The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reason for your CT (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Peter Morrissey
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Peter Morrissey
I always found this the one draw back on this method as opposed to say, a b#@@&t SW&£#h.

Anyone got a good reason they give for doing it? Why write it down to seconds later...you know what.

The "oh you hand wrote it? No I said print" seems not great to me
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
920 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
I don't usually use it but this justification always worked for me:

(Roughy write up)
Hmm, it seems hard for you to focus on this as a written word, I'm not getting anything.

Here, write this down and stare at the writing for 3-4 seconds.

Now look at me... Perfect, it's much clearer now. We don't need this now
Reader discretion is advised.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
The original 'Name and Place' by Bruce Bernstein is among the best motivations I've heard.

Also, if it's done in the context of a ritual of some kind (we need to tear this up and burn it), it can definitely make sense, though that doesn't work for everyone's character obviously.

Another good one is to have the thought shown to another person - "Okay now that you've seen it also, let's destroy it so there's absolutely no way for me to see it".

Having said that. I very rarely use a CT in my work. Even if I need to tear something, I'd probably go for the classic or a sW1764 and delayed r3@6. As cool as the instant ones are in theory, I've had too many instances of terrible, or tiny, or not in the correct area writing.

I do think it's a good thing to have in your arsenal however. You can do it with nearly any kind of random paper.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Research the work of Iain Dunford and Dave Moses. They have the best motivation on the planet.
Check out my (soon to be released) ebook, WANDERER at..
www.experience-architecture.com
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1944 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
There are some some excellent motivations for a CT and I agree you will find them in the sources suggested above, as well as others such as the work of Richard Osterlind and Bill Cushman.

That said, for several years I worked with a number of CTs. I would be initially enthusiastic about each, then stop using it for one reason or another and move on to another. The main problems for me were trying to decipher small or illegible handwriting with what usually amounts to a very brief time to read what's been written, and also getting called out a number of times when getting the read. Just my opinion, but I don't think CTs are as deceptive as some think.

Eventually I gave up CTs and started using full p@@ks instead.
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I too prefer p**ks over a tear as I find it to be more natural for me. When I did use a tear, my motivation was along the lines that when you write something down, it helps you visualize what your focusing on or something like thst. I can’t remember the exact patter. When I use a p**k, I usually don’t have any motivation I just have them do it and that’s it. The rest is all incorporated within the actual presentation and just makes sense. I also feel part of it is confidence. Whatever I’m getting them to write something down for any type of p**k, and extremely confident about it and never think anything of it. Where is with a CT, I feel like I would sometimes lack that confidence which is huge.
Twitter @darjames
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4462 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Have an assistant instruct the participant to write down their thoughts. When you come into the room, say that you didn't need anything written down and tear the paper up.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1582 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Have an assistant instruct the participant to write down their thoughts. When you come into the room, say that you didn't need anything written down and tear the paper up.


Nice ruse, taken directly from Dunninger, I believe. ☺

Richard Osterlind has written and spoken extensively about this - to summerise his sage advice, just tell your volunteer 'that's how it is.' As a footnote from me, if you don't feel comfortable saying this, then don't do a CT. Simple.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12228 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Have an assistant instruct the participant to write down their thoughts. When you come into the room, say that you didn't need anything written down and tear the paper up.


Nice ruse, taken directly from Dunninger, I believe. ☺

Richard Osterlind has written and spoken extensively about this - to summerise his sage advice, just tell your volunteer 'that's how it is.' As a footnote from me, if you don't feel comfortable saying this, then don't do a CT. Simple.


so if you don't want to say that particular line don't do a CT?

sounds kinda limited.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1582 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
What’s ‘limited’, IMO is looking for justification for any effect you perform. How about just performing and letting your persona carry you through? Nothing ‘limited’ about that.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4462 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Nice ruse, taken directly from Dunninger, I believe. ☺


Thanks! I couldn't remember where it was from. (And I was too lazy to look it up.) Smile
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Peter Morrissey
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Peter Morrissey
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, Waters. wrote:
Research the work of Iain Dunford and Dave Moses. They have the best motivation on the planet.


Thanks waters! I'll do that! Sounds interesting
Peter Morrissey
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Peter Morrissey
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, Stunninger wrote:
There are some some excellent motivations for a CT and I agree you will find them in the sources suggested above, as well as others such as the work of Richard Osterlind and Bill Cushman.

That said, for several years I worked with a number of CTs. I would be initially enthusiastic about each, then stop using it for one reason or another and move on to another. The main problems for me were trying to decipher small or illegible handwriting with what usually amounts to a very brief time to read what's been written, and also getting called out a number of times when getting the read. Just my opinion, but I don't think CTs are as deceptive as some think.

Eventually I gave up CTs and started using full p@@ks instead.



I lean towards p@@ks too. I guess we all do. It's good to know a few roads to the same destination to throw people off the scent. Thanks All for the feed back, I appreciate it and the bits that say don't justify it.

In many ways I ask for my performers self. I need to justify it to my self in a clear way so my performance of it is solid and clear to the people watching.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2196 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, Waters. wrote:
Research the work of Iain Dunford and Dave Moses. They have the best motivation on the planet.


Ahem.... why thank you Sean, but then again, you’ve always had great taste!

D
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
Peter Morrissey
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Peter Morrissey
Ah Dave! How cool. Is there a work in particular Sean is talking of?
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
2 Things and I'm not sure they matter much?

1. Is if your going to t**r it up you don't need to b**n it. It's kind of redundant.
2. If you t**r it up to put it into something baring you from "touching it" the procedure is logical.

I'm thinking Docc Hilford on his Psychic Pitch Act videos.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2265 Posts

Profile of ddyment
A pair of observations ...

1) There are few things more extensively discussed on the Café than motivations for CTs. At least one entire book exists on the subject. There are many, many possible approaches, and it takes little effort to research same. For the record, I think that everything a mentalist does needs strong motivation, but I also think that, in the vast majority of instances, that motivation should be self-evident. That is, you shouldn't be explicitly explaining something ("I'm asking you to write this down because ..."). Ideally, it should be inherently obvious to participants why you are doing what you are doing.

Remember that a CT is simply a technique: it is not an effect. It is not even a plot. Generally, it's not a particularly good idea to be constructing a performance piece primarily on the basis of a technique that you find intriguing. It betrays a weak understanding of the art of performance.

2) A CT is a particular technique for executing a p**k. Comments like "I prefer a peek to a CT" are misinformed (unless they have tried to use a CT without a p**k, in which case their preference is understandable). You can certainly do a p**k without a CT. Or a p**k without folding the billet, or a p**k without touching the billet, or even a p**k without anything being written down. A CT, however, is definitely a p**k technique.
"Calculated Thoughts" now available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10135 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Very nice!
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2588 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I really hate this piece of paper. Before I tear it up in anger, write a really angry word on it.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, dmoses wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, Waters. wrote:
Research the work of Iain Dunford and Dave Moses. They have the best motivation on the planet.


Ahem.... why thank you Sean, but then again, you’ve always had great taste!

D


I agree.

We have some very strong motivations and presentations. Logical and adaptable too.
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reason for your CT (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL