wallet like Blink or impression pad like the ParaPad.
Project Thoughts - Free Will by Corbuzier/Elmwood, or maybe Dream Lock by Alan Wong
Speak with Dead - Honestly, my first instinct is to say you're not ready to play this particular game. But perhaps something like Vox Dominus or a spirit bell of some sort. This is basically its own branch in itself so I'm not sure how to suggest anything useful.

But I also think you're just thinking about this backwards. You need to figure out your character and then from there you can decide what that character would do.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12228 Posts

Profile of John C
Go slow.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2625 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2018, Ironjim wrote:
I'm interested in branching out into Mentalism -

I would like 3 effects

A reading minds, a project thought and speak w/ dead...

(singing) One of these things is not like the others....
Smile
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Learn to read the Tarot or palms then learn the A-Z system.

Far more entertaining and intriguing then tricks.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
DO EVERYTHING!

get a grip on persona and presentation first...everything else is secondary...

Who do you wanna be, what's the skillset and WHY?

B*ll#t work and an I'm* pad will sort the rest out...
I've asked to be banned
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I agree with Iain and take it slow. I have booked gigs with just a simple card reveal! whether it’s based off a for*e/control or with a mar*ed deck, it’s the presentation that makes or breaks it. Doing such things will help you practice because if you’re comfortable with cards, this will allow you to work out presentations and make what you’re doing seem real. You can’t go wrong with some of the suggested material above but start out with what you’re comfortable with, work on your presentations and go from there
Twitter @darjames
Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
50 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
Thank you for all the comments -

Some of the bigger pieces I'm taking away from this is to find the character and let the effects fall in line with the character.

Eye sight is a limitation - but, I'm aware of the limitation and can work around it. In the past I've played up this weakness, and nobody ever thought I would be able to peek a card Smile

I've also noticed some concern with the speak w/ dead part - eh, to each there own I guess. Where do you draw the line on Extra Sensory Perception? Does that piece crossover to Bizarre too much? I'll keep thinking about that...

Again - putting together the character and the rest will follow.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Use the weakness as a strength, bad eyesight meant you appreciated sounds more and thinking time...you've how to truly listen etc
I've asked to be banned
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2588 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Claiming to speak to the dead will cause all manner of reactions among the magicians out there. That's not really my concern, though - My concern is that it doesn't fit.

Reading minds and influencing thoughts is one thing - speaking to the dead is another.

There are many ways to play the part of the medium, but I think it's generally agreed that if you're going to try to do it convincingly you have to commit. "Is the card you're thinking of the Jack of Hearts? Yes! Excellent ... WAIT! I'm getting a spirit message from your aunt Mildred ..." - doesn't really work. Unless you want to be a caricature.

My concern is also that it feels like you're just treating this stuff like another set of tricks. That's not how one creates an effective mentalism performance, and definitely not how one creates an effective mediumistic performance.

In short - I suggest a lot more research before just deciding to do a routine where you appear to speak to the dead.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2018, Ironjim wrote:
I'm interested in branching out into Mentalism...

I am curious as to why? We hear magicians by the dozens say this, but rarely do they ever give the reasons why or the reasons for their interests. So if you don't mind, what is attracting you to mentalism and why? Whats the reason, purpose or point for you?

My follow-up question would be - what do you see mentalism as? Thanks.
Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
50 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
Chris - Your absolutely correct, I did begin by thinking of this as another set of tricks. I'm trying to open my mind and listen to the above advice, and develop a character and allow the effects to come from that. And I'm going to be challenged on the Speak w dead- It may be a whole character by itself. ESP is a broad category ---- take the sixth sense "I see dead people" ... I don't have a great answer for it, I dig that stuff -- However, I am listening to all the advice - and I see the red flags around that concept - I would like to explore it a bit... maybe it fits my character, maybe it doesn't. One of my favorite performers is Eugene Burger, so a little dark is good to me.

Mindpro - Great question. Just as an example - I can watch a mentalist perform a trick. And man they really 'milk' the presentation. I can watch someone else perform the same trick - and it's one and done. (and believe me this is a gross over simplification and not meant to offend anyone.) And maybe I'm wrong, but really adding to the presentation. I think adding character to the presentation should be in there also.

As to your follow up question, I see Mentalism as taking the presentation a step higher. Also, the effects really hit home on some people. Just good stuff to me. And none of this is to say that you can't have a great presentation with magic. Sure, I could do 'mental magic', but I don't know, just exploring some options right now.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Thanks for the honest explanation of your thoughts and approach.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2006 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I find that most magic is effect without cause. Bizarre magic, broadly speaking, is stories where the magic is the illustration. But most magic is lacking a reason for the impossible to happen. Why do the rings pass through each other? What is the theatrical purpose of the little balls multiplying? Why does the coin move from one hand to the other? If someone could really alter the fabric of the universe and make impossible things happen, would he really waste it on sponge balls and egg bags? Therein lies the real problem with conventional magic, I feel.

Mentalism has a cause in the premise. I’m psychic. I know psychology that lets me figure things out. My brain works differently from most. I’ve trained my brain. Perhaps I hear dead people. Regardless of what your presentation is, the fact that there is a premise, a reason for what you do, a process, a purpose, this gives an explanation for the effect. Human beings are big on cause and effect and most magic is a bit disappointing because pure effect with no cause leaves us uncomfortable. It is easier to dismiss a performance as “just tricks” when there is no cause for what happens. Mentalism has an implicit cause, therefore is potentially a more believable performance art.

That’s what I think, anyway. I also think that too many efforts at mental magic are without a clear connection to cause. The performer says “I’m gonna psychically influence you to pick a card, the card I want you to find.” Then he f*rces the card and never explains how there was any influence at all. The trick is fooling, but not convincing. Because the cause isn’t really there.

Patrick
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2588 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Basically all I'm saying is do your research and be prepared for the possible reactions if you plan to delve into serious seance/mediumship kinds of presentations. When seance/mediumistic performances are down well there is a strong potential for extreme emotional reactions. Be prepared.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
50 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
I'm really glad I posted here first. Thanks for all the advice- I do appreciate all the red flags- and I'm taking those serious.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1219 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Theres an ebook available at lybrary.com written by Bob Cassidy titled Fundamentals, start there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Branching out (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL