The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching Magic to Develop Critical Thinking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
Bill Nye once recommended teaching magic as a way to encourage critical thinking in children. I have been thinking of a project to do that. My plan would be to show a trick, then have the kids, singly, in pairs, or in small groups, try to figure out how it was done. We would discuss each of their solutions before showing how it was done. I would begin with simple stuff like the table knife behind the palm. I could, just for fun, after their done, do it again with an entirely different method.

All well and good, but at the same time, I would like them to be connected with the Wonder of magic. And teach things like "Don't be a jerk. The WORST thing you can say to a magician is 'I know how you did that.'"

So, how to encourage critical thinking and preserve the experience of wonder at the same time?
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
388 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
The German magician Wolfgang Hund published several good brochures how teachers can use magic tricks for lots of reasons, one of them was to support critical thinking. Some of the German brochures were called "Zauberhaftes Lernen". I am rather sure there are also some English texts about that topic, maybe ask Wolfgang Hund in an email about them (http://www.hund-hersbruck.de/web_neu/).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Teaching Magic to Develop Critical Thinking (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL