The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Branching out (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
Before you become a mentalist, watch the old black and white movie “Nightmare Alley.” Seriously. Then just spend some time with your imagination, and imagine what it would really be like if you started experiencing paranormal phenomena in your life. Occasionally at first, then more often. What would your REAL emotional reactions be? How would you react? Who would you tell, and why? What would be happening? Watch the show “Shut-Eye” on Hulu, it’s just about the best depiction of what sudden psychic awareness would be like. Very clever show. Intuition is a very right brain thing. No words, lots of pictures, smells, sounds, symbols.

Maybe contacting other minds directly triggers your endorphins and you have become addicted to it which is why you started performing. Maybe you promised a psychic relative you would carry on the family tradition, but for you it is an embarrassing or even a begrudging burden, and you’re waiting for them to die so you don’t have to do it anymore. Maybe you’re a scientist testing a new experimental drug protocol for the military on an unsuspecting public. None of your audience will ever know your fictional backstory but it will put you in character and motivate everything about your reactions and your performance. Maybe you are a member of a LARP group who role play being mentalists for real audiences and then go out for pizza afterwards to laugh about it. Make up a good story about who you are and what is happening and why you are performing for the public and THEN start looking for mentalism that fits. I totally agree with Mr. Woolery, great comments.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is great advice but most interested these days in mentalism here these days have little interest in psy, paranormal, ESP or actual mental abilities.
Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
50 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
@ProfessorMagicJMG - That movie suggestion was fantastic. It really hit the nail on the head. The act started with x-ray vision, then the audience lead it to speak w/dead. Great cold / hot readings as well. Really good movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

@Mindpro - I relate it a bit to coin magic. When I do a false take, if I believe the coin is in my empty hand, so should the spectators. I believe I feel it in my empty hand so that conveys over to them as well. Does that translate to mentalism? Do you 'believe' your reading minds even though you know the effect/method?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Branching out (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL